Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #421
stussels
chupacabra!

Oddometer: 136
hey welcome aboard. your sp seems to be coming along too. did you get that tank off of ebay? if so, i think my skidplate came from the same bike!
Old 01-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #422
RiderRat
thumpin!

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by stussels View Post
hey welcome aboard. your sp seems to be coming along too. did you get that tank off of ebay? if so, i think my skidplate came from the same bike!
Thank you, and yes I did, just recently. It probably was the same bike, the seller had a lot of parts. That's too funny!!
RiderRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #423
RiderRat
thumpin!

Question Decompression confusion

Hopefully someone has an answer for me!

I tried to read most of this so I'll apologize if this has already been answered..

Is the automatic decompression reccomended? When I bought the bike it was disconnected and I've been able to start it, serious piston to be moving, we all know that; but should I buy the linkage and hook it back up or say forget it and rock the lever only? http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/Norton.gif

Thanks gang

RiderRat screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 09:41 PM
Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #424
stussels
chupacabra!

should be fine as it is. mines not hooked up either. i just use the lever.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #425
RiderRat
thumpin!

DR 350 front caliper?

Thanks Stussels! I'm going to leave it alone then.

I'm thinking about putting a 1993 DR 350 front caliper on rather than rebuilding the stock caliper. I found a decent one on eBay but I'm having trouble finding both disc diameters to see if it'll match up.

I like the newer DR caliper more because it's the two piston set-up rather than the SP's single piston caliper.

Any help much appreciated!
Ride on rats!

RiderRat screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 08:21 AM Reason: Spelling lol
Old 01-31-2013, 07:11 AM   #426
stussels
chupacabra!

ive been considering something similar. just havent got around to figuring out which, if any, rotor will bolt up to the stock hub. friend of mine has an older dr350 that i would take measurements from if he lived closer. i think the rmz rotor may have potential too. let me know if ya find out anything on that and ill do the same.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #427
stussels
chupacabra!

super nice sp on the bay of e

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-...#ht_500wt_1184
Old 02-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #428
RiderRat
thumpin!

ebay

Wow!! The one on eaby is a gem! A gentle gem! Hopefully mine looks like that soon..

I'm still not sure what to do about my front brake. (the piston is totally seized) I found a local shop with a nice DR 350 front wheel with a nice tire and disc mounted. I'm thinking mix the two and get a the caliper to match... A new steel braided hose and I'm back in the game.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #429
stussels
chupacabra!

if you do that youll lose the super classy gold rim. see if the rotor will bolt up first. might not need the rest of the wheel. and then id know what rotor to get
Old 02-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #430
sp600
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Front Caliper

I had a similar problem as you Rider Rat when I bought my sp 600. The front caliper piston was seized. I took it apart and tried sanding down the piston to no avail so I ended up buying a Gsp piston and both seals. But as everyone knows, this caliper leaves something to be desired when it comes to hard braking.
sp600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #431
RiderRat
thumpin!

New Parts!

Yo riders! I'm trying to get some SP excitement in everyone for SPring!!

I purchased a 1990 Dr650 front caliper and rotor along with a new steel-braided cable and newer master-cylinder to complete the front brake swap. hoping they will pretty much bolt on with little tinkering, but we'll see, they're not here yet. If they do bolt on then my front brake issues will be no more and it should increase my stopping power a little..

I also purchased a new kick starter because my would swing out from the bike while making a sharp right turn hahaha and just overall seemed like it needed replaced.

I'll post some pictures when the parts arrive in the mail! Ride on fellow riders!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #432
sp600
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderRat View Post
Yo riders! I'm trying to get some SP excitement in everyone for SPring!!

I purchased a 1990 Dr650 front caliper and rotor along with a new steel-braided cable and newer master-cylinder to complete the front brake swap. hoping they will pretty much bolt on with little tinkering, but we'll see, they're not here yet. If they do bolt on then my front brake issues will be no more and it should increase my stopping power a little..

I also purchased a new kick starter because my would swing out from the bike while making a sharp right turn hahaha and just overall seemed like it needed replaced.

I'll post some pictures when the parts arrive in the mail! Ride on fellow riders!
Definitely keep us updated on this.

On a side note: There's an entire sp600 being parted out on eBay right now. sp600 Parts
sp600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #433
deputygene
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunut75 View Post
I had to stop at a local performance shop that has a 98 DR sitting on the floor and take pics of the linkage and rear shock mount points. It'll take me a couple days to make the brackets and have them welded on.
I had to destroy the bearings in the SP swinger to get them out. They want $18 a piece for them. Maybe I'll call my local bearing supplier and see if he can beat that. They have to be ordered anyway.
Now to hunt down a rebuild kit for the shock. The last one I saw was $300!!!
Wheels.............wheels are gonna be $600+ (unless I find a DR rear and a YZ front independently). Time to look into that too. Probably going with black Excels. Some sort of stripe painted on the side. Maybe a sticker stripe so I can change it every time a tire change takes place.
Going to try one of those fancy "little" batteries too. Ya know; the new ones that weigh like 3 lbs. or less.
Cheers!
Sorry to thread hi-jack, but can any of you with an SP or pre 96 DR tell me if these wheels are for your bike. I got this extra set of aluminum front and rear wheels with my 05 DR, but they do not fit the DR.

the rear disk is larger

Guy said they were an extra set of DR wheels. Didn't even notice till I had mounted a tire and tried to put on the bike
deputygene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #434
RiderRat
thumpin!

I don't think that's SP or Dr...

I'm still pretty new at this but in my findings an older bike would not have a larger disk...

Everything I've tried to match up for the front of my SP is usually bigger if newer and smaller if older, or a different size bike.

Just a shot in the dark but maybe it was on a big DR like a 750 or 800
Old 03-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #435
RiderRat
thumpin!

to continue my front brake issues...

So, the early 90's Dr650 front caliper does not bolt on like I was dreaming for but it is really close! My plan is to get a small bracket machined to incorporate the existing holes on the forks and make up for the small gap since the disc are totally different sizes. I'll get some pics up this weekend with the larger disc on the wheel and when i start messing the the "upgraded brake kit"

ride on fellow riders!

PS. Saw the charters of "Tig" and "Bobby" from Son's of Anarchy at a motorcycle expo in Philly today haha! thought I'd share