Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
alijanah OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
EXC or Enduro 690 ?

Hi !

I'm in a bind over choosing between the Enduro 690 R or the 450/500EXC. I've got a small little Yamaha XT225 Serow (an old 1995) but it has served me well of a couple of long trip over mixed terrain (gravels, muds, hard packed sand, asphalt) but it has a bit of problem on asphalt as it's quite limited in it's top speed of only about 100km/hr. I wanted something that I can go on longer adventures. The group I travelled with are quite adventurous and most of the time, they do not plan for a specific route and we may encounter very mixed condition as out last outing really showed (very loose gravel, severe mud patches, a couple of floods, haha, you get the idea) and the serow has done 1450km in a couple of days without any issue at all apart from the speed issue.

I know the EXC are very capable off road although it has a very limiting fuel range (i know there are many options out there). There is one 450EXC Six Days that went with us on the trip and he said on the longer asphalt leg, the EXC is quite straining too at 120km/hr. I seriously think the Enduro 690 is more practical although it may not be able to do super hardcore off road bit. Weight is also an issue with the enduro being 152kg (wet) vs 121kg (both the 450/500 EXC) wet. I know that's 30kg difference and that's quite a lot but I still can't decide.

What do you guys think. I'm sure someone here has a similar problem.

Thanks and looking forward to hear from you more experienced adventure riders.
alijanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
ArcticRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
While your waiting for responses, you might find some excellent threads on this topic by the search option. I just got a 690E and found great info on here....somewhere
ArcticRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
dualsportride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
If your not going to do any single track or a lot of woods riding I would go with te 690. The EXC is pretty much a woods bike that can go on the road, but the seat is hard, and the tank is small for long trips. I would say the EXC is a 90/10 more towards the offroad side. If I follow you correct on what kind of riding you will be doing I would get the 690, and put some good adventure tires on it.
dualsportride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,065
I rode with TrailGoat one day in Des Moines on gravel, blacktop, and a bit in the woods. While I could kick his tail anytime I wanted to on blacktop, we were about equal on gravel with me on Scorpions. But, in the woods with trees tight on the trail, sand, and dried ruts, that 690 was ridiculously fast. Rod would just zip ahead of me like he was a motocross racer, while I was wallowing in the sand and ruts trying to catch up. If you get the 690 and want to ride it at night, you will be replacing the headlight. TrailGoat had a really nice setup in this regard. He's since moved and sold the bike to the owner of MotoSports in Des Moines: www.motosportspps.com. After talking to the new owner, I don't think he's going to sell it.

Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
alijanah OP
n00b

Yeah, the 690 is starting to look better and better now. No matter how I try to convince myself, the EXC is more off road capable, I know I would not use it for single track and woods 90% of the time. It's the long adventure ride that I find more fun but I wouldn't want to bring something that is too freaking heavy so as not to be able to cross severe mud / clay / patches or even a few rivers for that matter. The pricing are also very similar for both (comparing to the 500EXC). In terms of add ons (extra range fuel tank, luggage options), the 690 seems to have a much wider choice from the many vendors I can find online as opposed to the EXC which may be more expensive to custom tailor for the job. Hmm !!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
ondi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
How about 640 adventure? It has big tanks stock, decent on single track. do some research on problems with FI on 690s. Meybe ktm worked all those bugs out by now.
ondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
bigvan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Go with the 690. I can keep up with all my mx friends in the woods. The bike is a little heavier but I only ride woods every so often and the weight is not a big enough deal to go out and buy another bike! Monday thru friday I can slap on a windshield and hard boxes and commute to work or take off and cross the state. Super versatile.
bigvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,221
What are your friends riding? You don't want more or less bike than the guys you want to ride with. Have you looked at the Husaburg FE570? I am leaning that way but still need to learn more about the bike. I want something more like 60/40 dirt/street but lighter than a 690.

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
zimm
KTM

Oddometer: 150
How many miles to you plan to put on this bike? EXC's need very frequent oil changes and valve adjustments. 690 motor is 3000 mile oil change, 6000 mile valve adjustments. Much more of a street oriented bike- electric cooling fan, cush drive (at least on the SMC version I had), EFI, etc. But I wouldn't want to take a 690 on single track in tough terrain.

Gone: '89 Honda Hawk GT650, '98 Honda VTR1000F, 2007 BMW R1200S, 2008 Harley Night Rod Special, 2007 Yamaha FZ1, 2008 KTM 300XC-W(e), 2008 KTM 690 SMC
zimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
alijanah OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee2 View Post
What are your friends riding? You don't want more or less bike than the guys you want to ride with. Have you looked at the Husaburg FE570? I am leaning that way but still need to learn more about the bike. I want something more like 60/40 dirt/street but lighter than a 690.
The group I'm riding current has 4 Yamaha Xt225 Serows, I have the Serow too, a KTM EXC 450 SixDays, Suzuki DRZ400 S, Kawasaki Versys, BMW GS1100, Another Old BMW (not sure which model), a KTM Dakkar Edition, Honda XR250. Some of these are our single track bikes but we took all these out on the 1450km route through mixed condition but no single track a week back. I'm planning for even longer trip and I'm tired of trying to keep up on the asphalt bit with the bigger bikes.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #11
alijanah OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm View Post
How many miles to you plan to put on this bike? EXC's need very frequent oil changes and valve adjustments. 690 motor is 3000 mile oil change, 6000 mile valve adjustments. Much more of a street oriented bike- electric cooling fan, cush drive (at least on the SMC version I had), EFI, etc. But I wouldn't want to take a 690 on single track in tough terrain.
Thats'a good point. The oil changes itself already is an excellent point. A friend who has the Versys has a similar intention, EXC or Enduro, he wanted the EXC for both hardcore single track use and long distance tourer. I told him let's get the 690 Enduro as it's more practical.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #12
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
How comfortable are EXC's and Husaberg FE570 on highway compared to 690? Actually they both have wider range gearboxes than 690 and maintenance is not so critical if you are not racing them. I am thinking of replacing my 950SE but can't decide which bike to choose?
randel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #13
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
What you need is a Yamaha WR 250 R.
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:30 AM   #14
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyns View Post
What you need is a Yamaha WR 250 R.
He wasn't asking about a Yamaha WR250R
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #15
Scout_WY
Pirate

Oddometer: 118
my 2 cents

This past year I have been looking for THE one do all bike. I've purchased an EXC, SE and a 690 E. I farkled all of them, tanks, oil coolers racks etc. Road all but the 690 extensively. Bought it last fall and prepping it for spring.

The EXC while fully capable of what you want to do is truely a 80/20% off road mount. Your not interested in an SE so I won't go into it's pros/cons.

The 690 is my choice of the do all mount. Granted we all know there is no "one bike". But I think it is as close as you can get in the KTM fleet.
Yes, you should address addition of more fuel storage. better seat, lights, fuel tank support etc.
There is a GREAT thread in here
"new and improved KTM 690 wunderfest" Lots of good info and people to help with it's glitch's.

About the glitch's, All bikes have them! Whats cool about the thread they are identified and send you down the correct road for solutions.

I think if you got one you will be more than happy. If you have specific questions feel free to PM me.

NRA life
Scout_WY is offline   Reply With Quote