User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
EdGear OP
Edventurer

Oddometer: 527
990A voltage drops with increased RPM

I have an electrical problem. Using an installed volt meter I can watch the voltage drop as I increase RPM. With everything off (no headlights) the drop is small and the system is still charging. Turning on the headlights causes a voltage drop at idle, where the voltage drop increases as I increase RPM up to 5K. I did not measure higher than 5K RPM. If I turn on the aux LED lights and the grip heaters the bike charges at idle (greater than 13.6v) but as RPM increases the voltage drops below 13v.

From what I have read so far I can check all the contacts, test the rectifier output, check the stator output. Then I can start checking all the wiring added by the PO.

Has anyone seen this behavior?
Thanks,
Ed
EdGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
ChR1s
Spherical Bastard

Oddometer: 336
At what two points is the meter connected to?
Old 01-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
britespark
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Charging Voltage

Mine is an '08 and had similar problems. At idle about 13.4V, at 2k revs 13.9V, at 3.5k revs 13.2V. The voltage went down as the revs went up settling at 13.2V at cruising speed. I often stopped after riding for 1 hour and on restarting the battery was barely able to turn it over.
I replaced the regulator/rectifier and all is fine. It now charges at 14.2V as it should. It was a genuine KTM replacement.

Pat
Old 01-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,790
I had the same. I think it is common.

I do not know if it is normal. I am replacing my rectifier with one of these Shindengen FH012AA Yamaha mosfet rectifiers. They are supposed to be better avoiding superchrges that can harm the bike. I had an issue and got all my electronics burned including ECU.
Cheers
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
EdGear OP
Edventurer

The meter is an ADVmonster LED voltage meter connected between switched ACC and a return to the battery negative terminal. A separate meter connected to the Shorai port showed the battery voltage going down when the stator/rectified was not replenishing the battery.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
EdGear OP
Edventurer

I installed a new voltage regulator/rectified and the electrical behavior seems normal. At idle with nothing on I see 14.4v. I can turn on lights, aux lights and grip heaters on low and still see 13.6v at idle. Reving to 5000 RPM the voltage goes up not down.
Problem solved thanks Pat.
Wonder what caused the regulator to fail? The bike has <11K miles. The two pin connector (to ECU?) was packed with dirt.
Ed
Old 01-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,666
I'm not an electrical engineer however, have read up on the shunt style (KTM OEM) R/R and what you describe seems to be their main downfall...the higher the revs the less output they allow. This causes more internal heat than they can handle and is ultimately what causes them to fail regularly (if lucky, it will just quit charging correctly or it can cause intermittent spikes which seem to destroy the sensitive circitry/batteries).

I've already switched to the Mosfet Style unit on my 690 and will also do so on my 950 once funds allow.

Can be purchased here (no affiliation, just happy customer)

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...onnectors.html
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
EdGear OP
Edventurer

There is a lot of info there. Has anyone else taken this route with the 990?
Ed
Old 11-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
LateNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Similar Problem

I think I am having the same problem with my 05 950. I ran it on the highway for an hour, pulled onto the street and thats when things started acting up (at low RPMs) lights on the dash started flickering. Pulled into a parking lot, turned the bike off, then it wouldn't turn back on.

I had a similar problem on a tight twisty trail after i went down in a creek and I had the GPS on.

I haven't used a voltmeter on it, but I have already seen a few posts with this being the problem. probably just gonna order a new rectifier now.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:18 AM   #10
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Without telling us what the voltage is, saying it "drops" does not help much. it's like saying one orange is more orange then another. We need numbers.

I had my R/R start to over voltage. My Garmin has a volt meter in it so I caught it in time.

I replaced it with a FA020AA from here.
http://www.roadstercycle.com

I don't see the wiring kit I used still on the website. I used the harness with the circuit beaker and ran direct to the battery. The stator connector was uncrimped so I cut the existing KTM connector on and wired it into the FA020 connector. Less splices the better. I bet he will make an uncrimped stator harness if you ask.

The FA020AA is larger then the stock stator and the mounting holes are wider. I was able to mount it in the factory location by mounting it upside down and drilling out the bracket for a new bolt location.

Voltage is a rock steady at 14.2V a bit after startup. After some time on the road it drops to 13.8V to not over charge the battery. I could not ask for better regulation.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote