Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #121
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,541
So will I be able to buy the new version bags and still use the mounting hardware that I have now? Also Im assuming that you will be selling the exhaust lowering kit as well?
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #122
suecanada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Micatechs on a Triumph Bonneville SE?...Holy Cow!!

So how about a Bonneville as an adventure bike all suited up with the V2 Micatechs? Any bike can be made into an adventure bike or at least a long distance tourer. I was not happy with soft luggage as it looked too saggy. In 2008 I had gone down to Micatech in Hillsboro to show then my new F650GS twin and liked their cases a lot. A girl needs lots of luggage space for her stuff!! So I pre-ordered a set of the 8" V2s and arranged for mounting in Hillsboro at Bob and Sue's shop after the RA this past summer. Bob worked very diligently to make sure the cases went on OK considering this was an oddball fitment. He had to work around the Givi rack made specially for the Bonnie by Norman Hyde in the UK and a Hepco Becker rear rack which I wanted to keep. He used the SW Motech adapter plate and had to relocate the rear turnsignals which still need a bit of tweaking as you will see in the pics. The signals are in a good location safety-wise but look weird. I am working on alternative locations. Even got some flush mount turn signals that may be able to go on the back of the Micatechs. Other options are in the works. Also, want to be able to mount cute small ABS bags that look great with my other 1/4 cafe fairing for the bike for those just-around-town beauty pageants!! So I have some work to do. What do you think so far?:
[IMG]bogiespics.smugmug.com[/IMG]

suecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #123
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostryder
So will I be able to buy the new version bags and still use the mounting hardware that I have now? Also Im assuming that you will be selling the exhaust lowering kit as well?
I assume you're referring to going from the Pilots to the V-Pilots? The V-Pilots will share the same two upper bullets/mounts. The rear crossbar and the foot peg extensions are modified.

Yes, we are making the exhaust lowering kit in house and will sell it as a set with the V-Pilot system.

Clear as mud? Drop a line if more info is needed.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #124
suecanada
Adventurer

Did this work OK?

Have no idea if anyone can see the pics though. Does it just come up with the URL and that's it? How do you guys get the picture to show up? Maybe just attaching a pic takes up too much Advrider space?

Just wanted to add that I have the roof racks now, not mounted, but will be. Those slots in the rack are ideal for mounting a Kolpin fuel pak cell as the slot accommodates the 1/4 turn mounting bracket that comes with the Kolpins. Only need to skim off a tiny bit of metal from the roof rack's two outside feet. Don't forget to protect the new cut surface so it doesn't rust! Just an idea..might never do it but....someone might?!

Anybody other than me want to place their rally cup in the cup holders? Most of my collection are too big around to fit. Just a fraction too big. Obviously, the holes fit beer cans though!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #125
suecanada
Adventurer

Micatech has pics too of the Bonnie with the cases!

I see Micatech is on line here. Hey, Bob, can you upload some of the shots of the Bonnie you took outside your shop?
Old 11-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #126
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suecanada
So how about a Bonneville as an adventure bike all suited up with the V2 Micatechs? What do you think so far?:
Looking good!

Quote:
I see Micatech is on line here. Hey, Bob, can you upload some of the shots of the Bonnie you took outside your shop?
Certainly, we'll get it up next week when we get back to the office.

Quote:
Anybody other than me want to place their rally cup in the cup holders? Most of my collection are too big around to fit. Just a fraction too big. Obviously, the holes fit beer cans though!
Good idea. We'll look into increasing the cup holder diameter.

Happy throttling
Old 11-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #127
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,249
Which mounting system will you be using for these panniers? Will the lids be attached ? Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micatech
We get lots of feedback from riders and we really appreciate it - so keep it coming! We've heard time and time again about the desire for a low cost pannier. Metal fabrication is what we do here so we're looking into the idea. Here's the prototype Fun Bags. Testing is coming soon and pricing is in the works. Let us know what you think.

3/4 view

3/4 view with lid removed

Side view
Old 11-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #128
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Which mounting system will you be using for these panniers? Will the lids be attached ? Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
These prototypes will have a dual latch to secure the lid. So, they will be removable. We're looking at options now in order to keep costs low.

Initially, for our internal testing, we're going to use the same mounting system as the V2s. These will mount to any SW-Motech rack.

It's yet to be determined for production. We might consider selling them without a mounting system to accommodate the do-it-yourselfer or for the rider who already has a set of tubular racks and wants to keep costs low. Alternatively, we may look into building a mounting system in-house for some of the popular bike models. It's still very early in the process. What do the riders think? What are you looking for?
Old 11-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #129
suecanada
Adventurer

Airhead Luggage racks

Bob, those new prototype cases you say might be good for a DIY with their own racks. I am wondering about the old airhead racks many of us have with the BMW Classic cases and maybe the Krausers too. That R80GS who showed a few threads back...is it using the old style BMW racks? If it has the old style racks could I someday put the V2's on the R65LS???? Could eliminate the safety luggage strap then!! Those without the V2s already might go for the new prototypes!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:06 AM   #130
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,466
Loaner

Bob,
If you like I can leave my R 80 G/S with you to experiment with different mounts for the stock BMW racks. I'm done with it for the season so you can keep it as long as you need. Let me know.
John
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #131
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micatech
I assume you're referring to going from the Pilots to the V-Pilots? The V-Pilots will share the same two upper bullets/mounts. The rear crossbar and the foot peg extensions are modified.

Yes, we are making the exhaust lowering kit in house and will sell it as a set with the V-Pilot system.

Clear as mud? Drop a line if more info is needed.
Clear as mud!!!! Makes perfect sense. I love my cases and they have been great, but they are a little more than I need, so the smaller version would be perfect.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #132
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Quote:
Bob, those new prototype cases you say might be good for a DIY with their own racks. I am wondering about the old airhead racks many of us have with the BMW Classic cases and maybe the Krausers too. That R80GS who showed a few threads back...is it using the old style BMW racks? If it has the old style racks could I someday put the V2's on the R65LS???? Could eliminate the safety luggage strap then!! Those without the V2s already might go for the new prototypes!
For the R100GS we used Hepco Becker Racks. We think that the BMW racks were brazed (not welded) and are uncertain of their strength.

We're not sure about the R65LS. However, we do know that the Hepco Becker racks are up to the task. We checked the US distributor for Hepco-Becker, Eurotech Motorsports and they list a part number 650.604 00 01 for the R65LS, 1979-1984. We can make it work
Old 11-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #133
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP
Bob,
If you like I can leave my R 80 G/S with you to experiment with different mounts for the stock BMW racks. I'm done with it for the season so you can keep it as long as you need. Let me know.
John
Thanks for the offer, John. We'll let you know if we go that route. No snow yet, so keep on riding!
Old 11-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #134
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Thumb Looking good Sue!

Quote:
New Luggage

Test ride

Road ready!
Old 11-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #135
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Yamaha Super Tenere with Micatecah V2s

Now Ready!

OK, not quite...

We really like the new Yamaha Super Tenere and while we don't yet have bike to play with, we did some quick and dirty work in photoshop to see what it might look like... If you'd like a free set of bags, loan us your Super Tenere when you pick it up in May

Micatech screwed with this post 01-13-2011 at 07:52 AM
Micatech is offline   Reply With Quote