Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #31
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
Armour protects you from the impact. The textile/leather/whatever protects you from the road rash.
+1.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #32
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
my dream suit for the unisex folks....we are two women who hate girly gear...as a matter of fact we find it insulting that some companies skimp on material and protection to make the gear look more feminine for the same price.

If KLIM cares to know...we love the look and quality of your gear and would LOVE to see a suit that offers more comfortable waist lines, perhaps more adjustable is what I meant, good armour that is removable if one chooses, high quality abrasion resistant material at key points, elbows, knees, butt, shoulders etc. Nice comfy crutch, water proof/wind proof with or without the use of a liner. A suit that is sold without a quilted liner for those who use heated gear. I hate paying for a quilted liner when all it does is sit in my garage.

Breathable is so important and really good vents. Different lengths offered we are all not made the same but can be around the same sizes. So KLIM, I would like to see a touring suit made for the dual sport family of riders. So in other words...looks cool, can be vented in warmer months, can be warm using our own layers, water proof, good sizing for both men and women and decent price

My partner and I love this gear and have not been able to find anyone with decent stock to even try anything on...sizes are very limited at the few places we have found this stuff.

Anyway thought I would post my wish list....TOMBOY gear....man I really need to quit my job and develop true unisex gear because we have so many ideas!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #33
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9
my dream suit for the unisex folks....we are two women who hate girly gear...as a matter of fact we find it insulting that some companies skimp on material and protection to make the gear look more feminine for the same price.

If KLIM cares to know...we love the look and quality of your gear and would LOVE to see a suit that offers more comfortable waist lines, perhaps more adjustable is what I meant, good armour that is removable if one chooses, high quality abrasion resistant material at key points, elbows, knees, butt, shoulders etc. Nice comfy crutch, water proof/wind proof with or without the use of a liner. A suit that is sold without a quilted liner for those who use heated gear. I hate paying for a quilted liner when all it does is sit in my garage.

Breathable is so important and really good vents. Different lengths offered we are all not made the same but can be around the same sizes. So KLIM, I would like to see a touring suit made for the dual sport family of riders. So in other words...looks cool, can be vented in warmer months, can be warm using our own layers, water proof, good sizing for both men and women and decent price

My partner and I love this gear and have not been able to find anyone with decent stock to even try anything on...sizes are very limited at the few places we have found this stuff.

Anyway thought I would post my wish list....TOMBOY gear....man I really need to quit my job and develop true unisex gear because we have so many ideas!
You described Klim's very own Adventure suit Bad news is it'll be hard to find. Good news is I'm sure when it comes out again, it'll be tweaked a bit thanks to all of us beta testers
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #34
osteo OP
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:

Ahh.. well said!

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #35
wonky
Team F5 !

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
You described Klim's very own Adventure suit Bad news is it'll be hard to find.
Well said.we still have adventure suits available in the UK, so if you do have an urge for the best adventure touring riding kit available give us a call....
The traverse is a great bit of kit, we've had one for a couple of months, but it is not designed for road use.the materials are not selected for their abrasion resistance
Www.adventure-spec.com
The main thing I'm into is going about on a bike, taking random routes; I'm really into the idea of making up journeys, and just seeing where they take you, because they always end up taking you someplace freaky.
Tom Jenkinson (squarepusher)

KLIM in the UK
Giantloop in Europe
adventure-spec
F800GS Crashbars
Yamaha Tenere Parts
KTM 690 Adventure-Spec Parts
KTM LC8 Adventure and SE Skidplate
wonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:50 PM   #36
soph9
Bike Addict

the Adventure suit is sweet but to be honest my "dream" suit doesn't need all those pockets. i really don't like carry too much stuff in my gear...something in between the Adventure and Traverse would be great....and an in between price....whenever we think of buying something new think times 2....BTW....we might be ordering 2 sets of your crash bars soon!
Old 05-21-2010, 04:49 AM   #37
Blinkerfluid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
For what it's worth, we were looking at getting a Valdez Parka for my fiance, but at 5'3" she was still swimming in the Small.. Only option was their allure parka, but we didn't want an insulated jacket.. So I called Klim to see if the insulation in the Allure was easily removable (I knew we'd have to cut it out but wasn't sure how it was bonded to the jacket).. Anyway, long story short the lady I spoke with said that Klim was working on a womens specific enduro jacket that should be out in the fall.. The Allure jacket seems to be a nice full feature women's snowmobile jacket, so hopefully this new jacket will be the same for the enduro side of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
Armour protects you from the impact. The textile/leather/whatever protects you from the road rash.
I think the armor will help protect you from road rash too, it's not like it's going to disappear as soon as it's done absorbing the impact.. If you're wearing something like a pressure suit under the jacket, really the areas that are most prone to road rash are going to be covered with armor anyway (i.e. shoulders, elbows, back/chest).. I think the jackets probably provide enough abrasion resistance to protect the areas of your torso that aren't covered in armor.. Granted, I wouldn't go street touring in my Valdez Parka, but that's mostly bc I don't want to wear a pressure suit while riding a street bike.. For typical dualsport use I would think the jacket/armor combo would provide adequate protection.. Of course, that's just my opinion and doesn't really mean anything to anyone but me
Blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:18 AM   #38
soph9
Bike Addict

they should come out with a suit called the "Cross Over" to appease those who ride tar and some off pavement!
Old 05-21-2010, 07:27 AM   #39
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,481
Based on my experience with Klim, you'll see your fair share of "versatility" soon. Look at how expansive the snow market is for them, I would bet my money that they will be blanketing the "Enduro" market just as well.

With the Adventure/Rally suit at the top

And the Venture at the entry point (based on price)

I'd bet somewhere in the middle will be available soon.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #40
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,292
I think I am opposite of most people.

When I ride my "Dual Sport" and there is gravel and tarmac involved, I armor up for battle, knee pads, pressure suit, hip pads, kidney belt, the whole nine yards. I am more likely to wear less gear off road than on road, although I rarely go without some type of chest protector off road either. I am so concerned I do not even ride ot the grocery store without the full on kit, so needless to say I don't haul groceries on the 690.

I have major fear of road rash, having had a serious case at age 14. I still have scars. I would probably make a very slow roadracer.

I like the pressure suit even for pure pavement myself, as i feel the fit will keep things in place better than built in armor, but I could be wrong. I still approach things from an off road perspective.

I will admit, that Klim Adv jacket would have been the hot setup on the TAT last summer. When we stopped I had a huge pile of gear to take off and on. It would be nice to zip off and on only a jacket. I had a backpack, fanny pack, kidney belt, shoulder pads, elbow pads and jacket to address each time. I don't know if that is $1300 worth of convenience or not, but it would be nice.

I just added an EVS Ballistic Jersey, so that covers shoulder pads, elbow pads and kidney belt in one piece.

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #41
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,597
I've tried this jacket and pants combo on and wore them around for a few hours. Very nice kit and the price is not repulsive. The material feels just as abrasion resistant as my Hein Gericke Tuareg, Olympia Patton, and BMG Discovery (that is just an opinion based on no abrasion resistant data!). Throw some armor in there and I wouldn't hesitate to wear it anywhere.

I wore it then wore the Adventure Suit for awhile. Then went back to the Traverse. I like the fit of the Traverse far better than the Adv. That Adv jacket is cool but way overkill for most anyone I have ever met from this board. If I was gonna race Dakar or Baja, I might consider a $1200 jacket. Maybe. But the Traverse is actually obtainable for mere mortals. Not a ton of flashy pockets or anything, just nice build quality.

I do hope the production units use some sort of waterproof zipper though. NONE of the pockets or main zip on the one I wore around were waterproof... just good ole YKK (I think) zippers. Sure would be disappointing to buy a GoreTex jacket that leaks b/c the zippers suck.

When this joker comes out, I will own one.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #42
KMmoto1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Looking at this new offering reminds me of a whole lot of the typical Goretex hiking gear you find out there at REI and such as opposed to something of a "light" or basic version of the Adventure gear. Maybe I'm missing the point and it needs to be clarified what Klim is targeting with this new piece of gear?

Personally I'd like to see a slightly more cost effective adventure suit. KLIM clearly used all the most advanced top-shelf stuff they could find on that suit and there is room for something similar in style but a little less complex. Remove the internal harness system, reduce the number and size of pockets a bit, go with a little less of the space-age materials and simplify down to goretex, cordura and armor where necessary. Give people another option in the $650-$750 range to go against the new stuff coming from Rev-It and Rukka's current Athos jacket for example.

Just throwing my .02 cents in as I'm pulling for Klim in this space.

kilometermagazine.com
Do you like european cars and motorcycles?
KMmoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #43
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,597
In my opinion, this Traverse Suit IS the Adventure Suit Light.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #44
soph9
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMmoto1
Looking at this new offering reminds me of a whole lot of the typical Goretex hiking gear you find out there at REI and such as opposed to something of a "light" or basic version of the Adventure gear. Maybe I'm missing the point and it needs to be clarified what Klim is targeting with this new piece of gear?

Personally I'd like to see a slightly more cost effective adventure suit. KLIM clearly used all the most advanced top-shelf stuff they could find on that suit and there is room for something similar in style but a little less complex. Remove the internal harness system, reduce the number and size of pockets a bit, go with a little less of the space-age materials and simplify down to goretex, cordura and armor where necessary. Give people another option in the $650-$750 range to go against the new stuff coming from Rev-It and Rukka's current Athos jacket for example.

Just throwing my .02 cents in as I'm pulling for Klim in this space.
agree...we just bought a Revit Cayenne Pro and if KLIM came out with something like that jacket minus the quilted liner...and better sizing...with the "cool" KLIM look we would buy it in a heart beat.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #45
KMmoto1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
agree...we just bought a Revit Cayenne Pro and if KLIM came out with something like that jacket minus the quilted liner...and better sizing...with the "cool" KLIM look we would buy it in a heart beat.
It is funny you mention the "KLIM look" as I think their adventure coat has a great rugged, purposeful look to it that doesn't scream the "Power Ranger" look like so many other jackets. It is perfect.

kilometermagazine.com
Do you like european cars and motorcycles?
KMmoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote