Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 05:12 AM   #481
LocuL OP
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,223
"true" dualsport bike, still got the 21/18 setup(original and excel toughness).
Old 04-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #482
stuj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
This is the bike that should have been built in Mattighoffen by KTM!
Well done that man. Please will you release a step by step manual on how to do it ourselves? :)
stuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #483
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,380
Congratulations!
Lets hear it roar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocuL View Post
With the weight on the end, you might find the kickstand flopping down a lot as you go over rough terrain. Aurel had something similar on his bike and the sidestand switch kept cutting out when he went over bumps.
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #484
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,055
A question about the fork protection are you just planning to use the stock the low fender even if its not fully covering the long pyndon legs?

Have some worries about it snagging and breaking so had plans to try to add a pair of normal protectors inside the low fender since I prefer that look but need to source some protectors of some kind, the 85SX or what many use for the high fender conversion are too short.

When will we see some videos of it in action!

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #485
LocuL OP
Gnarly Infantry

Hi Johan

Well i´m working hard at both job and bike. And yes i´m aware as i´ve mentioned earlyer that the 320mm forks would get severely scracthed if i just rode on. This evening i´ve bend some 2mm steel plates to make the low fender 4cm taller. That should cover it and should be sturdy enough. This bike won´t see any super muddy conditions so i´ll keep the low fender, though i would like an carbon or just plane black.

Video will show up,but this bike needs done on sunday as my Master Sergeant course will start there. As i don´t own any car i will need this to carry me. I would be sad to ride the winter bike, Yamaha XT250 as i need to haul some gear.

You did get the 320mm setup, didn´t you?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #486
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocuL View Post

You did get the 320mm setup, didn´t you?
Yes working on extending brake lines and stands for it as best I can summer is here any day, Northern Sweden so still plenty of snow and below freezing during the nights.

If you do manage to bottom out the susension you will crush the low fender.

There is no spare room what so ever on the old 2004 low fender, and the newer fender you are using is a tiny bit higher.

Was planning myself to raise it up some but after measuring I decided to look into options.

Well time for work cant sit at home and dream away any longer.

/Johan

Old 04-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #487
LocuL OP
Gnarly Infantry

Hmm i will admit that I haven't looked into this to much as the next 3, 5 month will asphalt travel. Please post any thoughts you might have on any solution.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #488
Ghostrider.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
love this!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #489
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyADV View Post
Yes working on extending brake lines and stands for it as best I can summer is here any day, Northern Sweden so still plenty of snow and below freezing during the nights.

If you do manage to bottom out the susension you will crush the low fender.

There is no spare room what so ever on the old 2004 low fender, and the newer fender you are using is a tiny bit higher.

Was planning myself to raise it up some but after measuring I decided to look into options.

Well time for work cant sit at home and dream away any longer.

/Johan
There has to be enough room for the low fenders with this suspension. The upper part of the forks that create the space on full compression are the same i believe. No matter the internal length of stroke that you have.
So you just need to source yourself a fender with high fork leg protection arrea, like used on the dakar models. I think you can get a fiberglass copy of the 690/450RR low fender for a reasonable price.
Saw the link somewhere in the thumpers 690rr topic!
Old 04-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #490
LocuL OP
Gnarly Infantry

uhhh nice. I´ll have a look at that. For now it works fine.

Update:
Battery was changed for a good standard Gel type. Starts right up and work great. Changed the Rectifier and bike at last put some juice on the battery while iddling. Though when i took it to work today voltage started at 12.8 and started falling down with 0.1 at a time....god damnit. I may have to dig deeper in this and look for faults made by my self. Had an spirited ride today and got to know it better. Rides pretty shite between 4200-5000, but haven´t touched the bazzaz system yet. If i can´t get through the charging crap tomorrow i´m out or time is up.

No quiting, just regrouping.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #491
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
There has to be enough room for the low fenders with this suspension. The upper part of the forks that create the space on full compression are the same i believe. No matter the internal length of stroke that you have.
So you just need to source yourself a fender with high fork leg protection arrea, like used on the dakar models. I think you can get a fiberglass copy of the 690/450RR low fender for a reasonable price.
Saw the link somewhere in the thumpers 690rr topic!
Thanks for the advice about other low fenders but there is also a problem that the Adv has a different mounting pattern then most other bike but maybe that is easier to alter, have not worked anything with fiberglass tho.

Yes upper part is the same length but the lower part has a 320mm stroke instead of 210-265.

Measuring from top of low fender to lower triple clamp with the front wheel in the air there is 320mm.

So should there be a complete bottoming out the fender will hit or be extremely close.

But with stiffer springs and street use that would probably never happen.

/Johan

Old 04-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #492
LocuL OP
Gnarly Infantry

Hi all

I´ve been SUPER busy getting the bike up to speed. I had the failing rectifier which wasn´tfailing at all. All on my shoulders. As Svane wasn´t around I had to make this electrical fault search. Turned out to be very simple. Al in all i have an running bike which work very well.

The hunt for the electric gremlin which turned out to be my own fat fingers...god

I´ve have much to tel and way to little time to write as i´m off to school tomorrow. I will put in some more detailed thoughts regarding the project.

I would like to thankyou everyone whome have helped me out and shared thoughts and just liked this creeping project. This is huge and if you think that new 1190 Adventure pre-made from Austria is fast...well

The looks or the lack of it. It ain´t a beaty but it´s very effective. I manage to put in 120km today. SO NICE

It ain´t over i still have loadsof small ends and things i would re-do when winter comes.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #493
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,001
suh-weet. Great job on this build. Now have some fun riding that thing after all that work!

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #494
DK Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Amazing project and congratulations on getting it done

I also have some project plans/dreams for my old beemer. One of the things keeping me from realising the plans are the risk of not complying with the national regulations. As far as I have read it's quite complicated to do modifications to a bike and getting them approved for road use. It's only possible to get one "major" modification (engine, suspension, frame etc.) approved per year so my plans would reach well into the future. Have you had any good/bad experiences with our national regulations during your project?
Old 04-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #495
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Thumb

Locul.... so it's running outdoors...

You say it's not a beauty...? I do like it very much indeed, She has a strong look and lot of personality...

When you have time enough, I would like a lot to hear it running, now with the 2-in-1 finished... thanks in advance.

Enjoy your first rides!!!

liferider is offline   Reply With Quote