User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
FIIG Rick OP
FAT CHICKS NEED LOVIN TOO

Oddometer: 672
Rudall River

Four of us set off to explore the tracks and trails of the North West of Western Australia, a trip of about 4 - 4,500 klm including Rudall River. The Second Biggest and most remote National Park in Australia. It borders on the Great Sandy Desert and is the least visited park in Australia due to the harshness of the area, and lack of fuel & water. But a great place to ride. I took my GSA, Oly on his X challenge, Dren DR650, Shane on a KTM 640 and John GS 800 (John only joined us for the first 2 days.)

We met up in Southern Cross, had a bad hamburger at the pub and headed off for the dirt in a norherly direction.

First stop, Bulldust hole - I got about 60m into it, then abandoned ship

Whilst I was dusting myself off John came along and did a forward summersault with a halfpike and a twist dissmount and landed gracefully on his head. I gave him a 7 out of 10 for effort.

We both had a good laugh and waited for the other 2 riders, unfortunatly they're a bit smarter than us and just paddled through. Next stop was Mount Elvire station, a disused station where we met Ken who was kind enough to put a BBQ on for us, First night camping -the snoring begins...

Off again in the morning, the access track in was pretty sandy so I thought I'd fall off first up just to wake me up, soft sand and pigs just don't mix,

we headed north again up through station country and tracks, we came across an old truck on the side of the road. After a billy of tea with old Tony from a station down the track who was on his way to water his cattle about 100 k's down the road, he blew a tyre the day before and had camped up overnight. We set to work and fixed an old tube he had, fitted the old tyre, and got him on his way again, he insisted on writing a cheque out, so we got him to make it out to the Royal Flying Doctors Service instead. A classic outback bloke, who thinks the mining comanys are after him, once tracked a bloke down for 3 days and shot him for stealing his wool, and ripped the door off his truck cause he was sick of opening it, Long live people like Tony..

We left tony to trundle off and water his cattle and headed for Sandstone our next fuel stop, only trouble was, no fuel! As we were all running low we had a meeting (Over a few beers at the pub and decided to get to My sisters station, about 100 or so K's away, we ended up sleeping in Donga's at the Shearing quarters, hot showers, cold beer, this is becoming habit forming!

Next day after a bit of KTM servicing and re fueling we headed off up the 'Rabbit Proof Fence'. My brother in law recons he ran a grader over it 6 months ago so it should be pretty good, I must tell him to put the bloody blade down next time! John left us in the morning to head back to Perth for work - Jobs suck hey John.

After a mix of soft sand, rocks and wash outs, I was just starting to think that a fully loaded GSA might be a touch too big and heavy for this stuff. I dropped the tyre pressures down and that improved things alot. We found the Sandstone to Meekathara Road, had a bight to eat and headed for Meekathara for fuel.

We set up camp in the rain, but the bottle of Wild Turkey helped keep our spirits up. It stopped raining in the morning and we headed Northwest again through station country, can't remember the name of the road, but met Allan, who prospects for gold out that way and recons he found 16 ounces last week!! We headed North east towards Newman, had a herd, flock, group?? of Wild Camels to chase for a while, then Oly's X challenge started missing etc, Shane and Dren rode on to the next station and Oly and myself tried to sort out the problem. We ended up towing the X challenge in to the station about 30 odd k's, where Oly found only a battery terminal was the cause of the problems. A nice cuppa and a chat with Joan and we headed for the highway below Newman, a great stretch of road and everyone had a ball, great country.

Things were getting a bit sticky as they had had rain out here a few days prior. This next pic shows the result of hitting a big bog hole at speed and jamming the front guard up with mud on the GSA, not sure BMW thought about Pilbara mud, the front wheel locked up completely. We got as much as we could out with sticks, but not quite enough, as we were clearing the mud we heard the other 2 bikes batteling through the mud further up the track, it was just on dusk so we decided to take another track out.
10 k's down the track the wheel locked again and me and the pig found ourselves rolling around in the mud. Oly spent a good 20 min's scraping the shit out..(Note to self: remove front guard on muddy roads)

After a 130k slog on the black stuff, dodging Kangaroo's we got to Capricorn Roadhouse, where Shane and Dren were waiting, over a Steakburger. We listened as Shane told us he had hit a mud hole and speared off into a tree, a few cuts and bruises, but his knee was sore and he was limping (And sooking) so we headed for Newman to the Caravan Park for the night. After a sleepless night (I hate Van parks), Shane was almost in tears with pain and it looked like he wouldn't be able to continue. He went to the Doc's and we went to grab some more Wild Turkey, the news wasn't good with the knee, but Turkey was on special...Sorry Shane, we did feel sorry for you..a bit. Shane had to pull out, a good move as any further damage could put a stop to the CSR ride in August, and so his brother took him and the bike back to Perth We grabbed his Sat phone and rode off towards Jigalong Aboriginal Community, our last fuel stop for 750klm...

We camped 50 k's shy of Jigalong and got in about 8.30pm, we waited for the workshop to open so we could get fuel, the usual Aboriginal Community dogs were about, trying to scab a pie off us.., Good luck dog. Oly finally got the joke I told him 2 hours ago.

Main street in Jigalong

Off into the wilds travelling East towards Rudall River.

A couple of hundred K's and the turn off to Rudall looms on Oly's GPS, we find an unmarked track which must be the road in?

Part 2 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585143

FIIG Rick screwed with this post 06-07-2010 at 11:01 PM
FIIG Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
WestOzKLX
Elsie with Allspeeds

Oddometer: 869
Keep it comin' Rick. I love this state. WA has the best riding.
I wanna be electrifiiiiiied.....
WestOzKLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:44 AM   #3
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel

Oddometer: 2,297
Looking good so far
to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
tksmith
Another GS Freak

Oddometer: 1,069
Good stuff!!

Hitting F5 'til you post more

Adventure On!!
tksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:14 AM   #5
olyflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Just got me computer back so I'll up load them pics and tell the real stories

how'd you fair after teh front blow out, well I guess you got home, I should have my bike next week

bloody awesome ride and great company oh and we (i) did turn too early for Desert Queen Baths I think we should take maps next time
olyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:29 AM   #6
k0diak
Roaming Hun

Oddometer: 1,022
This is great, I love these sorts of reports and WA is beautiful as always

k0diak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:05 AM   #7
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,968
I love to see pictures of PIGs playing in the mud. At least it wasn't mine.

Great report so far, lovely bit of countryside. Typical of Sandstone to have no fuel.
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:40 AM   #8
DANNOj
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,156
Brilliant Rick!! Way to make a man jealous hey......

Dan

DANNOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:08 AM   #9
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Looks like a lot of fun, keep those pics coming. When is Oly heading off on his trip to the Americas?
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:10 AM   #10
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,806
Mud = which leads to . Only one thing to do when a blokes ride is over... . Got no sympathy from you blokes though.

Good stuff Rick. I'll get some photos up after you've finished yours.

Oly... I had the maps
11 K1600GTL
farcall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:21 AM   #11
olyflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBD
Looks like a lot of fun, keep those pics coming. When is Oly heading off on his trip to the Americas?
Maybe in 3 months as work is pissing me off!!!! I'll just only have 1 year off before I'll have to work if I go now

Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall
Oly... I had the maps
I know! and all the way points on the GPS but made for a good adventure

some pics from my collection

olyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:50 AM   #12
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Only one year off Oly.... will that be enough???? Awesome pics by the way- love that one of the track(?) alongside the Rabbit Proof Fence!
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:00 AM   #13
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,632
Top RR, should be more of this stuff!
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #14
tksmith
Another GS Freak

Oddometer: 1,069
Kudos to the GS Pilot. Well done!!

You other guys did pretty good too

Adventure On!!
tksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:48 AM   #15
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 2,128
Top stuff Richard, looks like a great trip... some of those roads look like a lot of fun. This will have to go on the list of rides to do!
Tenere XT600 34L 1983 classic
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote