Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
havafati OP
Yassdafarian

Oddometer: 1,987
Kosciusko National Park Ride

Day One
My mate Drew and I thought we'd get a ride in before the snow hit the Kosciusko Alpine region.
We left Yass and headed along Wee Jasper road before turning off onto Mountain Creek road. we followed it until we were supposed to turn off onto Two Sticks road, but from what we could find it was a locked gate road. So we followed Mountain Creek road till we hit Brindabella road turned right and made our way up to Piccadilly Circus where we turned right again and headed down into Brindabella Valley making our way to Crace Lane, which was also bloody Closed.

Locked and Loaded

Crace Lane Closed find another way

I wish I had an helmet cam for the next part as it was really good fun so nobody thought to take a picture or two.
We left Craces Lane behind and continued along Brindabella/Tumut Road until we got to Barnetts Road where we turned left. We head along here until we hit Boundary Road and turned right. Boundary Road was a very unused track with lots of logs across it and plenty of washouts to avoid. There was also a knarley creek crossing about one quarter of the way along Boundary road over Emu Flat Creek. A steep drop down into the creek followed by a VERY steep exit out. Both Lil Beema and Drew's DR 650 handled it with aplomb. Not long after this the track became little more than a path in the bush, this is where Drew touched the front brake a touch to much in the mud and went down for a closer inspection of the ground.
After about three hours of slow technical riding we made it into Tumut where we refuelled before heading off up the Snowy Mountains Highway. After a pleasant ride along the Highway (marred only by me dropping Lil Beema in the middle of the highway on a slow u-turn after a photo op, this gave Drew a big smile as it was witnessed by many) we turned off towards Kiandra along the Link road. We turned left off here onto Goat Ridge road then left again onto Snowy Ridge Road then onto Tooma Road which took us to Alpine Way and Khancoban where we fuelled up again. It was starting to get dark at this stage so we decided to change our plans again and make camp at Geehi another 30 klicks up the road rather than push for Tom Groggin.
We made Geehi just after dark and set up camp in a little stone picnic hut just beside the roaring Swamp Creek River. It was pretty cold and the fog came in early but a few slugs of some good schnapps sorted us out pretty quick.

Our Camp at Geehi

My Swag at our camp at Geehi

Drew's swag at our camp at Geehi

Nice spot for camping at Geehi

Spiderwebs in the morning at Geehi

Our campsite at Geehi

Swamp Creek River at Geehi

Day Two

The next morning we took things nice and slow. After loading up we headed off up Alpine Way to Tom Groggin for a look. Tom Groggin was very pretty with kangaroos and emus everywhere. Positioned right on the Murray River head waters Tom Groggin is on the border with Victoria.

Kangaroos and Emus at Tom Groggin

Having a Ciggie by the Murray River, Tom Groggin

The Murray River head waters. Victoria is on the other side, Tom Groggin

The weather looked overcast as we rode up to Tom Groggin and beyond. Soon enough though we started to get glimpses of blue skies through the tree tops and that was when we realised that we were breaking through the tops of the clouds. Not long after we could look down at the cloud tops, it was very cool (literally).

Riding above the Cloud Tops

About an hour after we left Geehi we made it to the top of the Great Dividing Range and Dead Horse Gap on the western ridge of Mount Kosiusko.
The highest point of the ride and just a few days before this becomes a total white out. 1582 meters above sea level.

Great Dividing Range

Dead Horse Gap 1

Dead Horse Gap 2

Dead Horse Gap looking down the valley towards Thredbo

Looking back at Mount Kosciusko

Entrance Kosiusko National Park

We then made our way down the valley past Thredbo to Jindabyne where we had a nice little brekky of bacon and egg rolls and strong coffee. Mmmmm bacon. After refuelling we headed along Kosciusko road before we turned left onto Eucumbene Road. We followed this until we found Wainui Road and turned right. This was a lovely little road winding its way the a few cattle properties, and when the sign says hard left it means it as I found out the hard way, not off but nearly. At the end of Wainui rd we turned right into Buckenderra Rd then left onto Middlingbank Rd which brought us out at the Snowy Mountains Highway just before Adaminaby where we threw some more fuel into the bikes before double-tracking back to Bobeyan Rd which took us through Namadgi National Park and into Canberra where Drew and I parted company and I headed home to Yass.

All in all we covered about 750 kilometres and had a blast. Hopefully another ride to back up soon to keep the ole body fit enough for the OCR in August. Cheers for the company Drew lets go again ASAP.

Here is the Google Map for those who are interested.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?ie...6,3.153076&z=9
havafati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
Noice....

I feel cold just looking at those pics...
Old 05-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
ktmman1503
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Nice Ride... Was up that part of the world over last Xmas with a good mate.. Crossed the Murray at Tom Groggin and road south down Davies Plain Track.

Nice pics... Thanks for that.

Cheers.
ktmman1503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
DualSPRTfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
cool

Those are some interesting one man mini tents/sleeping bags.... never seen that before.

Any info on them, who makes them etc. They look like an interesting option if packing light.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
ktmman1503
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Who's are you talking about??
ktmman1503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
dobbo
dirt dog

Oddometer: 925
Mate, great ride report........ and it's big

Have been up that way alot over the last 2 years, like what you did at Geehi.

If you get back up that way again; I'd recommend spending a few hours and have a look around Guthega and Charlottes Pass.... sensational

Here are a couple of pics, of what you missed.

Sorry for hijacking your RR...... but great job!

dobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:36 AM   #7
TrailDoug
Yamaha AT1 - my first

Oddometer: 6
Thanks

Pity you missed Two Sticks Road, as its quicker and nice little fire trail. The gate is not locked, just needs to be closed after you of course.
TrailDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:43 AM   #8
Jaqhammar
Hooligan

Oddometer: 2,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSPRTfan
cool

Those are some interesting one man mini tents/sleeping bags.... never seen that before.

Any info on them, who makes them etc. They look like an interesting option if packing light.
Swags:

http://www.google.com/images?client=...ed=0CD8QsAQwAw
Old 05-11-2010, 06:16 AM   #9
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,571
Nice little jaunt, eh! Fantastic mix of sealed and unsealed.

We did much the same for 2 days of the Cancer Council Relay - but I've not written the rr yet.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCray
Nice little jaunt, eh! Fantastic mix of sealed and unsealed.

We did much the same for 2 days of the Cancer Council Relay - but I've not written the rr yet.
Slack bugger! Hurry up, I'm waiting for that one!
hunter_greyghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
havafati OP
Yassdafarian

Biker Swags

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSPRTfan
cool

Hey mate soory for the late response. They are OzTrail Biker Swags. They are made in Brisbane Australia.

Example
Old 07-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #12
havafati OP
Yassdafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo
Mate, great ride report........ and it's big

Have been up that way alot over the last 2 years, like what you did at Geehi.

If you get back up that way again; I'd recommend spending a few hours and have a look around Guthega and Charlottes Pass.... sensational

Here are a couple of pics, of what you missed.

Sorry for hijacking your RR...... but great job!

Nice. Will definitely be heading that way again.