User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2004, 05:51 AM   #1
airheadbruce OP
Uncle Dumbshit

Oddometer: 475
2000 Moto Guzzi Qouta

Just got a nice Quota for a very nice end of season price. Anybody else have one and can offer some tips?
Red, Mistral exhaust, K&N, thats all I've discovered so far. O yeah, Showa rear shock, stock looking forks.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:25 AM   #2
cyclecat
half post a day wonder

Oddometer: 1,317
Do a forum search for Quota. Not as much info as for BMW GSs but still several of us have them. I've made a number of modifications to mine such as exhaust mods, crash bars and hand guards, custom GIVI saddlebags, and driving lights. So far I've taken it to Big Bend Natl. Park, the Blue Ridge Parkway, the western Arkansas mountains and another 20,000 miles just farting around.

Photos & mods of my Quota: Here.

Old 11-04-2004, 09:30 AM   #3
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclecat
Do a forum search for Quota. Not as much info as for BMW GSs but still several of us have them. I've made a number of modifications to mine such as exhaust mods, crash bars and hand guards, custom GIVI saddlebags, and driving lights. So far I've taken it to Big Bend Natl. Park, the Blue Ridge Parkway, the western Arkansas mountains and another 20,000 miles just farting around.

Photos & mods of my Quota: Here.

You've got a real nice Quota. How much are those things usually selling for? Also, what do they tip the scales at? Over 450 lbs.?
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:48 AM   #4
cyclecat
half post a day wonder

Thanks.

All steel frame, standard heavy Guzzi engine... it's not light. Over 500 lbs.

I've occasionally seen them in the low $4k range and as high as $6K, but most are around $5K.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:41 AM   #5
cyclecat
half post a day wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperman
Hey Cat, whatchu running for lights? Are those 55w?
Hella FF50 driving lights W/55watt bulbs. I have little need for heated grips or riding gear here in Tejas so I've got plenty of power for the lights. They were real nice to have when riding twisty mountain roads in the dark in both Big Bend and the BRP.

I had to make my own mounting brackets because the flimsy stamped steel ones that came with the lights cracked due to the magnification of vibration out on the ends of my crash bars.

Those lights normally run $70-80 but classicargarage.com was had them on sale for $39 for the pair so I jumped on it.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:09 AM   #6
cyclecat
half post a day wonder

Those whiners on the Yahoo Quota group all think you can't run any kind of accessory lights because the charging system can't handle it. My guess is in combo with some other electricity eaters like heated comforts (gloves/chaps/vests), it can't. But if they are having trouble with lights only, I suspect they aren't revving it up enough.

The Quota makes 350 watts at 4K RPM. You've had plenty of Guzzis. When are you ever under 4K RPM? If you're in stop & go traffic you don't need the lights anyway. If you're on the highway, your prolly pushig 5-6K RPM. Two 55W lights and a 55W headlight is 165 watts total. That leaves me almost 200 watts for everything else, including charging the battery.

If you are in need of some electricity for heated riding gear, you could even swap out the bulbs with some 35W bulbs. They are a little hard to find (as I discovered since they are what I use on my Elefant fog lights), but they're out there.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:34 PM   #7
airheadbruce OP
Uncle Dumbshit

Hey Chopperman....my mistake on the shock, reads sachs not showa..so it is a stocker. Noticed an adjuster on the bottom, prob. rebound adjust?
I'm going through it pretty good now, noticed leaking fuel hoses. 1/2" hose from the petcocks to a tee. Read that it should be 12mm so I'll replace it this weekend. 7.5mm for the other fuel hoses, will replace those also(5/16 now).
I am thinking of getting a power commander, but I have read that the TPS setting is important. Any idea what yours is set at? I want mpg most. An old slow fart like me needs to stay out of trouble.
Gonna do a full tune up this winter. Still riding, no snow yet but temps are cool, lows in the high 20's.
Got a nice aftermarket seat on it, very comfortable. Need to work on a higher/wider windshield though. Any suggestions?
Old 11-05-2004, 05:07 AM   #8
JoeKher
Third world or bust!

Oddometer: 162
Congrats on the Quota!!

Any electrical questions you have try asking john at powerlet products. He is in the business of hooking stuff to bikes and he is an electronic eng.

To tune that bike right make sure you find a good guzzi dealer who cares about the bikes. I'm lucky that one of the good dealers is around the corner from me. I spend a lot of time there and you would be amazed at how many Guzzis come in from other dealers never having been set up correctly. It is a simple thing to do (and they do get paid for it) but many dealers skip or cheat the set up procedures.
Good luck!
JoeKher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 08:50 AM   #9
cyclecat
half post a day wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by airheadbruce
I'm going through it pretty good now, noticed leaking fuel hoses. 1/2" hose from the petcocks to a tee. Read that it should be 12mm so I'll replace it this weekend. 7.5mm for the other fuel hoses, will replace those also(5/16 now).
As long as you're going to the trouble, you should go ahead and replace the high pressure hoses from the fuel pump to the injectors too. I had the pressurized T fail on mine and had high pressure fuel spray going all over my hot motor. From what I've heard it was not an isolated incident. The factory T is cheap pot metal and only has the hoses crimped on.

You can get a nice, sturdy brass T-fitting at most auto stores for about $4, the smooth fuel injection hose clamps and about 4 feet of high pressure fuel injection hose and make you own pressurized line. The hoses from the petcocks to the pump are a different diameter but I'm not sure what.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:55 PM   #10
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,255
another quota up here, mines bone ass stock and a better bike then I deserve. lovable lump o' engine,
Old 11-06-2004, 08:16 AM   #11
airheadbruce OP
Uncle Dumbshit

Hey Chop, My crossover was cracked on both ends when I looked at the bike. Dealer welded it right up, but how can I stop it from happening again? Probably keep the clamp a little loose and try not to smack it on curbs!
Having a hard time finding 7.5mm and 12mm fuel injection hose. I'll use 5/16" and 1/2" instead and duct tape the nipples a little. Did find some nice clamps though, normal hose clamps would bite into the hose.
Can you comfirm your TPS setting and at what throttle position he used to set it? I have heard that these are thirsty pigs if it isn't set right.
Gotta go, gonna ride it to a Toy run this AM at a independent HD shop.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:29 PM   #12
airheadbruce OP
Uncle Dumbshit

Chopperman, whats not to like about the K&N? My K&N is laying on top of the stock bottom half of the airbox, held in place with some small z brackets. I was given the stock top half, I might put it on with the K&N but the openings seem small.
I set my TPS at 210 mv which is about 485 mv at idle, 1100 rpm. Bike fired right up and seems to idle fine, will take it out next weekend to test.
I appreciate your time.
Also, does our ECU, I've got an I version, have a pot. for the idle mixture adjustment? Dammed if I could see one but other people have mentioned one on other ECU's.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:38 PM   #13
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,255
KN seem to pass dirt as well as air. used 'em a ways back, just my opinion
Old 11-07-2004, 09:16 PM   #14
RubberDown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperman
I dislike K&Ns because they have such a wide range of efficiency. Depending on how much oil is present, how much dirt, etc. Also you wil probably find a fine grit on the TB intake.
K&N + high flow + dirt in intake = $$$$$
Old 11-08-2004, 01:55 AM   #15
Caribou Aqua Buddha
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,983
My KLR only has 175 watts @ 8,000 rpm Total for everything, and I could run 55 watt lights per side, with the vest and grips off. Since those lights are not legal anyway, they would not be left on for long periods.
I was using heated vest, heated grips on low, and my 35 watt piaa's today and my battery monitor would go red. But I can go all day with grips and vest on, and even use piaa lights on occasion. I have a 100watt high beam too, but was not being used at the time.
I may have to get that Dual Star LED tail light and free up more power.
Sounds like a Quota may be able to run everything at once if you got 200 watts extra.
Caribou Aqua Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote