Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #16
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,057
how does a woman get in on this testing....? Would be good for their unisex image
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #17
osteo OP
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Correction - I have just been informed that there WILL BE TALL SIZES available for this season's orders!! I made the correction in my original posting, but in case you do not go back to the top.

I think in the AdV Rally Suit someone posted a pic of their Valdez suit after it was abraded on some ice for 30 odd feet or so and it looked pretty impressive. I can't recall the exact details, I may try to find the pic as they posted that as well.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #18
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,900
Put some armour in those puppies and send them on.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #19
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,057
osteo in your opinion would this make a good touring suit? Material wise?
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #20
osteo OP
Motion is Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9
osteo in your opinion would this make a good touring suit? Material wise?
My Valdez Parka is a pretty stout piece of gear (same material) and I would have no problems riding all over the place in it as long as I had armour in the necessary areas (which it does not), so I would lean towards the D30 in the Traverse. There seems to be comments that some are thinking the actual pieces of D30 are a bit small, but being female then this might not be so much of a concern, but then again, this jacket is also cut a bit differently so I think they would hold in place well.

So, without beating around the bush, I would probably want an extra layer of material in the high wear areas of the jacket - such as the elbows and possibly shoulders with the D30 and as long as the fit and cut were good, I'd say yes.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Old 05-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #21
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,188
I was wondering when this would show up on here. I found the 2010 Fall Klim catalog online. You gotta love Google. It was a dealer "worksheet". It showed this new outfit, but drawings not pictures. Roughly $300.00 for each piece was the price I saw as well.

+1 on a system to tie the collar back. Velcro or a snap there would be the way to go. I prefer the snap. I have a really old Moose Gore Tex jacket with that feature.

Of course I just bought new Dakar pants and a Tomahawk jacket, and now this comes out. I better start saving my pennies.

I don't think that Chilly guy is a "noob" either....

You meet the nicest people on a Honda

bigborefan screwed with this post 05-19-2010 at 06:55 PM
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #22
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,195
I wouldn't want to trust Goretex in a road spill. Revit, BMW, Klim adv and others yes. It does look like a nice suit for enduro riding though.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #23
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,581
I would agree with Deadly. Looks like a great all-weather trailriding suit. I've used and seen a few Valdez', and I would not care to slide down the highway in one. The Adv suit is a whole different kettle of fish.

This looks like a great trail-riding suit for our changeable weather, however.

Very disappointed the jacket is not Leatt compatible though.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #24
osteo OP
Motion is Life

That is what I am suggesting though - if in the high wear areas are beefed up with a more abrasive resistant piece that I'd be interested. Otherwise, as a good dual sport / trail suit it would be good.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Old 05-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #25
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,188
I would think for the pricing I saw it would be an offroad / Dual Sport suit. Maybe it is just a mid price motorcycle specific jacket, vs the Valdez and Tomahawk, which have the snowmobile heritage. Maybe they are making a mid price jacket for that market, and the ADV suit for the road market? At $300 for each piece they are inline with their competition IMO, Moose, MSR, Thor, their GoreTex lines anyway, if that is the target audience.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:35 AM   #26
Frgich
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly
It is a preproduction suit. I do some testing for Klim
Hi Chilly thanks for chime in in the thread. I do have a question regarding the leatt compatibility, if the suit is intended for trail/enduro riding why is it the case that this feature is not on the jacket, thanks
Frgich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:51 AM   #27
matapo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
It s a nice jacket.
I guess I should start saving...But again I also have to find a friend that will visit the states in winter....
Come on Klim guyz,start sending your stuff in Europe directly!
matapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:42 AM   #28
Chilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
There are some good and thought provoking commments here.

- This suit is not designed for a neck brace, but they have the adv suit for that need. Personally I don't see neck brace use continuing to grow at the rate it is currently, there just isn't enough science to backup the claims. I am sure many while strong disagree, but that is ok.

- It is interesting to see the perspective of which provides more on road protection, the textile material or the armor. I am of the opinion that the armor does most of the work and certainly absorbs the impact in a way that no textile, not matter how strong, can.

- The Adventure suit is a pretty amazing piece, the first choice for racing Dakar. If you want the "ultimate" this is it. The downside is that it is a little heavy and bukly, sort of like wearing leather.

- This Traverse suit feels like an old friend right out of the box. For me it is more of a real world piece of equipment. With the armor it is my first choice to take anywhere.

I am trying to dig up some pics from testing it in mex. right now.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:48 AM   #29
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly
There are some good and thought provoking commments here.

- This suit is not designed for a neck brace, but they have the adv suit for that need. Personally I don't see neck brace use continuing to grow at the rate it is currently, there just isn't enough science to backup the claims. I am sure many while strong disagree, but that is ok.

- It is interesting to see the perspective of which provides more on road protection, the textile material or the armor. I am of the opinion that the armor does most of the work and certainly absorbs the impact in a way that no textile, not matter how strong, can.

- The Adventure suit is a pretty amazing piece, the first choice for racing Dakar. If you want the "ultimate" this is it. The downside is that it is a little heavy and bukly, sort of like wearing leather.

- This Traverse suit feels like an old friend right out of the box. For me it is more of a real world piece of equipment. With the armor it is my first choice to take anywhere.

I am trying to dig up some pics from testing it in mex. right now.
Armour protects you from the impact. The textile/leather/whatever protects you from the road rash.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #30
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan
I would think for the pricing I saw it would be an offroad / Dual Sport suit. Maybe it is just a mid price motorcycle specific jacket, vs the Valdez and Tomahawk, which have the snowmobile heritage. Maybe they are making a mid price jacket for that market, and the ADV suit for the road market? At $300 for each piece they are inline with their competition IMO, Moose, MSR, Thor, their GoreTex lines anyway, if that is the target audience.
You are correct. It is aimed at OR / DS use. More dirt oriented than the Valdez, which works great for this app (I love mine) but is somewhat a snow machine piece. Lots of moto specific features. I am shocked that Klim was so aggressive with the pricing, which is killer.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote