Oddometer: 15,098
check the intake tract for leaks.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #168
stussels
chupacabra!

Oddometer: 136
thats my plan. when i had it apart looking it over i noticed the intake rubber from the engine to carb was cracked. i replaced it along with the oring hoping that would take care of it but i guess it didnt. i am glad to have it out of the house for now though. too wet and cold out now to mess with it. but i will get after it. i just do not like the way it effects the compression braking when you roll off the throttle. like riding a two smoker! the brakes are terrible, and the bars/forks seem to be slightly out of alignment. so im not done yet but at least its now rideable. suspension seems to work quite well so thats good. the list is getting shorter! oh, does anyone have a good method of checking for leaks? spray something on the intake area? if so, whats best? thx yall-

stussels screwed with this post 03-21-2011 at 08:02 PM
stussels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #169
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,328
it might be lean from a dirty carb jet

run it after dark and see if the pipe glows

carb cleaner sprayed around the intake/carb area will work for leak check

soon a ride to schmits

i'm still tunning my sp650
Old 03-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #170
Tudelum48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Glad to hear it run

I figure the SP600 is a pretty rare bird. I can top it a little. I have a factory repair manul for mine. When I bought it I told them either I got the factory manual or no go. They just sold me theres and never replaced it.

I got in the habit years ago when I buy something I get the factory manual. Money in the bank.

We had the (I call it the slow jet) plug up on ours took awhile to figure out exactly where it was plugged. But I think your on the right track. The one we have idles smooth and slower than yours. I dont think the brakes are that bad, but they have gotten better over the years.

Good Work
Tudelum48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #171
stussels
chupacabra!

fortunately this bike came with a factory manual as well. im sure ill be making use of it soon. yes, it could be the pilot jet as well. if i find no leaks ill be pulling the carb to check that out. probably shouldve done it while i had it apart for the insulator. po claimed he just cleaned the carb so i took his word for it, my mistake. as for the brakes im thinking rebuild master, stainless lines, go through the caliper and new pads. that ought to firm it up a bit i hope. i may mess with it tomm.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #172
stussels
chupacabra!

ran it a bit more yesterday, the idle problem seems to be getting better on its own. ill run it more this week when it warms up. it still pops at times at low rpm further indicating some carb/pilot jet issues. what im more worried about now though is a noise that im guessing is the cam chain. has anyone replaced one on this bike or the dr? i searched for a how to but havent found what im looking for. the service manual is just a tear down and back together kinda thing. i would rather something more focused on just the cam chain replacement but i may just have to do my best with manual. any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #173
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

i may have a pdf manual for a dr650
i will check and pass it along if i can
Old 03-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #174
stussels
chupacabra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post
i may have a pdf manual for a dr650
i will check and pass it along if i can
thx for that tdr, not sure that your dr650 manual would be any different than my sp manual. but if so by all means.

i did get the bike titled and plated and managed to get in a short 40 mile shakedown run. definately needs more attention. clutch feels like its trying to grab sometimes when the lever is pulled. may be able to adjust that out though. idle is still funky but not bad. ill be going through the carb once i get some more fundage. actually it rode quite nicely. lots of pep, wheelies easy with a twist in first. fifth is nice and tall for cruising 70+. it just felt so nice to get back on two wheels after winter. my friend on an old seca 650 had a hard time keeping up. i need to get back to work before i put anymore into it. this will be a great bike once its sorted though. im much looking forward to it.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #175
dancerdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
after thinking back to when Tudelum got his SP.. he had a 500 honda before the SP, we worked together and talked a lot about buying a bigger dual sport so we started looking.. i was first to set on the SP, it did not fit me at all.. so next came to kaw shop.. they had a 600 klr.. it felt so much better and the SP was already a year old(couldn't sell it) i bought the 600 klr and he bought the SP and our other friend bought a 600 Honda.. ya just cant ride the same kind of bikes and that SP had a very hard life, it lasted thru my 600 and into the klr 650 that i got in 1988..it seem the SP and him was made for each other..i never rode it.. the rule then was (cant start it cant ride it) so me being a little lazy the klr was best for me anyway.. i got lots of storys about that him and that old SP but ya got to let a sleeping dog(bike) sleep or something like that..
Old 03-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #176
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

the basic engine is the same

pm me your e-mail and i will pass it along
Old 03-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #177
Tudelum48
Gnarly Adventurer

SP's like to Wheelie

Old 03-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #178
Tudelum48
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 03-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #179
stussels
chupacabra!

comin along

got a new set of kendas mounted on the sp today. garbaged the old weather checked set that was on it. also, opened the float bowl to find the original owner never rejetted to go along with his airbox drilling and hogged out muffler. ive ordered a larger pilot to hopefully take care of the popping at start up. hope it makes it easier to start cold too. i still need to find a socket to allow me to remove the plugs so i can get an idea of whats going on in there as nothing i had on hand fit! will probably go larger on the main once i can check the plugs. got some other odds and ends sorted so it just keeps getting better. im really diggin this bike the more i ride it and get it squared away.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:19 AM   #180
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

what kendas' are you running?