ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #31
bearcat1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
I was 16 and mowing the grass at a cemetary in Monroe. I remember seeing a few UH-1 Huey helicopters fly overhead and then noticed the ash plume to the south. That is all I really remember on that day. Funny thing was all those entrepreneurs selling small vials of volcanic ash! Man you could get that stuff by the truck load for free!
bearcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #32
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,247
on a hot date first to U district street fair, some mumbling about the Mtn going on.... on to Long Acres, betting the horses.... announcer comes on, " look to your south shitheads..." ( ok made the shit head part up) 12K people looking south with mouths wide open, total silence from a loud as hell race track, for about 25 seconds you could of hear a mouse fart. then it was back to winning the rent, or bar tab etc... IF I had a photo ( and no one does) of all of those meatheads ,me included, looking south, slack jaw in amazement, looking at the plume, total Life mag cover shot, that would of been a historic shot..... think the original apple mac ad drones, times 4000.
hey I had a cold beer, hot date, who the hell want to drag a camera around, be out across the field......

HighwayChile screwed with this post 05-18-2010 at 09:50 PM
HighwayChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:48 PM   #33
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,247
after the track it was to the lower queen anne joint that had the 49 cent drinks, jungle theme place

only after hit dates place to watch the news. imagine the news media today. my brother knew several people killed in the blast, I knew a bunch of friends that hiked the cone before the blast. not me. I am damn good at history , geography,......... krakatoa, whoa. they heard it in london, UK
I knew enough to stay the hell away.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:48 PM   #34
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,058
I was about eight years old and in church--then all of a sudden it was black! I lived in Selah Washington at the time, not to far from Mt. St. Helens. Yep it was chaos and pandemonium on the road. We were almost struck a few times and we couldn't see more than a few feet in front of us. I didn't quiet understand the impact of what was happening. Later on that year I sold certificates door-to-door that said, "You bet your Ash I survived!"
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #35
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,886
I was in LaConner, Wa.
We heard the boom, and thought another A-6 Intruder Jet had crashed out of the base on Whidbey Island.
We drove south to Eugene the next day or so, and had to slow down on the bridges over some of the rivers where the ash had piled up. Could have scooped up truck loads of it, and within a month, it was being sold to mix into potter's glaze, providing a sort of metallic look to the glaze when fired. I still have a jar of the ash someplace in storage (I think). The next week, we were over near Ellensburg, where the main plume drifted. Wow! they really got buried in some locations! Lots of choked air cleaners, and ruined bearing!
peterman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:09 PM   #36
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonkeybut
In 1982 I rode my Harley up through Randle to see if I could get a look at the devastation. I will never forget the feeling when we popped out of the forest into the blast zone. It looked like somebody had ran a comb over the hills and layed everything flat and all pointed the same way. That road doesn't go through now but at the time you ended up coming out right by the Miners Car. The road was a rough tore up logging road and a real pain in the ass on the Hog.
I did that same road in 82, it was a blast (no pun intended) in my 66 Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPoChicken
apparently everyone on the west coast drove a vw.

At one time or another

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:11 PM   #37
Capo Rick
Please understand...

Oddometer: 1,461
I was 15 and living in rural Minnesota. I was absolutely fascinated as to "why" people would live in a part of the country that had.... earthquakes,.... Bigfoot,......... and now VOLCANOS!!!!

I would never live there!!!!!!

..............( this, of course, after we probably had a winter that had many days where the temperature never got above zero).......

"Nobody ever sells their bikes at Guzzi rallies........ But the upside is that you may get into a good fight and have the opportunity to have sex with some-being of a different species."-Pete Roper
Capo Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:35 PM   #38
greenjeans
man with purpose

Oddometer: 85
i was working in the kitchen at st v's hospital, 20 & aimless, but when we heard the mt was a blowin' we grabbed some beers and some buds and headed up to the firelane roads in the west hills, had some good viewpoints for watching the show...we are but ash in the wind..., several other times that summer we had ash fall out...or was it just me...
greenjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #39
scrminbanshee
Awsome

Oddometer: 807
I wasnt even a twinkle in my mothers eye haha.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:00 PM   #40
mrazekan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmudd
May 17th myself and two friends set off to climb/ski Mt. Rainier via the Fuhrer Finger, on the south side of the mountain. The day of our climb up to our high camp at the edge of the Wilson Glacier was a blue bird day, sunshine and not a breath of wind. We camped at 11,500'

We were never the types to get up at 2am to start climbing, and we wanted the upper slopes to soften up for the ski descent...skiing sheet ice on big mountains

Morning of the 18th at camp was clear, llight breeze, a perfect day on the mountain. We sat around eating breakfast, packing up gear and having a good time. Jens says "Oh shit...check out St. Helens"!

We sat in sudden shock as the show unfolded before us just 60 miles away.

Within a very short time we're being pelted with marble size ash balls and our world is turning black around us. Not knowing what more to expect (flying boulders and shit is running though my head) we very quickly decide to leave Dodge and head down the mountain.

The mountain turned into a photo negative, with snow turning gray/black and the rocks turning white. We made our way down to Paradise, by the time we made it there was under 6" of ash.

We wasted 3 sets of skis and a VW van engine that weekend all due to ash

So, thats where I was that day

Note: I didn't carry a camera that trip in order to save weight. All photos were taken by my good buddy by Jens Kieler

Best reply I've seen to any post in a long while. Good work!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #41
mrazekan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymarz
I was on a weekend camping trip with my Boy Scout troop a few miles outside of the Red Zone to the SE of St. Helens. There were 10 kids, 2 leaders and 2 trucks. My friend and I were sound asleep in our tent when I remember being woken up by getting bounced around. I looked at Ronny and He at I and both our eyes were saucers. Then the most awesome surround sound rumble/roar/noise engulfed us. We flew out of our tent to see everyone else with the same look. The two leaders started yelling at us to throw our stuff in the trucks and get in. I remember running back to the tent and started pulling stakes and lines while Ron started to roll up bags. The leader screamed at us to "just grab the fucking tent and get in the truck!"

Within 2-3 minutes we were moving and it was already getting dark and ash was falling hard. We laid in the beds of the trucks with all of the gear over the top of us. I distinctly recall looking back at the second truck and could barely see its lights yet it was not more than 10-15 yards off our bumper. We spent 20 minutes driving like crazy getting out from under the cloud. I think my most vivid memory of the day was when we cleared the cloud and was able to look straight up the wall of it as it was roiling and turning over on itself. I'll never be able to describe it like I saw it.

When we got back into town, we went to the meet-up place to rendezvous with the parents. Kids being kids we jumped out of the trucks and were all excited and couldn't stop talking about what we just went through. The parents were all crying. My mom grabbed me and held me tight as she cried. I asked her what happened?
You must be one of the luckiest bastards around!!!! Choppers AND Volcanoes!?
Old 05-18-2010, 11:36 PM   #42
NoPoChicken
CSMC

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazekan
You must be one of the luckiest bastards around!!!! Choppers AND Volcanoes!?
seriously. 9 lives. he must be a cat.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:35 AM   #43
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,107
Getting ready to move to the north west

I was a kid in England 30 years ago. My family and I were getting ready to move to Victoria BC. What's that you say, volcanos are going off? Who cares it's still better than England : )
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #44
elk311
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
I was 11 years old

Near Moses Lake, WA. An absolutely beautiful spring morning at 7 a.m., by 9 a.m. it looked like a bad rain storm was on the way. By 9:30 am it was obvious that something wrong had happened and by noon the street lights had kicked on and it was PITCH BLACK outside !!!

Next morning we awoke to 6 plus inches of ash covering EVERYTHING. To me at 11 years old it looked like grey snow, so we put on our winter coats and headed outside only to find 80 degree temps outside at 8 a.m. ... Later that morning we decided to stock up on food supplies at the local grocery store but the shelves were completely devoid. That was a scary site to behold !!!

“Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled.” – Robert Frost
elk311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #45
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman
Lots of choked air cleaners...
The car wasn't so much what I worried about...

...I had to put air cleaners on my kids, too.

BTW: I slept through it.

I missed the Columbus Day Storm, too. I was in the Navy at the time.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote