Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #616
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCC View Post
I bought my traverse suit at the end of last season and haven't ridden in it yet. So last night I decided to put the knox armor in. I can't see a way to fit the knox back pad into the pocket without distorting it. I feel if I bend and mash it up to get it to go in it will kill some of the shock absorption of the foam.

Has anyone successfully put the knox back pad into the traverse jacket?

It's not that fragile. Just roll it up enough to get it through the opening and push it in the pocket.

It would be pretty silly to make a pocket for the back protector that would compromise the integrity of the back protector.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #617
kainam00
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I have a Knox back protector in my traverse jacket, took a bit of persuading, but it fit just fine. Like the poster above said - it's not fragile, its designed to take abuse, bend and twist away.

On the jacket and pants as a whole - I love mine.
Had them on numerous trips and they were comfortable into the 90s in the desert and into the 40s in the mountains with a fleece underneath.
The fit is fantastic, feels a bit baggy when you start off, but so great on the bike, no flapping what so ever.
It's comfortable with a Thor impact rig pressure suit underneath for offroad riding and with some CE armor stolen out of scorpion gear for street stuff.

Waterproof, goretex, cordura, fits both offroad and street armor, and top notch klim quality and fit? I looked around quite a bit and there is no other jacket even nearly this versatile on the market at this price.

Could use more pockets, but the upside is that you never have to wonder which pocket something is in :)

PS: happy to read that the materials held up well to a pavement off, that was always my main concern.
kainam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #618
kainam00
n00b

Just back from an hour of riding around back roads and some minor off road in the 90 degrees and humid weather. Not bad at all when moving, hot when standing still... But it's hot in shorts and tshirt too, so...
Old 07-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #619
Travman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
My max temp for wearing the Traverse is about 80 degrees. Above that I switch to mesh rear. However, with proper long sleeve and a heated liner, I have worn the Traverse down to the mid 20's. So very pleased with the temperature range ability of the jacket.

2014 BMW R1200 GSA
2011 BMW R1200RT - gone
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - gone
Travman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #620
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travman View Post
My max temp for wearing the Traverse is about 80 degrees. Above that I switch to mesh rear. However, with proper long sleeve and a heated liner, I have worn the Traverse down to the mid 20's. So very pleased with the temperature range ability of the jacket.
I'm good up to about 90, rode it truly offroad in the upper 70's. Got real warm real quick. However, youre right its great when its cold with some of the other Klim Layers
Old 09-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #621
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 919
I've never bought armor for a jacket, and my last jacket (Badlands) had D3O T5 Pro, which I'm not sold on. My only complaint was how stiff it was when cold, so I'm looking at other options. I don't want to modify the shoulder or elbow pockets; but, if necessary, I'd be willing to trim the armor. I think my choices are:

1) Forcefield (the grey kind)
2) Forecfield NeT (the gold kind)
3) Alpinestars Bio
4) Rukka RVP
5) D3O Xergo
6) D3O T5 Pro (only because I know it fits).

I ride mostly offroad... any opinions on the fit? I posted this in the Traverse thread, because I'm not that concerned about the safety level- I think they will all do fine. Plus, I'm not riding Dakar speeds, anyway.

Edited to add some other options

JustRon screwed with this post 09-24-2013 at 11:17 AM
JustRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #622
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
I've never bought armor for a jacket, and my last jacket (Badlands) had D3O T5 Pro, which I'm not sold on. My only complaint was how stiff it was when cold, so I'm looking at other options. I don't want to modify the shoulder or elbow pockets; but, if necessary, I'd be willing to trim the armor. I think my choices are:

2) Alpinestars Bio
3) D3O Xergo
4) D3O T5 Pro (only because I know it fits).

I ride mostly offroad... any opinions on the fit? I posted this in the Traverse thread, because I'm not that concerned about the safety level- I think they will all do fine. Plus, I'm not riding Dakar speeds, anyway.
I used a set of aerostich t3 armor cut to fit. I had a new set on hand. D30 in the hip pockets the pockets are long but slim, so I bet you'd have to trim the width of any armor.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #623
Travman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post

2) Alpinestars Bio
3) D3O Xergo
4) D3O T5 Pro (only because I know it fits).

As a reference I do use the D30 armor in the shoulders and the back (viper model) but use Knox Advance X (large) for the elbows. The Knox just barely fit the pockets and provide added coverage and fill out the sleeves nicely.

BTW - I wear the Traverse as a street jacket.

2014 BMW R1200 GSA
2011 BMW R1200RT - gone
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - gone
Travman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #624
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 919
Well, if anyone cares (and, I doubt anyone does)... I went cheap and bought the A*'s pads. They come as a 4-piece set (shoulders and elbows). The foam feels pretty substantial, and I doubt it will get as hard as the 3DO in the winter. Best part is (besides the price)- they fit with no mods*. Although, it took a bit of coercing to get the elbows in. That's better than loose, though. Decent coverage for the pads.
The reality for me is, I don't need these pads; I've got a Spidi Multi-Tech to wear underneath. But, I only wear that for longer rides, so I figured the Alpinestars would be good to have when I'm just cruising around town.

*Size Medium jacket with Large pads.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #625
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,267
Lol I do. Good improve. I still wear my traverse and today was poured on for hours and then hit snow. Dry as a bone and this suit is going on its 3rd full season.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #626
kainam00
n00b

Did a weeklong ride around California earlier this year in the Traverse suit. We rode through 100 degree deserts and 34 degree mountain passes, no problem. Got rained on a couple days - no problem. I stayed comfortable the entire time, no complaints what so ever.

Klim makes good stuff!
Old 01-08-2014, 08:15 PM   #627
SmilinDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Pack Size?

Can anyone help me figure out how tight the Traverse pants will pack (no armor)? I've finally got a good waterproof street jacket (Latitude Misano) and now I need a pair of overpants. My hope is to keep them packed in my top box for the rainy and/or cold days in the Fall, Winter, and Spring and then to wear them over shorts for commuting in the Summer. I figure if they pack up tighter than my old full rain gear, then I'm getting out ahead.
SmilinDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #628
SmilinDave
Adventurer

I called Klim this afternoon. A representative took some measurements for me using a pair of pants that they had on hand. Without armor, a size 36 Traverse pant can be folded in half and rolled into a cylinder that is 6" in diameter and 8" in length. That's much tighter than I guessed it would be considering how sturdy the Traverse pants are. Sounds like a no-brainer to me for a pair of everyday riding pants, albeit without armor.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #629
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,267
Why not just wear the pants with armor as your everyday gear...
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #630
SmilinDave
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Why not just wear the pants with armor as your everyday gear...
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. You're right. ATGATT

ATGATT is a sort of 12 step program for me (and lots of other long-time motorcycles). I started riding on the road in Florida after all. I think their state invertebrate is the squid. Interesting, is that why squids don't wear back protectors? Anyhow, it's not so much the ATG part since we all collect gear. I've got five jackets, four pairs of boots, four pairs of gloves, two helmets, one pair of pants, a track suit, and a compression suit.

It's really the ATT part. There's no denying that driving a cage is the best way to protect yourself on your roads today, and it's usually far more convenient to hop in a car and take off. Exception being parking and lane-splitting. For me, the trick to ATGATT is to find gear that's convenient, comfortable, and safe. A few days a week I have a horrible commute: home -> work -> campus -> work -> errands -> home. Riding a bike to/from campus saves me an amazing amount of time. But I can't afford the time for a lot of packing, unpacking, changing, and carrying gear around.

I've been working on it over the years and I'm on my last two steps:
  • Step 11: An overpant without padding will be convenient and comfortable because it isn't too bulky to carry or wear. It does have shortcomings with safety. It's a compromise, but it doesn't mean that I won't keep searching. I'll likely try some D30 armor in there at some point.
  • Step 12: I often commute in street shoes. Yep, I said it. I'm working on it though. I'm looking for a more walkable pair of boots.

Interesting story about convenience, comfort, and safety. I went on an extended (spirited) ride with my track back protector once. It was so uncomfortable that I was getting cramps from the kidney strap as the hours wore on. I almost threw in the trash at one stop, but I finally managed to adjust to so that it was tolerable. I low-sided nearly thirty minutes later and broke my back. I would have been paralyzed without the extra gear on. I'm so thankful. However, I was wearing jeans and skate shoes so I had some pretty good road rash. hehehe Idiot!

Anyhow, that's just my take on ATGATT. I'm not trying to lecture, advise, or even make a point. I always say ride your own ride.