User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,203
Laugh Bums ride @ Eastern Rendezvous '10

It's true, I'm really not very smart. You see I volunteered myself to lead a ride at the 9th annual RDV, if that's not bad enough it was the ride with the latest start time.

I dubbed it "Bums on Big Bikes" and it quickly became referred to as the "Bum Ride" and the "Hangover Ride"
I think you can see now where this is headed

In case you're not familiar with ADV's RDV, a R1100RICK aka Party Boss event, CLICK HERE for everything you did and didn't want to know.

Pics, comments, tall tales and complaints to follow......

If you rode with me either Friday or Saturday please feel free to add any or all of the above!!!
Old 05-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

Usually before you can lead a ride you need to scout a route. That I did.....even the parts I knew well just so that I would know the current conditions after a bad winter.

For the sake of those viewing here that were not a part of this event I'm going to quote myself from the planning thread.

This is how I advertised the Bum Ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo
knybanjo's ride info

Bums on Big Bikes

Departing @ 10:30 from Stations Inn Friday and Saturday

So you overslept, or breakfast took too long, or maybe the line for the can was out the door, or you had to go back for….

Well here’s your second chance to not have to think about getting lost. You can let me do that for you!

I plan to go out in search of mythical places that I have been told do not exist. I have also been warned not to bother looking for them, for legend has it that they are guarded by creatures that make the garden variety snakes and dragons of the Appalachians look like the pets of a school girl.

While I can’t make you any promises or accept any responsibility for the carnage that may ensue……you are welcome to follow along!

The path will be narrow and steep, many corners will be blind, pavement will be coarse, patchy or nonexistent, loose gravel and debris will be plentiful but straight-aways few. The pace will be brisk when the terrain allows, although I doubt any speed records will be set.

You should have an adventure style bike and not afraid to ride it on steep 1 lane dirt roads.

Be fueled up and prepared to take care of yourself, it will be 80 miles before we even see a gas pump or modern loo. But the total mileage shouldn’t be much more than 212.6 or so….so don’t worry, we should still be back in time for dinner and I aint afraid to take a short-cut or two to make that happen!

Lunch?
I suppose that’ll be negotiable, but there will be a couple of chances to buy a snack at the very least.

The rules are simple

1) Always make sure the rider behind you sees and makes the turn. Stop and wait at the intersection if need be.

Don’t worry that you lose sight of the rider in front as they will do the same for you at the next turn.

2) Don’t ride over your head, we’ll wait. Crashes are the biggest ride delayer/ender of them all.

3) It’s not a race. So there’s no need to pass, we can give each other some breathing room.

4) Don't separate from the group without making it clear to another member of the group that that's what you're doing!!! Please don't make us worry about what happened to you and spend all afternoon looking for you!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full pre-run was done on 4-24
My route is in really bad shape!
Lots of sand and grit on top of the pavement, broken pavement, bad patch work etc. The signs of that terrible winter definitely remain!

One narrow little paved but unpainted mountain road that's nothing but blind corners with no guardrails to
protect you from the steep drop offs may be the worst, as it's North facing slope is still covered with slag on top of poor pavement.

Plenty of opportunities for a low side along this course ...a lot of the gravel had been freshly graded too, can you say "marbles"?

(in fact the dirt looks to have received more recent maintenance than the pavement in many cases)

But I guess all that is what makes it an Adventure ride.

May 8th...too excited not to ride!

I've decided to change things up on Sat vs. Fri. Since the possibility of having to cut the loop short in order to get back for dinner looms large.... I'm going to reverse my route and add more dirt to Saturday's first sections.

I've been google earth'n doing a few fly overs along my proposed route etc.

Rally Central is in the bottom center of this pic.

misc route fly overs...

Fri am?

both fri and sat...maybe opposite directions?

below was bad, narrow, sand covered pavement with no guardrails a couple weeks ago...

sat am?

Aint Google fun?

My ride misc pics.

That was the plan.......reality to follow......
Old 05-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

Since it's my ride report I'll post my ride to the RDV too.

I decided to just take it easy and ride like a tourist along the Blue Ridge Parkway....but it was still closed at Jonas Ridge on Thursday.

...but I was able to access it just South of the via-duct on Grandfather Mtn.

The crazies were out in force.

It was a nice ride on a typical springtime day.....

I ended up being worried about the battery on my bike....the waitresses at Freebourne's made a few phone calls and found a gel battery for a V-Strom in stock at Car Quest...just 12 miles up the road in Sparta!! No pics of that excursion but I returned to camp to find the event growing in size.

The Party Boss and Lady Draco getting ready to boil up some mudbugs!!

While ktmMike and advtenn discuss their routes for the weekend!!

Apparently advtenn's bike needed some practice laying on it's side before it could ride Iron Mtn.

The other side too?

Then some shady characters began rolling into camp.......

Chuck rolled in all the way from New Orleans on this rig....a true adventurer.

And then I put my camera away for the evening so as to not be called in as a witness.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
PARTY BOSS™
FORMERLY R1100RICK

Oddometer: 5,421
Kevin , I have so much respect for you, I can never express it properly . You sir are the greatest . And this ride report , is the best rally report I have ever seen . An epic , awesome , work of art!
04'xt225 yamahammer
00' R0050RS Kinder Beemer SOLD

When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour. My nerves are jaded and gone near dead, so that nothing less then hours of voluntary danger will prick them into life..."

T.E. Lawrence
PARTY BOSS™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

If you rode with me Friday now would be a good time to add some of your pics please.....how about pretty please.

@ 10:30 17 people on 15 bikes lined up! (I was later informed that some may have still overslept)

It looked like a good group but somebody didn't heed the rules and there was a split. At the 1st full group re-gathering we were missing 5 bikes!

I retraced the last couple of turns while the remaining 10 waited but they were not to be found.

Immediately after that we were faced with a need to re-route.

Yep...still have 10.

Some scenery near the NC/VA border....

Still have a couple of bikes hanging with me at the end of a twisty section!

Actually they were all still along for the ride and I snapped this quick pic just a moment too soon. Right after I put the camera back in my pocket Cigars&Scotch made a great save after a detour down the ditch!
But all's well that ends well.

Then it was time for a pit stop....Eickey's tire needed a plug...thankfully it was an easy fix!

Rockin & Rollin and RETOX had street legal dirt bikes but had missed the start of the Iron Mtn single track ride. I told Rollin that I'd be going right past the Northern trailhead on my ride and he could try to catch them if he liked. He liked and RETOX joined him but they never did catch advtenn's group.....now we were 9 riders on 8 bikes.

At the bottom of a long marbled downhill we were missing 4 on 3 bikes....they showed up a few minutes later but unfortunately JDLuke and his wife had gone down in the marbles. She tweaked a knee and the bike had a few scratches and bent brake pedal but thankfully nothing worse....they understandably opted for the quickest rout back at that point.

L-R below My little piggy, Boojum on XR650, Robbie on GS650, sanjoh on Ninja 650 dirtbike!, RAW on 950.

Friday's route crossed the AT several times...but this is the only pic of it I tried to snap.....

The remaining 7 took a "shortcut" over the mtn and had lunch outside of Marion.

Lunch was nothing special and took a pretty big chunk of time, we were all in a pretty mellow mood afterwards, myself included. Cigars&Scotch decided to take the shortest route back to camp, which is still pretty darn nice btw...the rest of us took a more scenic and twisty parallel as we all decided to get back in plenty of time for dinner.

One last pitstop for the remaining 6.

Friday was a bit dusty on the gravel sections.....one of the bonuses of leading.

That's the end of my pics from Friday

If you rode with me.....please post 'em if you've got 'em!!
Old 05-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1100RICK
Kevin , I have so much respect for you, I can never express it properly . You sir are the greatest . And this ride report , is the best rally report I have ever seen . An epic , awesome , work of art!
Your check is in the mail for that endorsement.

You sir, are THE PARTY BOSS!! Thanks again for continuing to put on this great rally that just keeps getting better!!

...and for letting me be a part of it...I really did have a great time scouting and leading these rides!!
Old 05-18-2010, 05:51 AM   #7
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1100RICK
+1^6

Fantastic rides Kevin. Your ride prep showed. You must of had a GPS embedded at birth.

Thank you
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:04 AM   #8
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 629
Looks like a great route. Sorry I missed it, but there just wasn't enough time to do them all.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:06 AM   #9
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,662
The gathering

JDluke n wife intact

Dat bike a bit big fer ya? Eeickey

Smiles

Small bikes take this path

Fresh gravel makes for lots o marbles. JDLuke, KnyBanjo and Myself had some close calls here.

Whew! Finished that gravel. Robby calls me Mr. Flat-tracker while I check my undies for solids

Lunch break in Marion

Dirt Ninja

Boojum - Nice to meet ya.

That's all the pics I have for Friday.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #10
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,948
Pete, Sweetfeed, and I, along with Ray and Jeff were separated from the Friday ride early and thought we would just explore the area. I can see from your pics that we ended up following you most of the way.

Great area and great route Kevin.

I have some pics that I'll post up shortly.

It was great to see you and ... what a great time at the RDV!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:12 AM   #11
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Here's what I have from the hangover ride, sorry we missed the last bit but SWMBO's leg is going to take some healing.

First, a picture that sums up so much. It has a little bit of everything.

Some portraits of the noble crew. I think these were taken just after losing the first group, some three minutes into the ride.

Then there was Eeickey's flat, another photo op:

JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Kenny, Thanks for a really FUN ride on Friday morning/afternoon. GREAT route, and a fun bunch of people. Here are a few from the many many goat trails Knybanjo took us on,.........again, FUN, FUN Time!!!!!

Then, it was back to RDV Central in Laurel Springs...................................
Redone took to the grill for some HoBo Scallops!

Redbud was so taken by Redone and his Scallop cooking skills, he just had to give it a try himself.

Redone decided it was time for an afternoon shave @ Area 51.

Again, I had a BLAST this year,......again. Glad I did'nt blow it out the night before, and miss this ride. Oh wait,...... This was the Hangover Ride, Right?

Boojum
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #13
Cigars&Scotch
My eyes are up here

Oddometer: 1,833
Kevin

You are an amazing,amazing man. I really think you have a 12 channel GPS chip embedded in your skull. How you remembered which way to go and then reroute after the bridge was out was truly amazing.

Sorry I didn't take any pics, but after that weekend of debauchery, I really did not want any evidence laying around.

Thanks again for all your effort and time to put smiles on everyone's faces.

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #14
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

Thanks for the comments and pics everybody!!

I'm hoping that there's still some more out there....
Old 05-19-2010, 08:28 AM   #15
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

JDLuke,

Is there any update on your wife's knee?

I'm hoping that it was just an impact bruise and that there's no internal damage. :fingerscrossed