Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 06:04 AM   #136
96ssportsp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahnda View Post
Bike on centerstand and put it in 5th gear. Remove the spark plugs. Turn engine over with rear wheel. Put finger over spark plug hole. Feel for air trying to push on your finger, not trying to suck it in. Take a straw and put in plug hole. Continue to turn rear wheel just a bit more until you feel with the straw it is at TDC. Don't use a screwdriver or anything solid in the plug hole. When you do find TDC on compression stroke double check that both valves have that tiny amount of play in them before you try to adjust. If either one doesn't have play you might be on the wrong stroke.

Thanks man!!! Just what I was looking for, thought it might be something like that, but wasn't sure.

Ride safe, Scott.
96ssportsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #137
Twinsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
congrats on your new Quota.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #138
96ssportsp
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsport View Post
congrats on your new Quota.

Thank you! There seems to be quite a few, relatively, maybe half a dozen, in the Northwest. Cool bike. Learning the quirks. Need to get it to Moto International for tb sync and tps set. The fueling does not seem quite right.

Ride safe, Scott.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:22 AM   #139
Twinsport
Adventurer

one thing you might want to look at is the engine temperature sensor. It has a plastic housing on it that insulates the device from the heat. You can buy a metal one from Guzzi but I made one from a brass pipe fitting. After that my bike doesnt run so rich and seems to get better mileage.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #140
96ssportsp
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsport View Post
one thing you might want to look at is the engine temperature sensor. It has a plastic housing on it that insulates the device from the heat. You can buy a metal one from Guzzi but I made one from a brass pipe fitting. After that my bike doesnt run so rich and seems to get better mileage.
Thanks, I will look into that. Do you know the thread size offhand? I can pull it, should not be an issue.

Ride safe, Scott.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #141
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 842
Anyone know if there some sort of oddball bike rally in the PNW? Might be fun to meet up... Is there still the Nakusp-Laverda gig? Seems I heard it wasn't happening any more.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #142
96ssportsp
Adventurer

Took the "Q" out for my first real off pavement (gravel) ride yesterday, a little over 20 miles. I am shocked/surprised at how well this old fat pig handles gravel. This goofy thing is seriously addictive. I really didn't have any real expectations for off pavement, just wanted a unique 2nd bike to compliment my multistrada. I think I will enjoy it for a lot of miles.

Ride safe, Scott.

2005 Ducati MTS1000s
2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES
Old 05-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #143
96ssportsp
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahnda View Post
Bike on centerstand and put it in 5th gear. Remove the spark plugs. Turn engine over with rear wheel. Put finger over spark plug hole. Feel for air trying to push on your finger, not trying to suck it in. Take a straw and put in plug hole. Continue to turn rear wheel just a bit more until you feel with the straw it is at TDC. Don't use a screwdriver or anything solid in the plug hole. When you do find TDC on compression stroke double check that both valves have that tiny amount of play in them before you try to adjust. If either one doesn't have play you might be on the wrong stroke.

Just got thru with my 1st valve adjustment, easy thanks to your advice. Double checked compression stroke with flywheel marks, all 4 were tight. Got them set and bike seems to rev smoother, also changed fuel filter, gapped spark plugs,changed a bad fuel line, and a cracked crankcase breather hose. The one way ball check valve on crankcase was corroded shut, got it cleaned also. Not sure what helped, maybe everything.

Thanks again, Scott.

2005 Ducati MTS1000s
2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES
Old 08-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #144
Twinsport
Adventurer

Quota 4 way flashers

Seeing as Ive had to repair my hi/lo light switch now twice on the Q Im looking at replacing the left hand switch for something more reliable. While Im at it Im thinking V-Strom for the switch as it should give me 4 way flashers as well. anyone tried this before with the V-Strom switch before?
Old 08-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #145
2 is better than 4
Calculated risk takr

Oddometer: 100
Still have mine its for sale if anyone is intersted. Has anyoe found a good replacement for the pos 90 speedo drive that always falls apart and the inside gear falls out think i've replaced mine about thee time now?
Old 08-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #146
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,270
i had my bike in at moto international, re speedo drive they told me the part is out for good, they hooked my speedo direct, cable to speedo, no 90 degree drive, it did work for 50 miles, he said it was a stretch that a longer cable may do a better job. I'll fart around with it. I havent had a speedo in ages. other then that its the only thing thats buggered up, no rim cracks and Ive dine several thou' easy of fire roads, no pipe cracks either. love this bike !

I did the head lamp swap suggested by Greg Bender its a great cheap up grade

Im going to put wider, bigger pegs on it.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #147
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

a couple yrs ago there was a quota meet up in nothern nevada , I couldnt make it. the original HU meet in pemberton there was 2 of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vintage View Post
Anyone know if there some sort of oddball bike rally in the PNW? Might be fun to meet up... Is there still the Nakusp-Laverda gig? Seems I heard it wasn't happening any more.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #148
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

that papa sloan pipe would allow the pannier mount to be moved in so the bag doesnt stick out like a sail. I rarely use my side hard bags because of the width
Old 08-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #149
hahnda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quota mini rally last weekend at the Aerostich VBR3. There was one more there but didn't make it into the picture.

Heidenau Tires
hahnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #150
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

cool mini meet

one odd thing, mine has original battery, bought it new as a hold over , build was in 2000. I put on the charger now and then but am not regular about it.