User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
Maniac28 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Baja to Canada - Along the Pacific Crest

So I would like to do for the Pacific Crest Trail what the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route (that you guys often call the CDR or CDT) did for the Continental Divide (hiking) trail.

Basically, I'd like to string together a network of dirt and gravel roads from Baja to Canada, following along the Pacific Crest Trail as close as reasonably possible. The idea is the same as the great divide route - ride border to border on a beautiful route that gets you off highways and into unspoiled backcountry areas. It should be navigable by a 650 class bike or even a GS or vstrom with a brave pilot.

I will be working on it and testing it out this summer. No promises. But if I can pull it off, I will share with everyone, free of charge.
www.pbase.com/ischoenleber
Maniac28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,895
Already been done, Search for "Pacific Crest Quest".

I also have Mex2Can.com through the Great Basin.

I also have severeal ways in the Statewide Motorized Trail System (SMTS.Info) for California and Nevada plus the Oregon Back Country Discovery Trail tracks posted on GPSXchange.com
Old 05-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
Macadam Drifter
Explorer of the Backroads

Oddometer: 723
Best of luck and sounds good. I live in Ellensburg, WA and have played with multiple routes and as Maniac28 pointed out there is a good RR from a group who came up from California that will be a good resource.

Are you planning a Cascade Route east or west of the summit or ?.

I believe there is a good eastern side of Cascade Mountains route that starts south of Nighthawk and west of Oroville that will drop out at places like Winthrop, Chelan, Leavenworth, Cashmere, Ellensburg, Mt Rainier Park, Trout Lake and the the Columbia River.

Also as already mentioned the Oregon Back Country Trail would be the next logical pick up.

Looking forward to your Ride Report.

Enjoy your trip

MkD
Macadam Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
Maniac28 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
OK. I have read the ride report from the PCQ (thanks guys!). I have also downloaded and looked at their GPS files. I have an atlas for each state and am trying to map out some alternate routes along the whole way, in case of closure, too rough conditions, etc.

So anyone want to go with me? Leaving san diego area around July 10th or so is the current plan. I don't know whether to take the KLR or the GS.

If this ride doesn't pan out for me my other option is to ride mostly pavement through CA, OR and then head to MT for West Fest and the Montana 1000.
www.pbase.com/ischoenleber
Maniac28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
Macadam Drifter
Explorer of the Backroads

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac28
OK. I have read the ride report from the PCQ (thanks guys!). I have also downloaded and looked at their GPS files. I have an atlas for each state and am trying to map out some alternate routes along the whole way, in case of closure, too rough conditions, etc.

So anyone want to go with me? Leaving san diego area around July 10th or so is the current plan. I don't know whether to take the KLR or the GS.

If this ride doesn't pan out for me my other option is to ride mostly pavement through CA, OR and then head to MT for West Fest and the Montana 1000.

If/when or should you get to Washington state, PM me I might be able to ride along for a bit. Depends on when you get here. Good luck on your plans.

The Pacific Crest goes almost right by my house.

MkD
Macadam Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:25 PM   #6
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,572
the best of luck my friend!!

damasovi
damasovi is online now   Reply With Quote