User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #46
JohnDavid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
The track just north of the airport is the Driveway: http://www.drivewayaustin.com/
Here is a google image of it:http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...13733&t=h&z=17

There is also Harris Hill south of the airport (more in San Marcos):
http://harrishillroad.com/

But this is supposed to be a brand new purpose built track for Formula 1.
I am about to join the skeptics. If it is funded, why haven't they permitted yet? If they are trying to get a permit, why haven't they at least started clearing the land? (That parcel of land I took pictures of doesn't quite meet the criteria; as I think it is a bit too small and they are only clearing the corner tract. 500 acres would need to be road to road to road to road which would be multiple tracts of land and only the corner tract is being cleared; so I think that is for something else.) If they are going to build this in two years, they need to get started now!!! I thought after the announcement that we would see some action and we are not.
I have looked, and I don't so much as even see a pile of grub rock for a future construction entrance. FWIW I rode over to the Driveway when I was exploring because I had the same thought... but nothing is happening there yet. I'm not saying it is not going to happen, but we aren't seeing any action yet.
JohnDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #47
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Maniaci
I'm curious as to why everyone seems to think this can't happen.

Really? It wouldn't be unprecedented that this is some kind of negotiating tactic. After all Bernie didn't earn his billions by keeping his word.
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #48
rajflyboy
Banned

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDavid
The track just north of the airport is the Driveway: http://www.drivewayaustin.com/
Here is a google image of it:http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...13733&t=h&z=17

There is also Harris Hill south of the airport (more in San Marcos):
http://harrishillroad.com/

But this is supposed to be a brand new purpose built track for Formula 1.
I am about to join the skeptics. If it is funded, why haven't they permitted yet? If they are trying to get a permit, why haven't they at least started clearing the land? (That parcel of land I took pictures of doesn't quite meet the criteria; as I think it is a bit too small and they are only clearing the corner tract. 500 acres would need to be road to road to road to road which would be multiple tracts of land and only the corner tract is being cleared; so I think that is for something else.) If they are going to build this in two years, they need to get started now!!! I thought after the announcement that we would see some action and we are not.
I have looked, and I don't so much as even see a pile of grub rock for a future construction entrance. FWIW I rode over to the Driveway when I was exploring because I had the same thought... but nothing is happening there yet. I'm not saying it is not going to happen, but we aren't seeing any action yet.
Thanks for the Update

I think F1 has the same problem that Nascar is going through now. Way too much regulation >> which ends up making the racing not so good
rajflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #49
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,147
I had no idea that track was there. looks like it's real close to the sewage plant.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #50
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,443
I believe the city will be contributing $25m per year for ten years, plus tax and other concessions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green hell
because it will probably cost $300~400 million for a purpose-built facility, and bernie's sanctioning fees average about $30 million a year.

they will need a major corporate sponsor or two, (potentially) money from the city or state, reasonably high ticket prices, and sustained attendance to pay for this.

once bernie feels slighted and pulls out, austin will be left holding a very expensive bag.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #51
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Quote:
I believe the city will be contributing $25m per year for ten years, plus tax and other concessions.
Isn't there a state fund specifically ear marked for bringing sporting events to the state, and it's mandate was enlarged last year to specifically include F1?
I think that's where they're hoping to get most of their nut, because I still haven't heard of any substantial private money linked yet.

Have you heard of this guy or his company before? That's another tidbit adding to the skepticism, a seemingly unknown and small time NASCAR promoter comes from left field and snatches one of the most coveted race franchises in motorspot.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:30 AM   #52
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,943
Quote:
it's an extremely expensive hobby, and $25 million a year won't even come close to covering the costs.

there are only a few people making money on f1, and the home city typically pays for the honor of hosting the race.

an honest assessment would probably indicate that in these economic times it's a huge money pit, like other professional sports (which i enjoy greatly, but are subsidized to the gills by the locality).

needless dickery
green hell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #53
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 29,094
Quote:
it's an extremely expensive hobby, and $25 million a year won't even come close to covering the costs.

there are only a few people making money on f1, and the home city typically pays for the honor of hosting the race.

an honest assessment would probably indicate that in these economic times it's a huge money pit, like other professional sports (which i enjoy greatly, but are subsidized to the gills by the locality).
An F1 race brings a lot of money into the local economy. On a race weekend, every hotel room within 2 hours of Montreal is booked. 100,000 people arrive in the city and spend, spend, spend. I know I used to blow $1000+ on the weekend. If the city is ponying up $25MM/yr, the local businesses will earn that and more. It's money well spent.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #54
bradatlarge
Insha'Allah

Oddometer: 12,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraan
An F1 race brings a lot of money into the local economy. On a race weekend, every hotel room within 2 hours of Montreal is booked. 100,000 people arrive in the city and spend, spend, spend. I know I used to blow $1000+ on the weekend. If the city is ponying up $25MM/yr, the local businesses will earn that and more. It's money well spent.

While this is all true, there are also HUGE costs associated with the event....this is why Montreal told Big Bad Bernie to stuff it when he increased the cost of the race....the benefit no longer outweighed the cost.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #55
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,443
Indianapolis estimates that the U.S. Gran Prix injected $100m a year into the local economy, and this project will cost far less than many sports stadiums (many of which are largely publically funded), so it's a very good long-term investment for the city and state.

My company is home to the largest private Ferrari racing program in the world, so you don't have to school me on how expensive racing is!

The failure of USF1 is completely irrelevent in any discussion regarding the USGP Austin; apples and oranges.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #56
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Quote:
The failure of USF1 is completely irrelevent in any discussion regarding the USGP Austin; apples and oranges.
When comparing F1 pipe dreams? It's your neck of the woods, have you heard of Tavo Hellmund before? I don't know beans about what local connections the guy has but it seems a bit of a jump to go from underdog privateer racer, to small time Late Model & USAC race promoter...to securing a 10 year F1 agreement on a track that isn't even green lighted yet.

If he pulls it off it looks like he will be the Stealth bomber of race promotions, but I don't think the odds are anywhere near even money. If that's way offbase I'd like to know why?
Old 06-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #57
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraan
100,000 people spending $1000 each is $100,000,000.

two hours from montreal isn't likely within the taxation of montreal, so much of that money is spent in outlying areas (not a bad thing.)

but if the local tax rates are like they were in indianapolis, then the city would have lost its collective ass attempting to fund an f1 race.

it's generally a myth that locally funded sporting events provide long term financial benefits to the community.

usgp ticket prices were some of the lowest in the world, however, and i don't believe there was a corporate sponsor.

needless dickery
green hell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #58
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradatlarge
While this is all true, there are also HUGE costs associated with the event....this is why Montreal told Big Bad Bernie to stuff it when he increased the cost of the race....the benefit no longer outweighed the cost.
The city of Montreal did not tell Bernie to stuff it. The race promoter did. Two different entities. Check it out.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #59
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
100,000 people spending $1000 each is $100,000,000.

two hours from montreal isn't likely within the taxation of montreal, so much of that money is spent in outlying areas (not a bad thing.)

but if the local tax rates are like they were in indianapolis, then the city would have lost its collective ass attempting to fund an f1 race.

it's generally a myth that locally funded sporting events provide long term financial benefits to the community.

usgp ticket prices were some of the lowest in the world, however, and i don't believe there was a corporate sponsor.
99% of the money is spent in the greater Montreal area. Everyone involved in the Canadian GP wins.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #60
Uglyprimate
UglyPirate

Oddometer: 6,945
And just what is wrong with Indianapolis???

MotoGP seems quite successfull. It has the facility, it has the infrastructure.

Fukin Redneck Nascar Texans can't even spell F1, let alone understand what it means.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: