Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #361
stussels
chupacabra!

Oddometer: 139
this is probably the most breathing on an sp has ever received. im enjoying the progress. im actually glad you stepped in to keep the sp thread alive as i wont be doing anything more to mine for a bit. never got around to addressing my weeping base gasket last winter so until i do ill just be riding. base gasket is more annoying right now than a real problem so it should be good until next winter.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #362
RichardSP600
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Got me one of them SPud banger things

I just got my first bike last week 85 SP 600. At first I was bummed about the starting procedure, now I got it down pat. I walk it up to the end of my block, and I roll it down a hill in second gear. Starts everytime on a big enough hill

Well it started fine when cold for the first few days, but then I re gapped the plugs, after noticing that they were practically falling out of the block, and I cleaned the cdi connections with baking soda and water. Now it isn't starting on the second kick like it was doing cold. It still doesn't want to start at all when its hot, unless I roll it. Several times it has backfired a few times and died while going 50mph. Other then that it runs like a champ. I have a SuperTrapp muffler coming for it in a few days, the muffler is gone completely, and a new speedometer cable.

Fun bike for me. I live in Flagstaff, Az. so there are some beautiful roads, as well as a ton of dirt, and cinder cones. I took the safety class two weeks ago. Other then that I've never been on a bike. So much fun riding the SP600 up to the Snowbowl, our local ski area. It's a windy road that gains 2000 feet in 7 miles.

My friend said I need to get the valve clearances checked, and one may be sticking occasionally which may be why it back fires, and dies occasionally. He was working with me over the phone from Minnesota so didnt actually see the bike. This would effect the starting to I assume? I can start it with throttle turned, but after a couple of times feeling like my ankle is going to break, I gave up on giving it gas while kicking it.

So what should I do with this thing to make it start easier. The starting procedure I was told by the seller, who told me he didn't change the oil in 3 yrs(I paid 500 bucks) was to pull the lever on the top left of the engine, which I assume is the decompression lever, push the crank down until it gets hard TDC, let the kicker back up, push the lever again, depress the kicker a 1/4 inch, let the kicker back up, let go of the lever, and kick it like Chuck Norris. It started for him the second try after sitting four months.

I assume I should check the fuel flter, which I assume to be in the tank right above the petcock, and would require that I
unbolt the petcock from the bottom while the tank is empty to get to the fuel filter? Total speculation here. Im getting a service manual shipped to me from an ebay seller.

So what I did to it so far, I changed the oil/filter, cleaned the air filter, gapped the nice looking plugs, cleaned a bunch of wire connectors with baking soda and water, and spent four hours tightening every last bolt and nut on the thing. The rear sprockets 6 or so bolts were all so lose that while it was idleing the nut and bolt together were turning in its hole from vibrations, I could turn them with one finger. Also the drain bolt on the bottom of the carb was dripping and I found out that the guy overtightened it, cracking the float chamber cover slightly. Some loc-tite worked nicely there. I greased the chain with 3 in 1 oil, checked the tires, and my roomie checked the battery which read 12.75v when the bike was off.

My roomie is also just graduating with a degree in electrical engineering, and this house looks like a mad scientist shop of electrical stuff. He would be interested in doing more to help me with electric stuff, if anyone has any suggestions. He has access to our universities electrical engineering labs also if there is something I really need examined.

I'd love to post a pic, but don't get how, the thing only allows for online pics for some reason.
RichardSP600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #363
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,332
sounds like the valves are tight
Old 04-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #364
RichardSP600
n00b

I will try to book an appointment at the local shop to get the valves checked. Is this something that I can do myself? It's been 16 years since I rebuilt an engine in autoshop. Just was told the shop charges a 100/hr for labor.

Hope the pic worked. I loaded it to Facebook, so hopefully.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #365
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

its the same as a 90-95 dr650 there is a factory service to download free

get it and read it
Old 04-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #366
RichardSP600
n00b

http://sonnentag.net/temp/dr650/1990...ice_Manual.pdf

Thanks for the advice on the DR650 service manual download. Here is a link that works, that I found. The carb is definitely different on mine fyi. Though other stuff looks the same. Now I wish I would have looked for a muffler for one of these instead of searching the net in vain for a SP specific one. Though the Super Trapp 1 1/2 inch inlet universal should work hopefully. The repair shop is closed Sun, Mon so need to wait for Tuesday to make an appointment for the valves. I put Sea Foam in the tank to clean the carb. Funny thing, I found an unstruck paper match in my gas tank. Makes me wonder how the fuel filter looks. Also I can see rust spots in the tank, if that means anything. Still would like to figure out how to just upload a pic from my computer to here. Nice that this bike probably spent it's whole life in AZ. Every one turns their heads when I drive by, and all the little kids do a throttle turning motion with their hands for me to rev it as I drive past.

Can't wait until this runs well enough for me to feel comfortable driving far from home. I want to head 250 miles to Tucson to see my parents before it gets way to hot there. April 26 I want to head to a big party for Pacific Crest Trail hikers on the Mexican border 60 miles east of San Diego too, and I really don't want to get stranded in the desert. Not planning on taking the interstate. Should be a nice ride from Flagstaff.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:59 AM   #367
RichardSP600
n00b

I got my service manual in the mail today. Fun reading, still leaves me with so many questions. At least I determined that my plugs were sparking nicely as I moderately kicked it tonight. Nice sparks were flashing in the gaps. Will track down my neighbors compression tester tomorrow. Also according to the manual checking the valves seems easy, just need a feeler gauge and a screwdriver. But won't tell me if the springs aren't that springy, or if they are sitting horribly.

On a different note, I looked down at the cylinder head today through the plug hole and it seems to be covered with carbon. Not sure if normal or not.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #368
gunut75
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Laugh Valves

The valves are easy. If you are doing them for the first time, it may take an hour or so. You will spend more time getting the covers off than you will adjusting the valves. If you HAVE rebuilt an engine before, then you will surely kick yourself if you pay to have it done. It's VERY easy, and causes start problems if not adjusted properly. Photos can be uploaded to Photobucket. Then just copy and paste the img code to the post. If you preview your post, you can see if it worked or not. Ride safe...........and have fun!!!!

85 Suzuki SP600 tard project (in progress)
gunut75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #369
gunut75
Adventurer

Puke Btt

Just throwing this back to the top. Got some neat developments coming up.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #370
gunut75
Adventurer

Pissed Crap!!!!

A little held up right now. Spindle control in my lathe gave up the ghost. Gotta reallocate the funds to that. Gonna be some slow progress for a couple more weeks. Some of y'all that just picked them up, post up if your out riding!

Old 04-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #371
stussels
chupacabra!

Oddometer: 139
nothing new

sun burst out of the clouds right before i went for a ride so i snapped a couple of pics. decomp cable gave up so i put on a new one and also a front brake light switch. maybe next pay ill be ordering the timing chain and guides for it. then ill be ready to open it up for its base gasket leak. just changed its oil and it seems to have gotten worse here last few rides. i need to get moving on that. anyway, here she be:

Old 05-17-2012, 07:07 AM   #372
gunut75
Adventurer

Bluhduh Indecicive......

I can't decide between the 17 or the 19 in. front wheel. The 19 looks tough as hell, but I already ordered a 17 tire for the front. Maybe I'll stick with the 17 street set-up for now, and find another front wheel that I can put a 19" hoop on, and some knobbies. Totally swamped with work, so progress is s-l-o-w.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #373
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

Old 06-14-2012, 01:19 AM   #374
sp600
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I second that,
sp600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #375
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 350
Wow, that looks beautiful. Love the shiny red plastics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stussels View Post
sun burst out of the clouds right before i went for a ride so i snapped a couple of pics. anyway, here she be: