User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
FIIG Rick OP
FAT CHICKS NEED LOVIN TOO

Oddometer: 671
Rudall River Part 2

Part 2: "To Boldly go where no other GSA has gone before" (Or again)
O.k so into Rudall river National park we headed, the track was down to two wheel ruts with spinafex on either side and the middle, a mix of rock, sand and more sand, at times it was better to head bush and keep the track in site rather than use the track.

Oly felt sorry for me so he dropped his bike just to make me feel better

Rudall River is remote, It's hard to explain to people who don't know the area, we saw no one whilst we were there, the nearest known people where at least 300 k's away, wild camels were everywhere, Dingo's howled all night when we camped, If you want to get away from it all, this is the place, To say we had some navigation problems would be a bit harsh, just that the guy (Shane) who mapped it, way pointed it, Google mapped it etc, really the guy who knew where we were going, bailed out at Newman with a sore knee, so as we discovered some great places and rides, we sort of missed the Queen Desert Baths, and as fuel was an Issue we didn't keep looking, long story but we decided to head for Telfer gold mine and out of the Park.

One of the many dry creek crossings we crossed

Dead Camel ( tried the Bear Grills thing, but I think someone got all the good bits before me!)

The road out got a bit sandy

Then the sand got a bit roady, note the dingo tracks in the rutts, this tested the pig, at one stage I looked back where I had been and it looked like a turtle had been laying eggs in the sand, One big scrape mark with flipper marks along each side, Ah sand you gotta love it, Tried to swap bikes at this stage...

As we had a fuel (and beer) drop organised at a cattle station up the track we decided to push on past Telfer

Road trains... the drivers must love it when the see us!

W stopped for lunch and a swim at Carawine Gorge, Bit of a dump, but spose it will do.

We headed for Warrawagine Cattle station where our fuel and beer was organised, Warrawagine is big 165k's long and 80 k's wide, not many fences, and cattle who have never seen people, Mustering time during the cooler months( now) there are around 26 people there, more than alot of towns up here, the Cattlemen are a bunch of young guys (and girls) who go out on 225cc bikes and with the aid of helecopters and buggy's push the cattle into pens where there loaded onto trucks and shipped out.

a Buggy, frequently tipped over by bulls.

Lunch at the start of Skull Springs rd

Skull Springs rd runs from Woody Woody mine to Nullagine, about 200k's
A must do if your up that way.

We chased this old bull camel up the track for a while, Man they stink!

I hadn't dropped the bike for a while so I thought I'd stop and look at the view and lay the big girl down.

About 35 k's short of Nullagine I hit one of the many sharp rocks and blew the side wall on the front tyre at about 110 kmh, the bike stayed solid and I pulled up to suvey the dammage.

We tried to patch it, plug it, green slime it, nothing worked so Dren loaded the wheel onto the DR and took it to Nullagine, I boiled the billy, re packed the bike, threw rocks at bottles etc.

It went dark and I was wondering what had gone on, some tourists stopped and gave me 2 cans of cold beer( I must have looked like I needed it)
Dren came back with John the guy who runs the caravan park with a Landcruiser and trailer, the tyre was damaged beyond repair, so we went back to Nullagine where I got on the phone to the wife, she started the ball rolling and to cut a long story short a fellw inmate "Pilbara" had a tyre on the mail truck from Newman the next morning and we were back on the road by lunch time ( amazing service)

Sign at the end of Skull Springs rd.

As the tyre was a Tourance tyre, we decided to pull up short on the rest of the trip and head back to Perth on the tar, 200k's of dirt to Newman to thank "Pilbara" and camped about 40k's ou of Newman.

Lunch?
\

The ride back to Perth (1150 in one day) was a bit boring...but I was glad to be heading home in one bit!
Every second truck was a wide load heading north for the next mining boom.

This next one was a beuty 126 wheels, 150 t cone crusher pluss the trailer,2 prime movers linked together, heading to Yandi mine from Perth at 50kmh, oh and there was 2 of them!

So thats about it another great trip, great company, great roards and tracks.
The GSA did a great job, hard work in the sand, at times I would have given anything to have a 650, but we got there.
The Pilbara region on Western Australia is a great place to visit, I think everyone should ride Skull Springs rd atleast once in there life.
Quit your job, leave the wife, sell a kidney, do what ever it takes but get up into the Pilbara.
Thanks for reading my first ride report, and see you out there.
FIIG Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,794
Great job Richard. Farken jealous.

You're now the official Ride Reporter for us OK.

You got me thinking of trailering the 640 up to Newman and riding Skull Springs Rd then Carawine solo.

Shane
11 K1600GTL
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
olyflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201

mmm long weekend this weekend, if i get my bike back in time i might do skull springs road

did you try a tube in the front? had to throw a tube in my strom when we did the same on the rear with a rock, held up till we got just shy of Halls Creek on the Duncan Hwy
olyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
FIIG Rick OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyflyer

mmm long weekend this weekend, if i get my bike back in time i might do skull springs road

did you try a tube in the front? had to throw a tube in my strom when we did the same on the rear with a rock, held up till we got just shy of Halls Creek on the Duncan Hwy
Thats the only thing I didn't try, as the side wall was so damaged, If I had fitted a tube It would only have got me to Nullagine, I wouldn't have risked it any further, as it was BMW roadside assist are paying the $150 fee for the pick up, I will be taking tubes with me next time as that would be the only way to get going again.
I was talking to Dren at Nullagine and we recon use the van park as a base and ride off on day trips unloaded??, might be the next ride?
Better wait until Marble Bar gets beer again.
Or Warrawagine????>?
Old 05-31-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
FIIG Rick OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall
Great job Richard. Farken jealous.

You're now the official Ride Reporter for us OK.

You got me thinking of trailering the 640 up to Newman and riding Skull Springs Rd then Carawine solo.

Shane
Yeh It's a great ride, Talked to Pilbara and he seems keen to show us around his back yard, might be a goer?
Even though I dropped my bike heaps, and blew a tyre, I couldn't get the smile off my face riding those roads "Living the Dream"
I've always looked at the GSA as an overgrown trail bike, some of those tracks were Farkin hard work, and I addmited to myself that the bike is too big for some of those river crossings, but all in all I still think it's the bike for me.
It's cold down here, I wana go back.
P.s Hows the knee?
Old 05-31-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
olyflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
yeah it's cold up here too, a brisk 28C and a artic 18C overnight I think I have frostbite

think i might just drive up and grab the bike on a trailer Friday and drive to a camping spot and set up base and ride for 3 days, keen?
olyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:49 PM   #7
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIIG Rick
Yeh It's a great ride, Talked to Pilbara and he seems keen to show us around his back yard, might be a goer?
Even though I dropped my bike heaps, and blew a tyre, I couldn't get the smile off my face riding those roads "Living the Dream"
I've always looked at the GSA as an overgrown trail bike, some of those tracks were Farkin hard work, and I addmited to myself that the bike is too big for some of those river crossings, but all in all I still think it's the bike for me.
It's cold down here, I wana go back.
P.s Hows the knee?
Still hobbling round like a ruptured emu. Commuting on the GSA now... bit tricky gettin on & off the thing.

No room for an old DR (or somethin) in the shed for you maybe? And go back in 2011 & find Desert Queen... it's in my GPS
11 K1600GTL
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
FIIG Rick OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyflyer
yeah it's cold up here too, a brisk 28C and a artic 18C overnight I think I have frostbite

think i might just drive up and grab the bike on a trailer Friday and drive to a camping spot and set up base and ride for 3 days, keen?
Yeh why the puck not, still havn't washed the bike so there's an excuse!!
Where you wana go?
Old 05-31-2010, 11:15 PM   #9
FIIG Rick OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall
Still hobbling round like a ruptured emu. Commuting on the GSA now... bit tricky gettin on & off the thing.

No room for an old DR (or somethin) in the shed for you maybe? And go back in 2011 & find Desert Queen... it's in my GPS
Still got the KLR in the shed, might have to dust it off!!
Old 06-01-2010, 02:49 AM   #10
pugsley
Little Man

Oddometer: 636
Mate ya did well on that big girl!Good on ya!
pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:55 AM   #11
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,919
Rick after watching you throw the GSA around on Sunday morning after the OCBR, that bike is definately the bike for you, I love my GS and have been known to put it in places it shouldn't be but that Sunday you left me and many others for dead (may have been the SAmbucca though), only other bloke I've seen ride a GS that hard would be Hillbilly, he scares me,no-ones told him it's not a DRZ.
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:52 AM   #12
waltwhitman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Part 2: "To Boldly go where no other GSA has gone before" (Or again)
O.k so into Rudall river National park we headed, the track was down to two wheel ruts with spinafex on either side and the middle, a mix of rock, sand and more sand, at times it was better to head bush and keep the track in site rather than use the track.

good stuff thanks for sharing
waltwhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:33 AM   #13
DANNOj
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Quit your job, leave the wife, sell a kidney, do what ever it takes but get up into the Pilbara.
Bloody hell Rick, mate that ride report just makes me wanna strap the tent on and head up there!

Well done on a fantastic ride, and a ripper ride report

Cheers,
Dan

DANNOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #14
FIIG Rick OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bully1
Rick after watching you throw the GSA around on Sunday morning after the OCBR, that bike is definately the bike for you, I love my GS and have been known to put it in places it shouldn't be but that Sunday you left me and many others for dead (may have been the SAmbucca though), only other bloke I've seen ride a GS that hard would be Hillbilly, he scares me,no-ones told him it's not a DRZ.
Oh shucks Bully, I'm blushing..., yeh I do like the pig, just gotta remember to take the front guard off in heavy mud next time.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #15
Dustbruvver
Adventure Amatuer

Oddometer: 46
Brilliant write up FIIG Rick - Really enjoyed it. Keep it coming.

Some fantastic shots of the Wild wild west.

Will have to visit that side of the country when my KLX400

grows up.
Dustbruvver is offline   Reply With Quote