User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2004, 10:36 AM   #1
Team Dennis OP
Certified Troublemaker

Oddometer: 4,536
The worlds ugliest fairing?

I finally got around to scanning some old pictures of mine and I came across these, of the once innovative Jacwal Superwedge fairing. I was getting ready to do a 6 month ride and realized protection from the elements was going to be crucial.So I decided to give the Jacwal a try. Little did I know it would be the most frustrating aftermarket experience of my life. It started with a 3 month back-order situation. Followed by possibly the worst instructions ever given out and an install time that took over 2 days because of poor R&D on the part of Jacwal Corp. Nothing fit correctly and because the top portion of the fairing turned with the bars the alignment procedure was a curse-word filled couple of days. This differed greatly to the usual frame mounted Vetter fairing of the day.

While the looks were definitely controversial, the small width of the upper fairing did not provide enough protection from the elements.

Unfortunately, reality set in and knowing that sooner or later I would drop the bike ( although I never did, despite the ice and snow I found in Texas)
I decided I would never be able to repair anything or get parts if I was down. The lower section around the engine cases was way too vunerable along with the "bat" wings around the handlebars.

So before I left,I switched to a more convential frame mounted, fiberglass Camber fairing which proved to be the right choice for the reliability I was looking for.

To this day, I do not know where that fairing went. Probably to hell along with the short-lived Jacwal corporation.
Team Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 10:43 AM   #2
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,183
I'm having flashbacks to the early 80s when I installed one of those turkeys on a R100S. The idiot owner had it painted in the stock BMW smoke red to match the bike. Talk about having to be REAL careful about mounting it. The whole project drove me to drink .
Thought I'd forgotten all about them things, thanks
Old 11-14-2004, 05:28 PM   #3
pfestus1
Slasher

Oddometer: 599
AAHH, The WEDGE

I remember them. In fact, just the other day, I rode to a Poker Run, and an old fart Beemer Rider, on a '78 R100S with a Wedge was there. He had owned it since new, and has had the Wedge on it since very early on. It too, was painted smoked red to match the well worn R100S. Nice old dude.
I just recently bought a '78 R100S. The PO (now deceased) had bought the bike new, and also had put a Luftmeister on it. So now I am looking for a original S fairing and mounts.
Thanks for the memories!

2007 R1200GS, 1973 R75/5/Dnepr, 1984 R100RS/Motovation,
Gotta get my post count up
pfestus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 05:02 AM   #4
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,732
You're right-- that IS the ugliest fairing I've ever seen!
- Chris

'04 GS Adv- A fond memory
'07 990 Adventure- still bonding...

How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 05:10 AM   #5
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfestus1

I remember them. In fact, just the other day, I rode to a Poker Run, and an old fart Beemer Rider, on a '78 R100S with a Wedge was there. He had owned it since new, and has had the Wedge on it since very early on. It too, was painted smoked red to match the well worn R100S. Nice old dude.
I just recently bought a '78 R100S. The PO (now deceased) had bought the bike new, and also had put a Luftmeister on it. So now I am looking for a original S fairing and mounts.
Thanks for the memories!

I wonder if it's the same bike I installed one on? There can't be too many smoked red R100S out there. I was working at Cycle Shack in Christainsburg VA where I did the previously mentioned install.
The reason I refered to the owner as an idiot was because he had the fairing painted before the install. If we could have mounted it and fitted it correctly before paint, then uninstalled, painted, and then reinstalled it would have been a lot less difficult.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:46 PM   #6
thencamebronson
Takin' a trip?

Oddometer: 725
I thought the Jacwal was pretty cool looking, especially color matched in yellow to the Honda GL1000. (It was the 70's after all) I had a 76 GL 1000 and put a Calafia fairing on it. Sort of a Windcrammer clone but with more of a rounded edge. Mounted to a set of crash bars that came with it. I was never able to get the thing to stop rattling. Very poorly designed mounting system, the only plus was that it came color matched to the wing. I wonder where all those Windjammers went?
thencamebronson is offline   Reply With Quote