Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #16
Laros OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
The long ferry was interesting. Bikes go to the front of the line - love it! First on and first off.

My I phone can send out your gps location to any email address. This was useful so that our loved ones at home could know where we were every night. I could not help sending one from the ferry after we were about an hour from shore - no land in sight in any direction.

Harleys, Harleys everywhere we went:

Once on shore again we had to stop for gas. Look who shows up:

There were some bad looking dudes in this area, but this guy was happy to oblige us with a picture. I told this guy I thought his rims were awesome, "ya, 24 inches, man" Wow, I said. He says: "we jus gettin' stawted".

After this Dyno's gps, set to the smallest roads possible, takes us to a military base. Road blocked, mean looking military guy with a machine gun standing there. We stopped at the side of the road, checking maps to see how to get around this base. We'd have to go back hours the way we came. Shit. Shakey tells me to go ask the Military guy if we can go through. I ride up, explain that we have to get to the other side of the base, and it is a long way around - can't we please go through? Yep, he says, show me your i.d. and I can let you go. Beautiful, I show him my passport and said the other two guys are with me as well, and pull up a little. The other two guys don't know what is going on, (they really did not think we'd be allowed through), so I waved at them to come. Just then a car was also pulling up, thought I was waving him through. The military guy did not like that!! Jumped in front of the car, reaching for his gun. Oops, sorry buddy!!

I had seen Pedestrian crossing, or even Moose crossing signs before, but never a Tank Crossing sign!

Canucks Exploring Nicaragua
James Bay 2009
The Heart of Algonquin Park 2010
Outerbanks and The Smokies
Laros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #17
Laros OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We stayed at a KOA in Myrtle Beach that night.

There were signs everywhere welcoming bikers for bike week. We hardly saw any bikes, but thought it was nice for everyone to be welcoming us.

At dinner that night we asked our waiter what was going on. He told us that all the bikers were going to the various bike weeks everywhere, except in Myrtle Beach. Bike week in Myrtle Beach was being boycotted because the police were enforcing the helmet laws. Sounded kind of lame to me.

The next day we headed for Charleston, SC.

Charleston is a beautiful old City that has been preserved. No high rise buildings here.

Battery Park -

Shakey put Charelston on the route because he wanted to see the Spanish Moss. It is pretty cool:

On the road again. We were headed back north for the mountains. In a way this was kind of sad because it represented the most southerly part of our trip, and we were now headed back toward home:

James Bay 2009
Old 06-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #18
Laros OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We hit the Interstates to try to get to Greenville for the night.
We might have been cruising a "little" over the speed limit for many hours. We stopped for gas before Greenville and said we should start looking for a place to stop - we were tired and it was getting late. As we are discussing this we see a sign for a family campground 1 mile away. We quickly assessed the situation: we can get beer at the gas station we were at, they had canned food, and we could hop back on the interstate first thing in the morning. Done.

The campground was fine.

It was called the Magnolia campground - there was one magnolia tree which looked like it was planted when the park owner realized he needed a marketing image to get people to his campground. So he planted a magnolia tree and that was his marketing campaign. There really wasn't much else to use:

Just after we had set up, a guy wonders over. Nice guy. Talks just like Larry the Cable Guy. He goes on and on. I was debating offering him a beer: I could tell he wanted one, but also that the other guys had heard enough of his stories, and a beer would make him stay longer. He did give us a few laughs, and shared a LOT of information.

He was living in a trailer with his wife and 2 kids because he lost his job and could no longer afford his mortgage. The whole mortgage fiasco had hurt him bad. His payments were now $1,500 a month, and he can't sell his house because the market is so bad, so he rents it out for $700. He homeschools his one kid, his wife works in a "travel job" and his other kid goes to a local school. You could understand why it was good for him to have someone else to talk to.

But then he went into a what seemed like a Larry the Cable Guy skit. We asked him where we should get some breakfast in the morning. He mentioned one chain restaraunt close by, but he said "y'all don wanna go thar - that place'll make ya go poo. When you go to a ______ anywhere, man, y'all better be lookin' for the facilities before y'all order yer food. If ya don, and you get on yer bike, man, y'all gonna make a mess of your bike!"

After Bubba left, we had a few laughs and said good night.

In the morning we were up at 7, and ate some canned fruit we had bought at the gas station the night before. Bubba blasts by in his pick up truck, shouting something about us sleeping in. In 1/2 an hour he is back, hops out of his truck and says "Now, I knows y'all don like grits, so I wen' and picked up some eggs and I got some sausages in the trailer. I'll fry y'all up a good breakfast." We said no thanks, we have to hit the road. He looks real disappointed and says "now, y'all gotta eat, don't ya?". I told him thanks, but we already had some canned fruit. "Oh, man, ya don eat breakfast outta can- that's fer dinner!". We again said thanks, but we had to go.

We all felt bad about that later. The poor guy has so little money, but went out to buy us what he thought we would want for breakfast and offered to make it for us. Southern folk really are very friendly - we would discover that more often in the next few days. We acted like up tight city folk.

James Bay 2009
Old 06-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #19
Shakeyhands
Goober

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrjr
If you want sea food try Barefoot Bernie's Tropical Grill & Bar
NOW you tell us.........

KTM 990 ADV

Honda XR650L
Shakeyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #20
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeyhands
NOW you tell us.........
Should of wrote as you went.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #21
Shakeyhands
Goober

Actually, isn't that where we ended up guys? fish tacos????

KTM 990 ADV

Honda XR650L
Old 06-03-2010, 04:39 AM   #22
Dyno
TT's fake Noob

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Actually, isn't that where we ended up guys? fish tacos????
Yup.

http://www.barefootbernies.com/dinner.pdf

Seriously great fish tacos.
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #23
Rudi G
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Hi guys. We met by the side of that curve where the two guys are looking down the bank at a wounded KLR650. You guys were great! You certainly weren't "up tight city folk" that day or we would never have gotten the bike back up the bank. I'm Rudi G on this forum, and was the one down the hill with Jim tying the straps to the KLR so the rest of you could pull it up. Me, and the two guys riding with me that, day are eagerly awaiting the big moment on your ride report. We put the KLR back together with zip ties and Gorilla duct tape, and the rider was able to spend the next three days enjoying the Blue Ridge Parkway and the roads in North Georgia like nothing happened at all!
Thanks again, canucks, you are welcome down south anytime.
Rudi G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #24
Dyno
TT's fake Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi G
Hi guys. We met by the side of that curve where the two guys are looking down the bank at a wounded KLR650. You guys were great! You certainly weren't "up tight city folk" that day or we would never have gotten the bike back up the bank. I'm Rudi G on this forum, and was the one down the hill with Jim tying the straps to the KLR so the rest of you could pull it up. Me, and the two guys riding with me that, day are eagerly awaiting the big moment on your ride report. We put the KLR back together with zip ties and Gorilla duct tape, and the rider was able to spend the next three days enjoying the Blue Ridge Parkway and the roads in North Georgia like nothing happened at all!
Thanks again, canucks, you are welcome down south anytime.
Say hi to Jim for me. Any questions I had about the new style KLR's being too Fragile have now been erased!

Dave
Old 06-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #25
Laros OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We left the Magnolia campground and headed for the mountians. We ended up in Highland for lunch. It was really surreal how we were riding for hours past very "modest" homes and small farms, and it seemed we turned a corner into a VERY upscale town. Very expensive looking homes and hotels, and lots of cutesy little stores that sell stuff at 3 times the Walmart prices.

Yes, that's a Masserati in front of the hotel. No Holiday Inn Express in this town.

Lots of teenagers with expensive looking haircuts, yaking on their cell phones. A whole different world than a few miles back.

We HAD to have an "extreme chocalate" ice cream after lunch.

Back on the road. Hmmm, this sign is pointing to some good stuff.

Well there was GREAT riding from here.

Mountains, streams, AWESOME!!

We were all getting into this BIG time. The riding was spirited, and as the roads got twistier and mnore fun, I started thinking that maybe I should slow down a little. There were huge drop offs beside the road, and the corners were getting sharper, and the elevations changes more wild.

As I am pondering these things, I see a guy standing beside the road. I assume he has stopped to take a picture, and I stay focussed on the curve coming up. But Dyno stops and turns around to talk to the guy. I pull over and quickly learn that the rider lost control coming around the curve, slid on the gravel shoulder and bailed from his bike. Thankfully he stayed on the shoulder as his bike plummeted over the edge. After confirming that he was okay, I asked if I could take a picture.

If you look closely, you can see the tailight still lit. It was about 30' straight down the hill. I could not see how we would get it back up again.

Shortly after we stopped, more riders stopped. Then the people this guy was riding with came back to find him. Dyno had lots of straps with him (he is a GREAT guy to ride with - he has tools and supplies with him for any event). By the time we had the straps down at the bike, there were lots of people to help us pull the bike back up the hill.

And here is the wounded but rescued KLR: Some broken plastic and mirrors, but it fired right up. As you read in the previous post, the rider went on to enjoy a few more days of riding through the mountains.

We all said afterwards that we were very happy the rider was not hurt, but that this was a reminder to us to take it easy and stay focussed.

James Bay 2009
Old 06-06-2010, 07:21 AM   #26
Dyno
TT's fake Noob

I wish I had a picture of the initial moment:

Wailin' down a mountain road, scanning the next blind uphill decreasing radius, clear the guy staring down the hill, roll on the brakes, stay out, .......SHIT! The dude had a helmet on. Where's the bike? What was he looking at down the hill? Body-english was pretty forlorn.....

Turns out that you can hold your body in such a fashion that it will convey to somebody in just a glance that you lost your motorcycle over the side of a big hill and you are very sad about it!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #27
E-man
4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer: 9,250
Very nice report
Question though, the small upscale town of Highland? WHere is that?
We are coming down to the south {N. Carolina, onto Florida} next week and that looks like a nice stop over
E.O.W. 12-06-09 Officer Crawshaw
E.O.W. 10-12-11 Derek Kotecki
E-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #28
Shakeyhands
Goober

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-man
Very nice report
Question though, the small upscale town of Highland? WHere is that?
We are coming down to the south {N. Carolina, onto Florida} next week and that looks like a nice stop over
It's actually Highlands NC, not GA, for some reason I thought we were in GA still, but then again, I was lost after we hit Buffalo NY!! Beautiful place, and I heartily recommend the little sandwich shop in the middle of town, S 4th/Main St, right across the street from the Old Edwards Inn.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...27616&t=h&z=16

KTM 990 ADV

Honda XR650L
Old 06-08-2010, 06:42 AM   #29
E-man
4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer: 9,250
Quote:
It's actually Highlands NC, not GA, for some reason I thought we were in GA still, but then again, I was lost after we hit Buffalo NY!! Beautiful place, and I heartily recommend the little sandwich shop in the middle of town, S 4th/Main St, right across the street from the Old Edwards Inn.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...27616&t=h&z=16
Thanks, beautiful town but slightly to the west of where we are going
E.O.W. 12-06-09 Officer Crawshaw
E.O.W. 10-12-11 Derek Kotecki
E-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #30
Laros OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That first day riding threw the Smokie Mountains was an absolute blast. All 3 of said at the end of the day that it was probably the best day of riding we had ever had. More pictures on that in a moment.

I forgot to mention that the day before, as we left Charleston, SC, we visited an old plantation. We thought it was important to experience this, as this period was an important part of American history, with the slave trade, and the subsequent civil war.

The house was beautiful, and had been lovingly restored and all by some trust fund that was set up to look after it.

Our tour guide talked a lot about the features of the house, and how generous the family was to donate it to this trust fund. Noticably absent from her talk was any discussion about the cruelty of slavery, how innocent people were ripped from their families and villages and forced to work or be whipped in order to make the owners of this house rich. I had just finished reading The Book of Negroes - and I highly recommend it - but the images from the book haunted me as I heard the tour guide talk with such admiration about the family who used to run this place.

Okay, sorry for that interlude, let's get back to the Smokies!

Do you see the stream coming down the mountain?

No? Well, let me zoom in a little for you:

Nice, eh? The scenery was breathtaking. The riding was even better!!!

We came across this road called the "Winding Staircase". You KNOW we had to check that out. It did not disappoint.

Steep cliffs up on one side and steep cliffs down on the other. We couldn't help noticing that we were each riding pretty close to one side of the road - and it was NOT the side that if you made a wrong move you were going straight down. Pulling the KLR bike up was one thing - Dyno and Shakey said that if my bike went over they were not even going to try to help me get the heavy pig back up.

James Bay 2009