Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #31
shep532
Still a novice !!

Oddometer: 470
Ok I went out on the bike first time since fitting the pre-filter.

Seems to run fine but possibly a bit different seemed to pull cleaner from low down but I ain't sure

definitly sounded different - little bit noisier as the revs rose but in a good way

so - I'm impressed
shep532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #32
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Thumb

Just installed the kit on my '03. Really nicely made. I think I'll relocate the ECU though. It inhibits the R&R of the a/c lid on my bike. This is with the unit lowered the 20mm. Its the plastic bracket itself that keeps the snorkel from flexing enough to get the lid aligned to drop in place.

Next is to get the jetting spot on. There is a bit of a bog on WOT until the revs get above 6k. I'll prolly play with the needle first as the machine pulls like a banshee once the rpms are up. The beast actually feels a bit like my old '67 BSA Hornet in the lower gears (tries to spit me off the back

Great craftsmanship Pyn. Thanks for your yeoman's work on this project.
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #33
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
I think I'll relocate the ECU though. It inhibits the R&R of the a/c lid on my bike. This is with the unit lowered the 20mm. Its the plastic bracket itself that keeps the snorkel from flexing enough to get the lid aligned to drop in place. -cp
I think you dropped a bollock and cut the snorkel too short if that's happening

No seriously, I don't have that issue

Blame it on the instructions that usually works

Glad you like it though.

Pyn
My Dakar Rally Experience
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #34
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
Next is to get the jetting spot on. There is a bit of a bog on WOT until the revs get above 6k. I'll prolly play with the needle first as the machine pulls like a banshee once the rpms are up. The beast actually feels a bit like my old '67 BSA Hornet in the lower gears (tries to spit me off the back
Would appreciate it if you could report back any jetting changes you found necessary. Wasnt expecting to need to make any (aside from reverting to stock jetting after removing the UNI)
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #35
shep532
Still a novice !!

Having ridden the bike a bit more ....................... full throttle from about 4000/4500 had a bit of a flat - then off it went.

Can't say I noticed this before the pre-filter - and it was only a very slight glitch but happened a couple of times.

I'm gonna take the pre-charger thingy off and try - then maybe take the whole filter off and try.

Could just be my bike - the EFI hates me

I doubt this would much affect my riding of the bike if it is caused by yhe pre-filter
Old 06-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #36
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo
Would appreciate it if you could report back any jetting changes you found necessary. Wasnt expecting to need to make any (aside from reverting to stock jetting after removing the UNI)
You don't need to make any changes, the bike will act just the same as it did before you used the uni. The K&N pre-filter acts just like the standard snorkel, the effective breathable area of the filter is actually larger than the snorkel itself. I've ran one of these for over 30,000miles now with stock jetting, I'm not worried at all, it runs more than strong enough and you've seen the way I ride

I'd be happy to see dyno sheets though if somebody is willing to put it on one. If not, I'll get it on the dyno when I get time.

For those that have already fitted it, please confirm that the bike is 100% ridable, I don't want people worrying about nothing.

Pyn
My KTM 950 Story

Pyndon screwed with this post 06-11-2010 at 02:38 PM
Old 06-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #37
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon
You don't need to make any, the bike will act just the same as it did before you used the uni. The K&N pre-filter acts just like the standard snorkel. I've ran one of these for 30,000 miles with stock jetting.

Thats what Im expecting.
Odd that CP mentions a bog...
Old 06-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #38
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Thats what Im expecting.
If there is a bog I've ridden round it for 30K which I think you'll agree is unlike me. Jetting changes so much with environment and atmosphere that tiny glitches like this are often hardly worth dialling out IMO.

Granted it needs to run strong and mine runs like a scalded cat......well it does now
My KTM 950 Story
Old 06-11-2010, 11:23 PM   #39
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Definitely NOT a "problem" for me. Like I said, it wants to spit me off the back. I'll just keep it pegged through the gears (which is the way I have always ridden it anyway).

The a/c lid fitment problem is probably something analogous to my early bike. I actually cut the snorkel a few mm longer than the instructions, in case I needed to clean up the cut (I didn't). Simple to move the ECU mount forward a couple of cm next time I have it off.
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem screwed with this post 06-11-2010 at 11:34 PM
Old 06-12-2010, 01:09 AM   #40
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The a/c lid fitment problem is probably something analogous to my early bike. I actually cut the snorkel a few mm longer than the instructions, in case I needed to clean up the cut (I didn't). Simple to move the ECU mount forward a couple of cm next time I have it off.
-cp
CP, if you are referring to the air box lid not fitting with the snorkel assembly in place, it doesn't. You need to fit the airbox lid first and then the snorkel.

You can do this by inserting one corner of the snorkel and then flexing / squashing to get the other four corners seated right. This is how I do it, I'm sure I put that in the destructions.

I see what your doing though, if you move the CDI forwards then you could just remove the air box lid without removing the snorkel. Your bike is the same as mine I think, one of the first early 03's.

Pyn
My KTM 950 Story
Old 06-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #41
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon
CP, if you are referring to the air box lid not fitting with the snorkel assembly in place, it doesn't. You need to fit the airbox lid first and then the snorkel.

You can do this by inserting one corner of the snorkel and then flexing / squashing to get the other four corners seated right. This is how I do it, I'm sure I put that in the destructions.

I see what your doing though, if you move the CDI forwards then you could just remove the air box lid without removing the snorkel. Your bike is the same as mine I think, one of the first early 03's.

Pyn
Ruh roh ... must be a language mixup. "Don't know my bum from a hole in the ground," As my old mum used to say That's the only way it will work with the modded snorkel fur sure. The stock snorkel was narrow enough to flex forward and allow the lid to align. As I said I don't see this as a problem since removing the a/c box lid will so seldom have to be done. ie: maybe just every 15k miles or so to check the valves. Definitely worth it for the extra top end hp and ease of prefilter cleaning over the Uni.

-cp

Old 06-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #42
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Quote:

Thats what Im expecting.
Mooky, I wholly recommend this piece of kit. You can't see the full quality of it 'til you hold it in your hands, BTW.

The "bog" I am getting is only noticeable to me if I purposely ride the bike at lower than my normal speed in the upper gears (4-5-6th). For all I know, the stock configuration does the same thing. I only noticed it with this pre-filter because I was trying it out at all rpms and speeds to test for any changes in performance over the Uni. I wouldn't have ever noticed it riding "normally." The only thing I notice then, is the tendency for the beast to stretch my arms to the limit and try to toss me off the back (something the Uni didn't do)
You WON'T be sorry you purchased it.
-cp

-cp

Old 06-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #43
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Quote:
Mooky, I wholly recommend this piece of kit. You can't see the full quality of it 'til you hold it in your hands, BTW.

The "bog" I am getting is only noticeable to me if I purposely ride the bike at lower than my normal speed in the upper gears (4-5-6th). For all I know, the stock configuration does the same thing. I only noticed it with this pre-filter because I was trying it out at all rpms and speeds to test for any changes in performance over the Uni. I wouldn't have ever noticed it riding "normally." The only thing I notice then, is the tendency for the beast to stretch my arms to the limit and try to toss me off the back (something the Uni didn't do)
You WON'T be sorry you purchased it.
-cp
I dont need convincing
(Ive already got it. )
Old 06-23-2010, 04:28 AM   #44
shep532
Still a novice !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep532
Having ridden the bike a bit more ....................... full throttle from about 4000/4500 had a bit of a flat - then off it went.

Can't say I noticed this before the pre-filter - and it was only a very slight glitch but happened a couple of times.

I'm gonna take the pre-charger thingy off and try - then maybe take the whole filter off and try.

Could just be my bike - the EFI hates me

I doubt this would much affect my riding of the bike if it is caused by yhe pre-filter
OK - I have now covered at least 450 miles since fitting the pre-filter kit on my 2007 990 Adventure and I can confirm there is no detrimenal affect on the bike at all. It pulls hard and strong through the whole throttle range and I can't fault it.

I won't be worrying about this filter anymore and it will remain on the bike.

I recently did 250 miles up in the Lake District - there were 3 of us on Adventures and on the tarmac sections between lanes we were not hanging about ......... the bike performed faultlessly and has completely worn out a brand new rear Michelin Desert - 250 miles and it's now just about time to change it The bike was lifting the front at every opportunity and not a single hiccup, flat spot or fuelling issue at all.

Therefore - the Pyndon Pre-Filter kit for the 990 Adventure gets my stamp of approval. It's a great piece of kit. Well made, well designed and does what it's meant to. After the dusty trails of the weekend I can see the dust on the filter (doesn't need cleaning yet) and it's good to know none of this will have got through to the relatively expensive paper filter. i can simply remove the pre-filter - wash and refit if required.

I'm chuffed to bits as we say here in Lancashire

Pete
Old 06-23-2010, 04:15 PM   #45
kahoon
who's yer daddy??

Oddometer: 2,392
talk about lightning FAST shipping its taken double the time to get stuff shipped from south of the border, let alone the other side of the pond! you da man, Pyn. got the kit today and looks to be top quality, just need to find the time to install it

cheers mate
kahoon is offline   Reply With Quote