User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #181
stussels
chupacabra!

Oddometer: 139
kendas

kenda k270's. i dont know if these are good or bad but the price was right. namely, cheap! anyone had any experience with em?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #182
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Cir: 1984 - After attending UT for a year I figured college was not for me. Sold everything I owned....car, desk, dresser and a bowling ball and hitchhiked to LA from Austin Tx. Ended up on a freighter playing the roll of mess bitch. We ported in Honolulu Hawaii and I decided right there this was my new home.

A week later I was gainfully employed selling suntan lotion on Waikiki beach, room above a garage and sporting new line of Hawaiian foot wear. Life was set except no ride....hated taking the bus everywhere.

Reading through local paper I stumble across an ad for new SP600, 52miles must sell, $1500. I call the guy up. He's Navy Officer, bought the bike on a whim and when the wife found out threatened divorce. He lived in a Condo downtown Honolulu and added a bus stop was 1/2 block away and offered to throw in a helmet and leather jacket. How could I pass up this opportunity? My motorcycle experience included years of dreaming while flipping motorcycle magazines for as long as I can remember. Parents forbid even mentioning the word 'motorcycle' while growing up.

I showed up more excited then that one nite with Nadine back in HS in the back of my 71 Cutlass. I meet the guy and he takes me down to the underground parking garage. Even in that low light the bike was perfect....showroom new! I paid him the cash, tried on the helmet and jacket and asked him to go over the basic controls as they 'might be different than my last bike'. I had once sat on a bike and made vroom vroom noises...I was about 8yrs old.

I farted around enough that he finally left. I was too proud i.e. stupid to admit my experience and simply wanted him gone so I could figure it out. I scanned through the owners manual to figure out how to start it and amazingly it fired right up. Next half hour was me learning how to gas/clutch and brake in the underground garage. Feeling confident at this point I decided it was time to make it home with my new pride and joy!

Exiting the garage I was struck with the fact that I was heading out right at 5pm rush hour. Needless to say I somehow survived the ride home. It was scary and thrilling at the same time. Spent all the next few days practicing in a local HS parking lot then spent the next 9 months, selling suntan lotion, getting laid and riding my SP600 all over Oahu....life sure was great back then!
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #183
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,330
great storie man
Old 03-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #184
stussels
chupacabra!

i love it, sp's and good times go hand in hand. suppose it could be any motorcycle but since this is the sp thread im sticking to it being the result of the sp600! i sure wish mine had 52 miles on it when i got it with a former military owner. pretty sure it wouldnt have all the crap that ive found on mine to deal with.

stussels screwed with this post 03-22-2011 at 05:51 PM
stussels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #185
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stussels View Post
kenda k270's. i dont know if these are good or bad but the price was right. namely, cheap! anyone had any experience with em?
that's what i have on my 91 dr650 and 02 drz250 i love them
Old 03-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #186
Tudelum48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Kenda 270's

Well My experiance with the 270 wasnt very good. I replaced the stock tires on my DR650 with the 270's and thought I had a flat right out of the garage. They were good in dirt/gravel but felt like I was riding on ball bearings on the back on blacktop. I took them off and put a set of Shinko 705's on it and felt like I had a road racer in comparison. I couldnt believe how bad they handled and a few months later re spooned them out of curiosity. They were still bad. So I gave them to a buddy of mine and he put them on his 650 KLR. A week later he called me and asked me what he had done to make me mad? I said what do you mean? He said those tires are going to get me killed.

It turned out he wore the back tire down and it did get some better. When he replaced the back and still had the 270 on the front he said it rode fine. Worst set of tires I personally ever ran. My 2 cents.
Tudelum48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #187
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

you should run them on a gravel road for a few miles

they are a good knobby on the road and good street tyre in the dirt

all around a great dual sport tyre for me
Old 03-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #188
stussels
chupacabra!

ya know, i took it down the road to the store just a couple miles and it did feel squirmy. i was hoping it was just because of them being brand new but the knobs do feel quite soft. ill reserve judgement till i get em scrubbed in. maybe experiment with different pressures more also. ill try not to let you psyche me out but it may be too late!
Old 03-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #189
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

i think i 'm running 32 psi on my dr650
Old 03-25-2011, 04:40 AM   #190
Tudelum48
Gnarly Adventurer

270 Tread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post
i think i 'm running 32 psi on my dr650

There was a tread on the 270's or at least alot of talk I think I might have seen it on the DR650 thread. The general concensus was they were squirmey. You have to run higher than normal pressure to live with them on the blacktop. The back tire is the worst of the 2.

They did very well in the dirt, that's where they belong.

I am running TKC 80's and they feel good compared to the 270.
Worst tire I ever ran on the back was the Kenda 270 on blacktop. My 2 cents.

This thread is really coming along we have come far enough to have tire talk. Who would have ever thought it?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #191
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

i wonder if they redesigned the 270s

my set are new with about 200 miles on them they feel fine on dr650
on the road and off

the drz250 has around 1k on its k270s and once more they are great all around tyre

i live in the hills of wv so twisty roads of all sort are the norm .
just be carefull untill they break in !!

any ride pix out there?
Old 03-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #192
stussels
chupacabra!

got my new pilot jet today and installed. turned the air fuel mix screw out 2.5 turns, do yall think thats a good place to start?

as i said, i still need to get a proper socket for the plugs so i can see whats happening in the combustion chamber. otherwise i havent taken any action pics as ive been mostly riding solo. id like to get down to wayne nat'l forest here soon, that will be a good place for some pics. ill be sure to bring my camera. i sure hope this new pilot makes cold starting easier. when warm its one easy kick and it fires right up.

works been picking up and the weather turned cold again so might be a bit before im back out again but im looking forward to it with these latest changes.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #193
stussels
chupacabra!

smoother

okay, messed with it a bit today. air screw 3 turns out with the larger pilot and idle screw lowered quite a few turns gets us closer to good.

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...urrent=001.mp4

nevermind my humming the spiderman theme to myself at the beginning. the neighbor kid calls it the spiderman bike, lol. i also pointed out the welded crack that was in the sidecover. when i was revving it that was full open from idle, trying to make it hiccup. while it was still too many kicks to fire from cold it didnt pop like it did before once started, so i think im on the right track.

stussels screwed with this post 03-26-2011 at 12:31 PM
stussels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #194
Tudelum48
Gnarly Adventurer

270's

TD they might have done something different to the 270's. There was alot of complaints. If you want your DR to feel like its on rails on blacktop get a set of the Shinko 705's. My experiance with them was blacktop was great but on gravel the front wanted to slide pretty easily( but most do). I went to Colorado last year and rode for a week. Blacktop to get to the off road parts. Rode some of the CDR, the Colorado part of the TAT and several mountain passes including Tomochi,Hancock,Huricane and Black Bear. I put on a new set of TKC 80's. They did very well and helped save my old butt more than once. I was really surprised by how good they were on both blacktop and off road. They are priced pretty steep but I think I have found the tire of choice for me.

If all goes well this fall I will be doing some riding in Virginia and W,Va. Going to ride some of the TETS and some stuff I threw together to get me back to KY. Really looking forward to it. You have some nice riding there for the SP/DR bikes.

Colorado Pic's http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/a...rado%20Riding/
Old 03-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #195
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

contact me when you get to the wv

i like my k270 they feel good on the road and good off road on my 91 dr650
and freaken great on my drz250

if you want to try them on my 650 let me know