User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
osteo OP
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Klim Traverse Suit

Apparently the designers at Klim are keeping themselves busy as they have come up with another Full Gore-Tex suit, this one called the Traverse Suit. From what I have been told I'm the first in Canada to see it woohoo!!! but as I only have it for 2 days, and I cannot go get it dirty I can only do so much

It is another 2 piece suit, and to answer the first question, no the pants do not zip to the jacket.

I tried to take a bunch of more effective pictures and higher quality to show some of the finer details, so we'll see how they all come out.

First off, I am told it is being created with 3 types of armour in mind, so this would depend on your dealer/distributer as to which they order and this may change from Klim, but the preliminary thoughts are either:
a) no armour
b) regular foam armour that is currently found in the new Dakar Pant
c) D30

And the armour would be in the typical areas for jacket and pants, be it elbows, shoulders, hip, back, etc...

So again, this may change, and this will also affect the final price as well.

Which brings me to pricing, MSRP:
Jacket: $339 cdn
Pants: $329 cdn

Availability: Mid August (Canada)

Obviously this is no where near the pricing on the Adv Suit, and this is a completely different piece of kit, so onwards to pic's and thoughts:

The jacket and pants are both Full Gore-Tex, using the same material that is found in the Valdez Parka and their winter gear - regardless Gore-Tex and guaranteed. It is not the same material found on the Adv Suit, the pricing on this suit easily reflects that.

Jacket:

Not Leatt compatible.

I'll start off with the what may be the biggest area of concern with the Adv Suit - the collar. This collar is like sleeping with your head on your spouses bosum! nice and soft! It is brushed fleece, and it really is soft. The shell of the jacket itself is much more pliable and therefore the collar compresses nicely.

And in relation to the helmet, it comes right up to the chin:

I think this one I had taken while I was standing on the pegs looking down at my GPS, as you can see the collar compresses nicely.

So, my initial thoughts are a nice soft collar that would be unobtrusive and yet still offer a nice seal up at the underside of the helmet.

There is no way for the collar to be held open if it is really warm out on the sample I have, that might be an option for production

Now, the jacket, the sample I have has NO armour in the jacket at all, but does have the pockets where the pieces would go.

To give you a sizing perspective I typically wear a Large in the Klim jackets (my Valdez and Adv Rally jacket are both Large) and this Traverse Jacket is also a large, which I would be considering an XL based off of my initial impression so far.

The cut is much more athletic or form fitting than their usual pieces of gear. Where the Valdez Parka and the Adv Rally Jacket are a bit more bulky, this jacket has a more tapered cut to it.

as seen in the above pic, it has the normal longer hem cut as well.

As with the Valdez they include the wrist gators here:

Here is a list of some of the other features:
* Venting is done via 16" pit zips and a large vent in the mid back
* there are 4 pockets, 2 lower hand pockets, 1 Napolean pocket and 1 inner chest pocket
* articulated elbows
* waist adjustment cord
* ear phone loops in the collar

My thoughts... for strictly street riding I'd probably get it with the D30, simple, effective and no worries. For dual sport riding it would depend on the armour I typically wear or what I already have. I currently wear a TekVest which I really like, but have had Pressure Suit style armour before as well and with that being said, having either the D30 or other might be redundant.

With a pressure suit style armour I think the jacket would fit nicely, as that style armour tends to be on an athletic cut shirt which would complement this jacket. In my case, well, that is not the case.

Here is the TekVest for those of you that have not seen one before:

Not sure if an XL would have helped, but the sleeve length is a tad short so that would be my choice.

One thing that is interesting is that the jacket itself is made up of 2 different types of material. The black and flat gray seem to the same and this is the same as the Valdez, but the areas of articulation (knees as well) seem to be a shiny gray and are softer.

Here are some close ups, the material in the foreground is the Traverse, the material in the background with the clasp is the Valdez:

Articulation slightly shiny gray (sorry for the crap pic)

The Pants:

There WILL BE Tall sizes available this season

I typically wear a 34" pant (jeans) and in the Klim pants often a 36" Tall as I usually wear some sort of padded short underneath. And as far as waist is concerned these 34"s might work fine with padded shorts.

The waist adjustment is not the typical velcro enclosure, but a nylon belt/buckle with cams on either side for a solid adjustment plus an elastic waist at the back. (pictures with me wearing my motocross boots means I am also wearing my knee protection, that is why the pants look snug at the knee)

They are well vented, 2 front thigh vents and 2 exhaust vents at the back that can be seen in the first 2 pic's. There is one longish thigh pocket on the right side.

As with the new Klim pants it has the leather on the inside of the contact area of the lower leg to prevent burning and putting holes in your new pants when they contact the exhaust header as well as not abrading your plastics with a rough cordura material.

Also, articulated knees and the velcro boot closure at the back of the calf - I think a nice touch.

These came with the foam padding (hip and knees - the knee/shin padding is a perfect location when the knee is bent it covers about 1" above the knee and then down into the shin) , and in truth the pants fit great when I did not put any of my own armour on underneath (knee pads). They felt super comfortable, they fit like a pair of jeans (sorta). And then the wife make a comment that I have a saggy butt

Which brings me to my next point. The crotch on the pants is low, or at least low for me, so without a Tall sized pant they would not work for me as the pants crept up quite high when on the bike with my boots and knee pads on.

I'm sure that standing the pant would drop lower a tad, but the Gearne boots I have on are rather wide up at the top and they seem to catch on the pants. I am also wearing the knee pads in these pic's so that is also raising the pant height up a bit.

Side view, also showing my saggy butt!

Sitting here thinking about it more my biggest gripe is the saggy butt even though I am now emotionally scarred, there does seem to be a lot of material there. When I sat on the bike the waist of the pants wanted to come up a bit due to the material. Or, when standing, there is probably 3" of material under the Boys before the bottom crotch of the pant. Obviously this will raise the bottom length of the pant while sitting.

The tape measure will tell the tale:

Outer pant length taken from the top of the pant to the hem: 42"
Inner Seam length: 32"
Waist: 34" (as marked)

A couple more random pic's

No armour under the jacket, nothing under the pants aside from the foam in the hips and knees:

Both jacket and pants have a nylon wicking liner and both would fit nicely with a layer underneath as well.

So far that is all I can think of, the tags that are on the jacket and pants do not shed any info on either, they are just the Gore-Tex tags but ask away as I may have the answers to questions, I just could not think to add them while I was writing this.

As I mentioned above, there are no pricings available as yet based on the various armour/no armour options so use what I mentioned above as a ball park number.

CJdesigns had a chance to get a sample suit a while ago and here is a link to his pic's on his site: CJDesigns Klim

I'll update this thread as I hear more from Klim Canada on details. If there are guys here in the Great White North with interest in the suit, feel free to PM me.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)

osteo screwed with this post 05-19-2010 at 10:46 AM
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,071
Nice write-up, Thanks for the preview

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
awesome review....I would think KLIM will have to offer a longer length...just would make sense...I love the look and being a female who loves the "boy" look....this could be interesting for us. Using layering and a Gerbing liner could make this a all season suit.

With armour a nice touring jacket and pants...How is the weight? Looks like it would be on the light side. Simple not flashy. We wear Revit Cayenne jackets now...like it but I had to take a larger size than normal and is big across the chest and little long in the arms.

Looking forward to more info from you. Thanks again!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
osteo OP
Motion is Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9
awesome review....I would think KLIM will have to offer a longer length...just would make sense...I love the look and being a female who loves the "boy" look....this could be interesting for us. Using layering and a Gerbing liner could make this a all season suit.

With armour a nice touring jacket and pants...How is the weight? Looks like it would be on the light side. Simple not flashy. We wear Revit Cayenne jackets now...like it but I had to take a larger size than normal and is big across the chest and little long in the arms.

Looking forward to more info from you. Thanks again!
Yes, it is pretty light, I was actually surprised. I had considered this suit for Christine but she really liked her Powerxross Pullover so that is her upper Gore-Tex layer and most of her riding is off road anyway so she is fine with that.

But I agree, it is s simple, not flashy, functional piece that can be purchased either minimally or loaded with armour (again, that may depend on your dealer/distributer).

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Old 05-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
Ed Muggles
oh, the other left

Oddometer: 250
nice write up... looks like a nice peice of kit.
soo who are you sleeping with at klim to get all these previews?
Ed Muggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:42 AM   #6
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Not Leatt friendly = Dealbreaker
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:54 AM   #7
osteo OP
Motion is Life

Quote:
soo who are you sleeping with at klim to get all these previews?
shhh... he doesn't want to make himself known!! haha!! just lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time I guess

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Old 05-19-2010, 06:53 AM   #8
Frgich
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se
Sharing the same thoughts, that is really a shame that the jacket isn't designed with intention to use with leat.

www.lobagola.com Bed & Breakfast in Zagreb
Frgich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:26 AM   #9
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se
Doesn't Klim make a jacket for that?

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #10
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,001
Excellent write up. Thanks.

It looks to me that the materials used are not as abrasion resistant as the Adventure Suit, and therefore it is probably not intended for use on the road. I'd assume it is intended for trail riding instead.

I wonder what KLIM will come up with next...
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:56 AM   #11
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor
Excellent write up. Thanks.

It looks to me that the materials used are not as abrasion resistant as the Adventure Suit, and therefore it is probably not intended for use on the road. I'd assume it is intended for trail riding instead.

I wonder what KLIM will come up with next...
Q~
That's what I was wondering. It looks like it might make an excellent touring suit, but I'm also curious about the abrasion resistance of the materials used.

While it's not as abrasion resistant as the Adventure Suit, It might certainly be comparable with anything from Olympia, Firstgear, BMW, Aerostich... All of which, obviously, aren't as abrasion resistant as the Adventure Suit.

This suit is definitely on my radar as a possible replacement for my aging Rallye 2 Pro.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #12
Chilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
I have about a 1,500 miles on this suit, mostly off road and DS in Baja. It is absolutely my favorite gear now. The jacket is very versitile, handling a very wide range of temps.

Overall fit is pretty good and comfy. At 6'1", I don't have any issues with the pant length. I have the armour out of the adv suit installed and it works good. This would be my first choice for a go anywhere suit.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #13
Xeraux
Archvillain

Price talk?

Old 05-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #14
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly
I have about a 1,500 miles on this suit, mostly off road and DS in Baja. It is absolutely my favorite gear now. The jacket is very versitile, handling a very wide range of temps.

Overall fit is pretty good and comfy. At 6'1", I don't have any issues with the pant length. I have the armour out of the adv suit installed and it works good. This would be my first choice for a go anywhere suit.
how do you have this suit if it has not been released yet?
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:03 AM   #15
Chilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
It is a preproduction suit. I do some testing for Klim
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote