Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
dirtriderbloke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
KTM EXC 2004 Lights not working??

Really need help guys and badly.
My rear brake light as well as my front head light and thermo fan don't work at all...high beam or low beam. they started flickering at the start and only worked when i revved the bike....then they just suddenly stopped working all together.
I had originally thought it might be my regulator/rectifier but I checked the battery voltage with a multimeter with my bike running and with light revs, it went up to 14.58 volts so im assuming my regulator is ok?
Just wondering what it could be??
The stator is brand new so can't possibly be that(bike idles and runs fine and stays running), ive already replaced my thermo switch and cooling fan as well as that brand new stator i got and I checked all the globes and all are fine.

All the wiring seems fine from what i checked, the high beam light near the handlebars lights up but that's the only light that works at the moment..... im stumped.

I'd say my regulator or rectifier still though or stator??
dirtriderbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:51 AM   #2
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtriderbloke View Post
Really need help guys and badly.
My rear brake light as well as my front head light and thermo fan don't work at all...high beam or low beam. they started flickering at the start and only worked when i revved the bike....then they just suddenly stopped working all together.
I had originally thought it might be my regulator/rectifier but I checked the battery voltage with a multimeter with my bike running and with light revs, it went up to 14.58 volts so im assuming my regulator is ok?
Just wondering what it could be??
The stator is brand new so can't possibly be that(bike idles and runs fine and stays running), ive already replaced my thermo switch and cooling fan as well as that brand new stator i got and I checked all the globes and all are fine.

All the wiring seems fine from what i checked, the high beam light near the handlebars lights up but that's the only light that works at the moment..... im stumped.

I'd say my regulator or rectifier still though or stator??
not sayin this is it but up through 2005 the RFS stators are known for going bad.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
dirtriderbloke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

which connection? there's a lot of them
you mean the white connector with the 3 silver prongs?

i just checked all the bulbs. the very small 1 at the headlight is blown i think. http://www.ktmsales.com.au/find/fiche/76739 - part number 37(the one where the brown and white wires go directly to in a small silver rubber cap thing

dirtriderbloke screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 06:00 AM
Old 11-17-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

If you go over to KTMTalk there is an electrical section. I suggest reading up in there. They talk about the checks to determine if the stator is working and how to test the components of your system.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
dirtriderbloke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
If you go over to KTMTalk there is an electrical section. I suggest reading up in there. They talk about the checks to determine if the stator is working and how to test the components of your system.
i have the manual and the wiring diagram and know how to test... it's just a matter of what to test.
would a blown bulb(the brown and white wires), cause the fan to also not work?

also a link to the exact thread would be great thanks. ive been looking for the past hour and can't find jack shit

dirtriderbloke screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 07:14 AM
Old 11-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
i have the manual and the wiring diagram and know how to test... it's just a matter of what to test.
would a blown bulb(the brown and white wires), cause the fan to also not work?

also a link to the exact thread would be great thanks. ive been looking for the past hour and can't find jack shit
I'm more familiar with the XCW which is setup so that stock the lights run off AC, the fan runs off DC from the battery. The stator puts out AC that is used to run the lights and DC that is used to charge the battery. First thing I'd check is the fuse next to the solenoid, there is 2, one is a spare. Also check and see what bulbs are blown.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
dirtriderbloke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm more familiar with the XCW which is setup so that stock the lights run off AC, the fan runs off DC from the battery. The stator puts out AC that is used to run the lights and DC that is used to charge the battery. First thing I'd check is the fuse next to the solenoid, there is 2, one is a spare. Also check and see what bulbs are blown.
i shorted the thermoswitch with a screwdriver to see if it'd work and it did. checked both fuses... all good. the front headlight bulbs are blown and the rear brake bulb is blown. i fail to see how this would also stop the fan from working?
Old 11-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
i shorted the thermoswitch with a screwdriver to see if it'd work and it did. checked both fuses... all good. the front headlight bulbs are blown and the rear brake bulb is blown. i fail to see how this would also stop the fan from working?
It wouldn't. Did you say the fan came on when you shorted the switch? They (Thermo switch) are also an item that doesn't seem to last.

If you shorted the switch leads and the fan came on AND you know its full of coolant AND you've gotten it hot enough to cycle the fan then the switch is bad. You're probably looking at a couple problems, thermo switch, blown bulbs.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
dirtriderbloke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
It wouldn't. Did you say the fan came on when you shorted the switch? They (Thermo switch) are also an item that doesn't seem to last.

If you shorted the switch leads and the fan came on AND you know its full of coolant AND you've gotten it hot enough to cycle the fan then the switch is bad. You're probably looking at a couple problems, thermo switch, blown bulbs.
i shorted the switch on purpose with a screwdriver to test it and see if it came on, which it did.
when i run the bike and it get's hot, that's when the fan doesn't come on...but then how come it comes on when it's shorted?
Old 11-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
i shorted the switch on purpose with a screwdriver to test it and see if it works, which it did.
when i run the bike and it get's hot, that's when the fan doesn't come on.
Sounds like the switch is bad, if the rads are full. You can put it in boiling water and ck resistance between the leads to make sure but I'll bet it's bad.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
dirtriderbloke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Sounds like the switch is bad, if the rads are full. You can put it in boiling water and ck resistance between the leads to make sure but I'll bet it's bad.
yeah radiator is definitely completely full. do you mean put the actual thermoswitch in boiling water?
Old 11-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
yeah radiator is definitely completely full. do you mean put the actual thermoswitch in boiling water?
The switch is normally open, if you dip the tip in boing water while checking resistance across the leads it will go to a short (O ohm resistance) or closed which turns on the fan. It's probably staying open.