User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #61
furbish
n00b

Oddometer: 2
a new quota

Just got myself a Quota, Been on a Guzzi for 30 years. Sold my KLR & my EV, and got the Quota. Going to take it on the Oregon Discovery Route this July. 240 miles of dirt roads will let you know how it works out.
furbish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:56 PM   #62
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,254
hi furbish, welcome
which section of the route are you going on? ive had mine of very rough clapped out fire road, rides fine, the rougher the more ya want a lighter ride but no worries overall. I've never had it in deep mud. that might be ugly.

I just ordered a set a shinko 705's for mine, price sure is right.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #63
diegogarr
d

Oddometer: 31
new Quota

Congrats furbish,
I did a day on dirt on my quota and was pleasantly surprised.. It was a blast and surprisingly agile.. I wasn't traveling - just going around on trails and woods in south Jersey.. I've had my bike for less than a year so I'm definitely looking forward to allot more of that.. The season is just getting started here in the north east..

Let us Know how your ride goes..

all the best,
d
diegogarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #64
furbish
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I took my KLR on route 3. This time I will try route 4. If it works out i will do the loop riding all 4 sections for about 600 miles of dirt. Ordered today conti escape tires, hope they work out.
furbish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #65
s10rat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vintage
My bike is back together after a complete winter tear down, inspection, & overhaul:

I finally put 2 and 2 together the other day and figured out that this thread was started about my bike, but two owners back. Quota ownership is a small fraternity...
Looks real clean
What kind of overhaul?
She doesn't look very high mileage...
and how can you ride with that small fairing ..??
s10rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #66
s10rat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegogarr
Congrats furbish,
I did a day on dirt on my quota and was pleasantly surprised.. It was a blast and surprisingly agile..
Agile as a whale can be but ...
Old 05-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #67
diegogarr
d

whale

Yes you're right.. I meant for its size and bore..

On a separate note.

I'm having second thoughts about my Hepcoa Becker side bags.. You can fit a whale in each one but,,,,, they're just to big for cutting trafic here in New York city.. I'm trying to find a way to trade for something smaller that fit on my racks...
Old 05-18-2009, 10:40 AM   #68
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by s10rat
Looks real clean
What kind of overhaul?
She doesn't look very high mileage...
and how can you ride with that small fairing ..??
I just tore it apart mostly for curiousity's sake. It has 26k miles on it, so I lubed splines, changed seals, fixed a bunch of wiring, etc. I also tried to fix a rear main seal leak, but a new seal didn't do the trick. I guess I'll have to live with the occasional few drops of oil, it is italian after all.

Yes, the wind deflectors I made help some but a taller windshield would be a definate plus.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #69
diegogarr
d

Ouch

My Bike got nailed..

I saw it happen! I was looking out my window about to get on the bike and go to work.. I saw the white van plow into it like it was the last parking space in Brooklyn.... He says he didnt see it..... Anyway, all is well enough - no one was hurt (thank god I didn't punch the guy,, Almost!!).
My quota is in good hands at motoborgotaro Getting an estimate.
My outsider oil sump is history.. other than that just a few scratches on the engine guard and a broken brake lever.. Shit happens right????
I think I'm gonna go with the stock oil sump.. It may be a pain in the ass to change the filter but at least its protected...
Old 05-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #70
s10rat
Beastly Adventurer

Oh Sh....
Real sorry to hear that Diego......(I try to park on the sidewalk whenever I can)
hope everything goes well
and put your beautiful quota back on the street asap

let us know
Cheers
Old 05-23-2009, 07:27 AM   #71
s10rat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vintage
I just tore it apart mostly for curiousity's sake. It has 26k miles on it, so I lubed splines, changed seals, fixed a bunch of wiring, etc. I also tried to fix a rear main seal leak, but a new seal didn't do the trick. I guess I'll have to live with the occasional few drops of oil, it is italian after all.

Yes, the wind deflectors I made help some but a taller windshield would be a definate plus.
oh ok ...some cleaning and inspecting....
I wouldn't call that an overhaul
...I hope you get at least another 60 or 70 thousand miles before that is needed...
Old 06-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #72
diegogarr
d

Skid plate

Ok , Just got the word that I'm covered for the repairs and a check is on the way..Thanks to Geiko!!!
I've decided to go with the stock oil sump.. the outsider was cool but obviously extremely vulnerable..
Still,, I would love to protect the bottom of my bike with a skid plate.. I may have to have one custom designed and fabricated.. Does anyone have any Ideas for a skid plate on a quota 1100???
Old 06-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #73
hahnda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Long time lurker but I thought I'd jump in here with a pic of my Quota. I've had it about a month and put just over 1000 miles on it.

Really enjoying it so far. The bags make it really wide but its nice to be able to stash your helmet in the 40l bag. It has a few add-ons and mods. One of them that makes the most sense is the seat bolt have been replaced with ball detent srews. No need to remove the sidecovers to remove the seat. I also like the +7" windscreen from Gustuffson. It does a lot more than expected. Once I burn these street tires off I have a set of Avon Gripsters waiting.

Kevin
hahnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #74
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahnda
Long time lurker but I thought I'd jump in here with a pic of my Quota....

Kevin
Looks sharp!
Old 06-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #75
diegogarr
d

bags

Really enjoying it so far. The bags make it really wide but its nice to be able to stash your helmet in the 40l bag. It has a few add-ons and mods. One of them that makes the most sense is the seat bolt have been replaced with ball detent srews. No need to remove the sidecovers to remove the seat. I also like the +7" windscreen from Gustuffson. It does a lot more than expected. Once I burn these street tires off I have a set of Avon Gripsters waiting.

Kevin[/QUOTE]

Nice!! Are those lights on your crashbars as well??
Funny, your bags dont look as wide as mine in your pic.. are you sure they're not a 30 liters?? I feel mine are too wide also (for city driving).
I'm looking to scale down bagwise..

Hey, Congrats. Beautiful bike..

d