ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 12:57 AM   #1
stevh0 OP
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,413
Adventure S Fork Preload

I have progressive springs in my 950S, currently I have just reset the settings back to factory - comfort

Are 6 turns in too little for the front? Does anybody know what the factory settings are?
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:03 AM   #2
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,951
With "Progressive" springs you can throw the factory preload guide out the window.

In fact, adjusting the preload with Progressive springs is useless, because of the soft initial spring rate, all you're doing when screwing in on the preload adjuster is compressing the soft part of the spring more, but it doesn't have enough energy to change the sag.

Wherever it's set now is what it's going to be. Straight rate springs are the way to go. Sorry you've already spent the money.
Old Today, 07:31 AM   #3
stevh0 OP
Super Retard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
With "Progressive" springs you can throw the factory preload guide out the window.

In fact, adjusting the preload with Progressive springs is useless, because of the soft initial spring rate, all you're doing when screwing in on the preload adjuster is compressing the soft part of the spring more, but it doesn't have enough energy to change the sag.

Wherever it's set now is what it's going to be. Straight rate springs are the way to go. Sorry you've already spent the money.
Hey Chuckracer,

I bought the bike with progressive springs. Initially the front was very hard and made a little skittish. This morning while playing around with the rebound, the clickers did not match at all so I decided to just re-set everything. Low speed compression varied about 3 clicks too.

Front is a lot softer now and a lot more plush. Should I just turn in the preload if I start bottoming out?
Old Today, 07:54 AM   #4
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Yeah, that might work. That will get you into the stiffer part of the spring rate sooner...which may be too stiff.

The problem w/ most progressive springs is we don't know what the rates are. If the initial rate is super soft and the secondary rate super stiff, it will blow through it's initial travel (something these bikes need NO help doing) then become harsh.

You can to a small extant control when it hits the secondary rate, but you can't set sag. Also, as your fork compresses, the air volume gets smaller and starts coming into play...so you've got soft, soft, soft...then super stiff and nothing you can do with preload adjusting will change that. Terrible things.

Playing with the compression and rebound settings are a whole 'nother thang.
Old Today, 08:04 AM   #5
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

From the manual

Basic Settings, clickers counted from full in...

Fork Compression:

Comfort: 20
Basic: 15
Sport:10

Rebound...

Comfort: 23
Basic: 18
Sport: 13
Old Today, 08:07 AM   #6
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Just for giggles, the rear shock settings...

Compression LS

Comfort: 25
Basic: 20
Sport: 15

Compression HS

Comfort: 2 turns
Basic: 1.5
Sport: 1

Rebound

Comfort: 20
Basic: 15
Sport:10
Old Today, 09:58 AM   #7
stevh0 OP
Super Retard.

Thanks dude, much appreciated.

So let me get this straight.

The preload determines how quickly the spring maxes out and the compression at the rate the spring maxes out.

So if I want to make it stiffer, I should rather dial in the compression a few clicks instead of the preload?

Right now I have the compression on 25 as I like it soft. I have a fair bit of sand to ride this weekend so it will be interesting to see how the front will behave. Am I right in saying if its too hard the front will wash out ?
Old Today, 10:24 AM   #8
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

The spring rate determines whether the spring is correct for the bike and rider weight. Setting the Sag w/ preload adjustments puts the suspension in the correct part of it's stroke to perform correctly. This also sets the bike geometry.

Compression damping controls how FAST the fork moves (compresses), rebound damping controls how FAST the fork extends (rebounds).

There are lots of varibles in play here, but if I was headed for sand, I would increase front compression and decrease rebound, and possibly increase preload. I would also decrease rear preload and compression. The goal being to try and help the bike keep it's front end up and transfer weight off the front wheel.

But mostly, sand is more about rider technique.
Old Today, 10:29 AM   #9
stevh0 OP
Super Retard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
The spring rate determines whether the spring is correct for the bike and rider weight. Setting the Sag w/ preload adjustments puts the suspension in the correct part of it's stroke to perform correctly. This also sets the bike geometry.

Compression damping controls how FAST the fork moves (compresses), rebound damping controls how FAST the fork extends (rebounds).

There are lots of varibles in play here, but if I was headed for sand, I would increase front compression and decrease rebound, and possibly increase preload. I would also decrease rear preload and compression. The goal being to try and help the bike keep it's front end up and transfer weight off the front wheel.

But mostly, sand is more about rider technique.
My previous Adventure S and Super Enduro did fairly well... this one is a little harder pushing its nose mostly everywhere. I have to really ride aggressive and it gets tiring.

Ill give some thought to the settings and see how she runs. Would go as far as sport settings or even further (on compression) ? Rebound is easy...to set. LOL
Old Today, 10:51 AM   #10
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

There's too much weight on the front end of these bikes. Anything you can do to help it keep it's head up will help. I've gone to single disk and revalved the forks to accomplish this. It's much better in sand now.

I am fairly close to Sport settings on both ends. That's where I fine tune from.
Old Today, 11:18 AM   #11
stevh0 OP
Super Retard.

Mmm. I'll dial it in tomorrow and take it to my sand pit. Just waiting on my fresh mitas e09.