User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2004, 04:30 PM   #16
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
About the TPS setting;

I ride a V1100 Sport and found by increasing it from 500mV to 650mV made all the difference in the world. It seems the Quota has a different range, ie 1.7 to 2.1v but the theory is still the same. Mostly I was trying to reduce the dreaded pinging and was quite surprised at the increased mid-range ( thanks for the input Chop, you saved me buying a PC III BTW ).

Also, make sure the bike has had a thorough tune up. As near as I could tell the local dealer did zero. The adjusters are marked with thick yellow paint which needs to be removed to make the adjustments ( oh I see, you replaced the yellow paint after you tuned the bike, really ).

The plugs looked pretty dark after the change so I installed the next hotter plugs which look better, may be able to take it one hotter again. The milage is about the same but this may be off setting fouls;ie it runs richer due to the advanced TPS but runs more efficiently due to the tune up. And it doesn't ping, ever!

Glad to see you guys like your Quotas. Talk about exclusive I've seen exactly 2. One at the dealer in Montreal and one on the road this fall. Very nice looking bike, not sure if I want to go big or keep the 1100 and get an LC4 or DRz for you know what. For the rest of you who have no idea what we're talking about these bikes are very sweet once they've been sorted out and broken in. "If I have to explain you wouldn't...blah, blah, blah"
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:28 AM   #17
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues
About the TPS setting;

I ride a V1100 Sport and found by increasing it from 500mV to 650mV made all the difference in the world. It seems the Quota has a different range, ie 1.7 to 2.1v but the theory is still the same. Mostly I was trying to reduce the dreaded pinging and was quite surprised at the increased mid-range ( thanks for the input Chop, you saved me buying a PC III BTW ).

Also, make sure the bike has had a thorough tune up. As near as I could tell the local dealer did zero. The adjusters are marked with thick yellow paint which needs to be removed to make the adjustments ( oh I see, you replaced the yellow paint after you tuned the bike, really ).

The plugs looked pretty dark after the change so I installed the next hotter plugs which look better, may be able to take it one hotter again. The milage is about the same but this may be off setting fouls;ie it runs richer due to the advanced TPS but runs more efficiently due to the tune up. And it doesn't ping, ever!

Glad to see you guys like your Quotas. Talk about exclusive I've seen exactly 2. One at the dealer in Montreal and one on the road this fall. Very nice looking bike, not sure if I want to go big or keep the 1100 and get an LC4 or DRz for you know what. For the rest of you who have no idea what we're talking about these bikes are very sweet once they've been sorted out and broken in. "If I have to explain you wouldn't...blah, blah, blah"

ooer. The 1100sport is another fave of mine.

Like I have said again and again. "The smart man buys the best bike after careful consideration. The smitten man buys a guzzi"

If you are totally happy with how the fuel map is now, stick with it. But a PC will help fillin any odd gaps or if you make a modification. The quota has a unique TB to guzzis. A single TB with two outlets. Synching the butterflys is a bitch. But the good news is you can fit the FI from other guzzis on there (or even carbs and a distributor! sssh! The quota cam still has the teeth to drive a distro) so if the FI goes totally up the spout, you can stuff a harness and junk from a 70s-80s guzzi on board
Old 11-09-2004, 10:12 AM   #18
cyclecat
half post a day wonder

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperman
With respect to the quota airbox...I dislike it. The snorkels point right at the front wheel and I found a lot of loose dirt on top of the filter from my dirt excursions. I dont believe they rely on any forced air so I have plans to add hose to the snorkes and run them up into the fairing.

I just cut my snorkels to about half length but made the cut so the opening was still horizontal... just furhter back under the tank now.

I have wondered if the FI from the other Guzzi would bolt on without much effort. The bike would be smoother & stronger with the FI from my wife's Jackal or a Sporti. But those bikes all have bigger valves too.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:25 AM   #19
Chopperman
I am dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclecat
I just cut my snorkels to about half length but made the cut so the opening was still horizontal... just furhter back under the tank now.

I have wondered if the FI from the other Guzzi would bolt on without much effort. The bike would be smoother & stronger with the FI from my wife's Jackal or a Sporti. But those bikes all have bigger valves too.

you might have some interference with the side panels. You would for sure have to remove the electrio petcock. But that would be the same if you went to carbs
Old 11-10-2004, 04:24 PM   #20
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
The TPS trick is a bit crude but surprisingly effective. None the less there does seem to be a little room for improvement around 4k. The wonderment I have is it only a smidge more performance for lots of $$ or is there alot more upside available. My guess is its closer to a smidge.

As a 'carb guy' I've wondered about going that way as I know them well but it could be a ton of work and $ with the possibility of less performance. As you guys are probably well aware Ferraci makes an air box kit and respected sources claim a noticable increase in power. Also a very noticable increase in noise ( I don't care for the intake sound ).

As far as smitten goes well 98% of my life requires me to be extremely logical and so forth. Boring but it works. On the logical level a MC makes no sense at all ( let see riding no where in particular, freezing ones ass off, and potentially risking life and limb to do this, hmm ) so on an emotional level this thing has really got to work. And work it does.
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 10:39 AM   #21
Chopperman
I am dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues
The TPS trick is a bit crude but surprisingly effective. None the less there does seem to be a little room for improvement around 4k. The wonderment I have is it only a smidge more performance for lots of $$ or is there alot more upside available. My guess is its closer to a smidge.
Ah...you, grasshopper, have discovered the first axiom of performance tuning:

Getting the last 10% of performance will cost 90% of the total cost of performance enhancements.

This should be kept in mind along with the second axiom:
As performance increases, reliability decreases.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:27 AM   #22
airheadbruce OP
Uncle Dumbshit

Oddometer: 475
I think we need a North West Quota get together next Spring, any ideas/comments?
Old 11-15-2004, 08:00 AM   #23
Chopperman
I am dead

did 800 miles this weekend. mostly slab though . I was getting 38mpg out of the beast. Damned good for one of these.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:58 PM   #24
diegogarr
d

Oddometer: 31
Back to exhaust..

Just got my 2000 Quota 1100 a couple of months ago..
Love this bike My last 2 bikes were beemers.. Although I loved my K and my R, This is the bike for me..
My bike came with the following:

Hyperpro springs front and back
The Air Filter is k&N and the Airbox Cover is drilled
the Crash Guards are Hepco and Becker
The seat base is original. The actual seat is Rick Meyer
The rear Wheel is Buchanans Custom with HD Spokes offset 5mm to the left to accomodate larger back tire.
The Mirrors are Napoleon.
One of the Horns was replaced with an Automotive Fiamm (The Left one) because the original died.
The Mid Exhaust is a custom made stainless piece.
The Muffler is original but the core is drilled with 1/2" drillbit in 3-4 places making it much more free flowing.
The Petcocks are manual instead of the original electric ones.
The "Outsider piece drops the Sump and relocates the oil filter outside the sump. The Outsider is sold by Harpers Motoguzzi.
Also wind deflector..

The one thing I want to replace is the Muffler.. Does anyone have a suggestion for a slip on that will make this bike sound ( ok, Ill say it) nice and loud???

The performance of this bike is beautifull!! I just want a bit more growl..
diegogarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #25
s10rat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegogarr
Just got my 2000 Quota 1100 a couple of months ago..
Love this bike My last 2 bikes were beemers.. Although I loved my K and my R, This is the bike for me..
My bike came with the following:

Hyperpro springs front and back
The Air Filter is k&N and the Airbox Cover is drilled
the Crash Guards are Hepco and Becker
The seat base is original. The actual seat is Rick Meyer
The rear Wheel is Buchanans Custom with HD Spokes offset 5mm to the left to accomodate larger back tire.
The Mirrors are Napoleon.
One of the Horns was replaced with an Automotive Fiamm (The Left one) because the original died.
The Mid Exhaust is a custom made stainless piece.
The Muffler is original but the core is drilled with 1/2" drillbit in 3-4 places making it much more free flowing.
The Petcocks are manual instead of the original electric ones.
The "Outsider piece drops the Sump and relocates the oil filter outside the sump. The Outsider is sold by Harpers Motoguzzi.
Also wind deflector..

The one thing I want to replace is the Muffler.. Does anyone have a suggestion for a slip on that will make this bike sound ( ok, Ill say it) nice and loud???

The performance of this bike is beautifull!! I just want a bit more growl..
Nicely set up Q...lucky you!
I also got mine a couple of months ago...bone stock with 16xx miles...
I think I saw yours on youtube...
looks like you have a larger tire in the back...??? what size?
..searched the hepco becker site but cannot find crash bars for the Q
any input on this one?
s10rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #26
diegogarr
d

Back tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10rat
Nicely set up Q...lucky you!
I also got mine a couple of months ago...bone stock with 16xx miles...
I think I saw yours on youtube...
looks like you have a larger tire in the back...??? what size?
..searched the hepco becker site but cannot find crash bars for the Q
any input on this one?

Here's a pic taken by the previous owner (a real guzzi genius)..
130/80 - 17
this bike runs like a Rolex. Seriously, the best bike I've ever owned so far.
I just put it away for the winter (my brothers garage).. I miss it already.. cant wait till March!!

http://www.dataorientedventures.com/...N_Rim_0001.JPG
Old 01-23-2009, 11:28 PM   #27
s10rat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Here's a pic taken by the previous owner (a real guzzi genius)..
130/80 - 17

http://www.dataorientedventures.com/...N_Rim_0001.JPG
...nice picture!!!
...so it's a regular size tire
..it seemed bigger in the video, may be because you have no rear fender...which is nice I reckon...
Old 01-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #28
diegogarr
d

Wide..

Quote:
...nice picture!!!
...so it's a regular size tire
..it seemed bigger in the video, may be because you have no rear fender...which is nice I reckon...

I just reposted the vid.. Just realized that the encoding I used stretched the video.. Ya, I like it without the back fender as well.. I just drilled the plate on to the subframe..

How's your new quota?? any pics??
Old 01-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #29
s10rat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I just reposted the vid.. Just realized that the encoding I used stretched the video.. Ya, I like it without the back fender as well.. I just drilled the plate on to the subframe..

How's your new quota?? any pics??
...have you ridden on wet pavement with no rear fender?
just wondering if you are getting your back wet from the rear tire ...
here'is a recent picture of mine...had a screen made down here (now is finally rideable) ...and messing with the paintjob already
..hopefully this week get the cylinder balanced...
Old 01-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #30
diegogarr
d

Back spackle

Quote:
...have you ridden on wet pavement with no rear fender?
just wondering if you are getting your back wet from the rear tire ...
here'is a recent picture of mine...had a screen made down here (now is finally rideable) ...and messing with the paintjob already
..hopefully this week get the cylinder balanced...
I have ridden in rain, sand, slight mud and once in a freak snow storm.. My back stayed dry.. no back spackle.... Although I've never ridden this bike with Pillion.. Now that we have a kid my wife wont ride with me any more.. Hopefully that'll change soon enough..

Man that's a nice looking Quota!!! Mine was originally red as well..
I love the black bits on yours.. That's the coolest looking red one Ive ever seen... nice screen too..

By the way.. Where is "down Here"??

Just take your fender off.. If anything Aesthetically it looks cool as hell..