Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2011, 06:41 AM   #226
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
I have a couple of questions;
First, I'd like to carry fuel and water on the back of my Pilot Cases in 1 gal Rotopax cans. Do you advise against this? Should I use a backing plate for the mounting brackets? How about the bracket extenders, that hold a second 1 gal can? (total weight for brackets and 2 gal would be about 25 lbs)

And the secone question. When ordering Roof Racks, what would look better, black like the box or grey like the doors?
We've never mounted the Rotopax containers to Micatech cases but we've seen plenty of other auxiliary bottles mounted to them. It looks as though the Rotopax comes with a backing plate. We'd certainly recommend using it. Maybe it's overkill, but better safe than sorry and it takes up no extra space.

Mounting 2 containers on each bracket will be heavy - 25 lbs you say. Definitely use a backing plate if you plan to go this route. It should be fine if you're riding on the tarmac. Riding on a rough dirt road will put it to the test. As you know, Micatech panniers are very rugged. However, this hasn't been tested before on our cases so we're not sure what advice to give. Please share some photos when you have it all mounted up.

As for the Roof Racks: Both would be a fine choice. Silver would look nice to match your doors. Most people go with black to match the case (although most don't have the 2-color case/door combination). Hope that helps.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #227
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Save $75 on a set of Micatech Luggage for your new 2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC!

Save $75 on a set of Micatech Luggage for your new 2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC!

The Promotion:
Buy any pair of Micatech V2 panniers and a set of SW-Motech Side Carriers and we'll knock $75 off your entire purchase. Better yet, Starting in 2011 we removed the middleman distribution and decided to sell directly from our shop. By doing so we gave nearly $200 in savings directly to our customers! You won't find any other panniers that match Micatech quality and durability at such a low price.

The Images:
Keep in mind, we don't have a bike to play around with yet so we made some simple photoshopped images to visualize the 8" V2s on the new Tiger.

Actual Side Carriers from SW-Motech

The Price:
$875 (Retail $950): Pair of 8" V2s (includes SW-Motech Side Carriers and all mounting hardware)
$895 (Retail $970): One 8" and one 10" V2 (includes SW-Motech Side Carriers and all mounting hardware)
$915 (Retail $990): Pair of 10" V2s (includes SW-Motech Side Carriers and all mounting hardware)

The V2 Details:
Micatech V2 Cases are functional, practical and can take a pounding on the road! They feature the same rugged, top quality materials and workmanship of our larger Pilot Cases and they are adjustable! The special 4-way bracket adjusts the cases to accommodate your passenger, your riding style and your load. Perfect for solo and 2up riding.

The V2 Cases are semi-side loading, with a deep well so that gear doesn’t fall out when you open the door. The advantage of side loaders is that gear strapped to the top of the case doesn’t have to be removed to access the contents. Our special handles allow a variety of straps to be completely looped through to tie gear down to the top. The design of the locking door and weatherproofing gasket keep water, dust, mud, sand and thieves out of your cases.

The V2 Cases mount to black, powder-coated, tubular steel side carriers. The Quick-Lock EVO carrier is the next generation of luggage carrier by SW-MOTECH, with a more robust design and an even narrower profile. The carriers can be removed from the bike in less than 30 seconds without special tools by opening 3 or 4 quick-release fasteners on each side.

3 color options are available. Black, Vein and Silver. Simply add $25 if you'd like two-tone doors/cases.

The Fine Print:
Cannot be combined with other offers.
Offer is only valid for the 2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC.
Offer valid for a pair of 8" (37L) Cases, a pair of 10" (45L) Cases, or one 8" (37L) and one 10" (45L) Case. Note: the SW-Motech racks are offset towards the exhaust (right) side.
Orders must be placed by April 30th, 2011.
Use coupon code "tiger" when placing your order by telephone (603.464.6400) or online (http://shop.micatech.net)
Product will ship at the end of April (when SW-Motech racks are available in the US).
Product will be shipped in 3 boxes (left case, right case, racks).
Any additional accessories will be packaged inside one of the 3 boxes to save you money on shipping charges.
If you're local to our shop in New Hampshire, we welcome you to visit our shop, see where we make the luggage and pick them up to save on shipping charges.

Feel free to shoot over any questions and we'll do our best to fill you in.

Micatech screwed with this post 03-22-2011 at 10:59 AM
Micatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #228
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Laugh Better late than never!

Hey Cug,

We found it! Here's a shot of a 1200GS running an aftermarket Hattech Exhaust. You'll notice he's got the standard Pilot Mounting System and a custom Full Size Left Case (no exhaust cutout). The stock BMW Muffler is just too fat to fit in that space but the Hattech double squeaks in just fine.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #229
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micatech View Post
Hey Cug,

We found it! Here's a shot of a 1200GS running an aftermarket Hattech Exhaust. You'll notice he's got the standard Pilot Mounting System and a custom Full Size Left Case (no exhaust cutout). The stock BMW Muffler is just too fat to fit in that space but the Hattech double squeaks in just fine.

I had seen that picture before ... it looks huuuuuuuge. Misses the "wide load" sticker ...

But I really love the option of two same sized cases. My Hattech exhaust is somewhere between Germany and the US ... since 8 days now after it took about 4 weeks to get it build due to too many motorcycle shows in Germany in the last months. I really hope it will arrive in the country soon. Then I'll install and as soon as all is verified to fit and be good, will order panniers (still hoping for you guys to come out with 9" V2 ... )
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #230
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I had seen that picture before ... it looks huuuuuuuge. Misses the "wide load" sticker ...

But I really love the option of two same sized cases. My Hattech exhaust is somewhere between Germany and the US ... since 8 days now after it took about 4 weeks to get it build due to too many motorcycle shows in Germany in the last months. I really hope it will arrive in the country soon. Then I'll install and as soon as all is verified to fit and be good, will order panniers (still hoping for you guys to come out with 9" V2 ... )
Awesome. Be sure to share some photos when you get it all together!

You know how they say the camera adds 10 pounds?... Ya, the pilot cases are SPACIOUS. But it's usually less "apple bottomed" than most pictures make it seem. When you take a photo with a standard point and shoot zoomed out (read: wide lens) it really adds to her hips. Nevertheless, we're really excited for the V-Pilots to get some narrow cases on a bombproof mounting system.

Here's another we just found:

Old 03-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #231
cug
--

Quote:
Awesome. Be sure to share some photos when you get it all together!
I will certainly do that! Also planning noise measurements and some more details.

Quote:
You know how they say the camera adds 10 pounds?
Yeah, and the picture looks like it was taken from fairly close with a wide angle lens. You can see quite some from the back of the cases (meaning the part towards the bike) which means the camera was close and zoomed out. I like the pilots for the form but I think the V2 will be a better choice for me for size / width.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #232
pgenera
telephone hero

Oddometer: 21
Where to find rear signal bulbs for the 1150.

I put about 900 miles on my new micatechs last Saturday, and it was completely uneventful other than blowing a turn signal bulb. Only problem is I had a hell of a time finding a replacement for the tiny little bulb in the stumpy turn signal that comes with the cases.

To save everyone else the trouble, its an H21 21 watt halogen, with a bay9s base. H6 (same size, 6 watt) was easy to find. H21, not so much. I went to five or so auto parts stores in Seattle without any luck. I eventually discovered its used as a front turn signal light in the first-generation Audi TT - armed with an Audi part number, I found the lamp (for eighteen bloody dollars) at the VW dealership.

For future reference:
Audi/VW part #: N 104 456 01
Osram 64132
Philips 12357(LL)
Norva 68161 or 68162
pgenera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #233
PhotoBiker
Please insert title here

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I will certainly do that! Also planning noise measurements and some more details.

Yeah, and the picture looks like it was taken from fairly close with a wide angle lens. You can see quite some from the back of the cases (meaning the part towards the bike) which means the camera was close and zoomed out. I like the pilots for the form but I think the V2 will be a better choice for me for size / width.
Cug, did you opt to NOT use the lowering kit to lower your OEM muffler or did you find out that it wouldn't work on the 2010 with the Exhaust Flap?

I am very interested. I was trying to get out to see Bob back in Feb, but the weather, work, and family didn't cooperate with me. I'm interested in either the V2s or the Pilots, but with my exhaust lowered, I want full use of the left bag. When I tour with my daughters or wife, I don't want to be the schmuck who gets the smaller bag ;-)
'06 Ninja 250
Check out my Gallery
PhotoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #234
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoBiker View Post
Cug, did you opt to NOT use the lowering kit to lower your OEM muffler or did you find out that it wouldn't work on the 2010 with the Exhaust Flap?
I am unclear if the lowering kit would fit but I think it will need some slight changes to work with the Camheads with exhaust flap.

I mainly ordered the Hattech exhaust as I mostly ride without side cases and really didn't want the look of the lowered exhaust. But I use cases regularly enough to not wanting to go back and forth between non-lowered and lowered exhaust.

As I said somewhere higher up I haven't ordered my cases yet as the exhaust is still on the way from Germany (takes a while) and I want to see it installed first.

Quote:
I am very interested. I was trying to get out to see Bob back in Feb, but the weather, work, and family didn't cooperate with me. I'm interested in either the V2s or the Pilots, but with my exhaust lowered, I want full use of the left bag. When I tour with my daughters or wife, I don't want to be the schmuck who gets the smaller bag ;-)
Same here. First of all, I like small and narrow cases. But small and narrow cases with an exhaust cut-out make the left side case useless. A lowered exhaust is definitely the more reasonably priced option but that wasn't too big a concern for me. I wanted nice looks and a full sized left case.

As soon as I have the exhaust installed I will put up more information here. And as soon as I get cases I will post more photos of course.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:27 AM   #235
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Quote:

Hi PhotoBiker,

We have a friend going to try and instal the Exhaust Lowering Kit on his 2010 (ours is a 2009). Check back in a week or so and we'll post an update on to let you know if it fits.

Also, the full size Pilot Case is 52 Liters. While the exhaust cutout left case is still a spacious 50 liters. Plenty of room for supplies, clothes, beer, gear, tents, and all your traveling goodies.

And certainly, with the snow melting, ride on down to our shop and say hello
Old 03-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #236
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,278
Tough as nail....2nd to none!

Abenteuerfahrer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #237
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Tough as nail....2nd to none!

Whoah! What a great shot! Let's hear the story!
Old 04-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #238
King Chicken
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Hey all, I've been hemming and hawing all winter and have decided to jump on a set of Micatechs for my '10KLR. I was thinking the 10" V2s but I'm worried they'll be wider than my handlebars. Is this a valid concern?

Other than that, I expect to be calling for my order in a day or two. Anything I should know about my bike for that phone call? You guys are on EST, right?

Also, if I purchase the reflectguard can I get it put on "at the factory" as it were? I'm not as confident putting that sticker on as I should be.

Thanks for the future replies
King Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #239
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Chicken View Post
Hey all, I've been hemming and hawing all winter and have decided to jump on a set of Micatechs for my '10KLR. I was thinking the 10" V2s but I'm worried they'll be wider than my handlebars. Is this a valid concern?

Other than that, I expect to be calling for my order in a day or two. Anything I should know about my bike for that phone call? You guys are on EST, right?

Also, if I purchase the reflectguard can I get it put on "at the factory" as it were? I'm not as confident putting that sticker on as I should be.

Thanks for the future replies
Hey Chicken King, err... King Chicken

Glad you're digging the V2 Cases! We're not sure about the overall width of the second generation KLR. We've put in a request to SW-Motech for the information and will let you know what we find. Your concern is valid. The narrower the better but it's not usually a major concern - unless you have garage parking issues, lane split, are concerned that your butt looks big, etc. The 8" cases are great for solo travel while a set of 10" is nice if you pack heavy and/or are riding 2up.

We can factory instal the ReflectGard for you at no additional charge. Just let us know when you place your order (leave a note in the comment box if you order online). Otherwise, give us a call from 9-5 EST.

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #240
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Any options for the Multistrada 1200? I know SW motech offers racks.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote