User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #181
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,809
Good Morning.

Thanks for getting back - I'm writing emails with Hattech right now and it doesn't seem that they are making a model for the 2010. Clarification is still open on that (whether they have no version for 2010 or whether they have no version for the 2010 with EG ABE - basically a legal version).

I never heard back from my inquiries with Keihan. And I haven't heard about the MM either. That's all not very encouraging on the exhaust side so far.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #182
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Oddometer: 202
Wink Super Tenere Group Buy

Just wanted to give you S10 guys a heads up. Over on the Yamaha Super Tenere forum, we're offering a group buy special. Check out the thread for more details.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #183
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micatech View Post
2) It was a bit tricky to take the shot from above... Not sure it shows the detail you're looking for. It's one of those things that's best to see/touch in person. Ya know?

3) Here's another angle showing just a little more about that area between the bag, seat, muffler, wheel, etc.
So, looking at these photos and looking at this:

and

with the information that the exhaust is just slightly wider than the turn signal, I doubt it will fit with the Pilot mounting system. With a 1cm spacer between the mount point on the case and the case itself (basically, the mounts on the case with a "higher base") it might fit, though.

The exhaust in the photo is a Metal Mule and it seems to be the only one available for a 2010 R1200GS - and it's the only one where I actually was successful in getting info about!

Any ideas whether it might be possible to make it fit?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #184
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

V-Pilot Exhaust Clearance Measurements

Hey Cug,

Here's some photos of the V-Pilot setup. We did our best to accurately show/measure the gap.

Distance from front tab to inside of bag.

Distance from frame to inside of bag (shot from the front of the bike).

Distance from wheel to inside of bag (shot from the rear of the bike).

The inside of the box just clears the turn signal.

I don't think that gives you any definite answers, unfortunately. Let us know what you think. We're happy to help where we can.

Micatech screwed with this post 01-25-2011 at 11:44 AM
Micatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #185
cug
--

Quote:
I don't think that gives you any definite answers, unfortunately. Let us know what you think. We're happy to help where we can.
Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it. I think you are right - with some wiggling it might be possible to make it work, it might also not work. It's hard to say without having the exhaust installed and then trying the cases.

For now that means for me, that I continue to use soft luggage as my wife would kill me if I order two things that I would like as a combination but wouldn't buy each on its own. Just can't justify ordering both for the experiment - the risk that it doesn't work is too high.

One more question remaining: does your exhaust lowering kit work with a 2010 R1200GS? Couldn't find an answer ...
Old 01-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #186
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,532
Laugh You want what????

Hi,

I'm considering the V2 bags for an F800GS application (farkle-planning prior to bike purchase).

The question I have might be more of a question for the mount manufacturer, but I figured I'd start here.

If the F8 had a Metal Mule or other narrower exhaust is there/could there be a way to use a left-side mount that would benefit from the closer spacing available?

This might get things close enough to consider the wide bags on both sides, instead of the narrow to the left, to achieve a balanced look/load.

On another note, has there been any speculation toward making a set that fits the F8 with an exhaust cutout, like the Pilots close fit on the 1200? That would be schweet! Though probably not practical from a manufacturer's point of view.

Thanks!

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #187
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
One more question remaining: does your exhaust lowering kit work with a 2010 R1200GS? Couldn't find an answer ...
We have it on our '09. So we're confident it'll fit '08s and '09s. We're going to try to instal on a friend's '10. We'll let you know.

Thanks again for your interest!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #188
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Hi,

I'm considering the V2 bags for an F800GS application (farkle-planning prior to bike purchase).

The question I have might be more of a question for the mount manufacturer, but I figured I'd start here.

If the F8 had a Metal Mule or other narrower exhaust is there/could there be a way to use a left-side mount that would benefit from the closer spacing available?

This might get things close enough to consider the wide bags on both sides, instead of the narrow to the left, to achieve a balanced look/load.

On another note, has there been any speculation toward making a set that fits the F8 with an exhaust cutout, like the Pilots close fit on the 1200? That would be schweet! Though probably not practical from a manufacturer's point of view.

Thanks!
Hey Tex,

Thanks for checking out the V2s. We think you'll really dig them.

Good thinking on the rack - best to check with SW-Motech (Twisted Throttle is the US distributor). You could always get ambitious with a sawzall and welder

And, yes. There has been speculation for using the Pilot mounting system on other bikes. A nearly invisible mounting system, large volume, and narrow width. No plans yet, but there's plenty of speculation
Old 01-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #189
cug
--

Quote:
We have it on our '09. So we're confident it'll fit '08s and '09s. We're going to try to instal on a friend's '10. We'll let you know.

Thanks again for your interest!
Thanks for checking this! And my interest is still very much alive - I just don't know how a good way to find out whether the pieces will fit together.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:29 AM   #190
cug
--

Quote:
1) Shot from the rear about 10 feet back. Zoomed in slightly so you don't get the distorted "wide angle" lens look.
I never asked: are those 8" or 10" cases?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:14 AM   #191
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Quote:
I never asked: are those 8" or 10" cases?
Both are 8" cases.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #192
cug
--

Quote:
Both are 8" cases.
Ah, I thought so. Okay, I guess, once you have a price and it works with the 2010 model, I'm in for a set. Just discussing with myself and my wife whether to get 8" or 10". Trying to gauge the size difference in "real world load" and optics. The picture above looks very balanced and about the right size ...
Old 01-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #193
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,469
Quote:
Ah, I thought so. Okay, I guess, once you have a price and it works with the 2010 model, I'm in for a set. Just discussing with myself and my wife whether to get 8" or 10". Trying to gauge the size difference in "real world load" and optics. The picture above looks very balanced and about the right size ...

I have an 8"..10" combination on my F 650 GS, the 8" is a bit down on storage space but I had no choice with my exhaust system. On an R 1200 GS you really might want to give a thought to the 10" set, especially if your wife rides with you.

Just my $.02
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #194
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP View Post
I have an 8"..10" combination on my F 650 GS, the 8" is a bit down on storage space but I had no choice with my exhaust system. On an R 1200 GS you really might want to give a thought to the 10" set, especially if your wife rides with you.

Just my $.02
My wife told me to get the 8" ...

We also have a 46L topcase and if we are together on a single bike we'll probably not go camping but will do "moteling". She rides herself, so when we want to go on longer trips that include camping she will be on her own bike and I will take the top case off and replace it with an Ortlieb duffle and a small Ortlieb roll for the camping gear.

Still thinking about it ...
Old 01-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #195
ironmorph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Group Buy! Save $75.00

Be sure to send me your name, number , and email addy so that I can include on this group buy. It ends 2/28/2011. You can buy any 2 bags for any bike application. The entire group buy info can be found @;

www.yamahasupertenere.com

leave me a PM and I will get back to you when we reach 10 names.

Clem
ironmorph is offline   Reply With Quote