ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
GJ990 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Advice needed for installing aftermarket pipes

I’m about to order a set of MIVV aftermarket pipes for my 2013 990 ADV. I plan to install them myself but I’d like to get some seasoned guidance from the more experienced inmates here:

I understand the bikes generally run lean from the factory. If I just do the 15 minute idle reset will that be sufficient or do I run the risk of burning the valves? I plan to run the pipes without the db killers because I like loud pipes and just want to make sure I don’t need an Akra map or something (I had to install a Power Commander on my Victory High-Ball with the aftermarket pipes). I don’t want to damage the engine. I don’t care about fuel consumption, just want to protect the engine as much as possible.

Thanks,
G
Old 12-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
Denalidirt
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 900
Looks like

Others have used the MIVV before. I think they went with the akra map. if you do your intake as well i would do the map
Denalidirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,964
You won't hurt the bike by not re-mapping. The 15 minute idle will get it close. What you may get is a snatchy throttle response and ultimately you will probably want to go down the mapping rabbit hole, but you can run it and not hurt anything.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
GJ990 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys, will try it without the map for a while and see how it goes. Can't get the pipes before end of Jan anyway, so I'll do some more research as well.
Old Yesterday, 01:21 AM   #5
Chewy750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Depends on how free flowing your pipes are an what air filters you have, if you fit aftermarket pipes and keep the baffle in with stock filters then you will be there or there abouts (same flow in, similar flow out) with the 15min reset. However, if you take the baffles out and have a free flowing (CPR) style of air filter then you will be a fair way out, much more flow in and out. (For carbs you would always increase the jet size or the bike will bog down due to being excessively lean).

I run stock filters with Akra's, but with the baffles in and the standard map, run on a dyno it was not worth changing as it was nearly bob on, however, take the baffles out and a remap was advised. (The KTM Akra map is not that far away either).

So that is your real question, are you just looking to remove the Cats or looking for more noise and power?
Chewy750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:03 AM   #6
GJ990 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Advice needed for installing aftermarket pipes

I will use the standard air filter, standard intake but exhaust baffles out. Don't need extra power, it is purely to get the sound from the MIVV without the inserts.