User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
motosaint OP
LTLYLTL!

Oddometer: 566
Day 1; San Francisco - San Diego Quicky

Okay, it's that much more awesome when going through your own personal hell, that you MAKE some time and get away from it all I had been going through a business 'divorce' of sorts and it's been ugly for months.. Now that things have calmed down a bit, I made a run for it

Unfortunately, my bike had been partially dis-assembled for a few weeks.. 'Anna' is a DR650 and I had been plagued by wicked leaking issues recently with the infamous base & tension gasket issues and finally decided to do something about it. I've never done any kind of car or motorcycle engine work or nothing I can really brag about. Well, I did fix an electrical issue with my 1999 Suzuki Katana 600 (Amanda) that was pretty impressive But I have a degree in electrical engineering.. So I'm glad it was good for something I could use

So for several weeks, I was driving my car which was driving me crazy So when things finally started to calm down, I dedicated a lot more time to fixing the problem. I'm obviously nervous and if it weren't for my buddies at the DR650 Yahoo Group (a special thanks to Charlie ), it' would've been a lot more stressful! The base gasket was a horrible mess and it took probably 2 - 3 hours to clean each joining piece. The tension gasket was an especial mess.. Here are some pictures..

The Head gasket.. Not too bad.

The chain-tension gasket.. This was really bad.. And you can see the gasket maker that I applied for a temporary fix..

A picture of the cam. It was suggested that I take a picture of this before I took it apart, but it wasn't necessary due to the notches in the cam. Just make sure you have the valves properly set first. Which I did

Again, I wish I had taken more pictures before I did any work.. It was a lot of work.. I was just soo focused on getting the job done But here are the head and base gasket areas. Not bad eh?

The piston was UGLY before the work I'm sure 'something' happened cause there was just too much gunk. Again, this took hours to clean up. Though I kinda wish I had gotten a new piston.. I'm fine with it, but it looks like ancient technology.. The ones listed on Procycle.us look really pretty.. Just didn't want to have to use higher octane.. But I replace the rings and clips too. Getting the piston into the cylinder with the new rings was tougher than it looked... But mission accomplished.

So after several weeks of driving, I got back on Anna and started doing some riding.. Not one leak anywhere! I'm so pumped! Again, thanks to my DR650 Yahoo group folks for helping.. Though there looked to be some leaking now coming from the clutch cover gasket! I wasn't entirely suprised since I left it exposed for several weeks and I'm sure that affected it somehow. Not a major leak, but I wanted to make sure it was perfect. So an order into Procycle again and I get the gasket within a few days. With my confidence in the engine work, I tore into this quite quickly with youthful abandon and got it done in a few hours. Again, I had to clean the clutch cover from the gasket mess But at least I have a method now that makes it a little easier to remove. So after the work, I let it sit for a for a day so I can make sure the loctite cures and is solid. I take her out for a spin once this is done and it looks solid. Now I have to start packing and prepping for the trip

Gosh I always have lots to do before a trip.. I gotta fix that... I had tons to do.. But because of that hell I was in for a few months, I had to catch up on a few things.. So I gotta take care of a few things just so I won't feel guilty

I was supposed to have left at 8am.. Didn't leave until 11:30am.. Oh well, at least I'm going... I washed and cleaned Anna before getting started.. It's a tradition of mine.. To wash my bike before a trip..

A happy face.. Yes

Anna all cleaned up and looking to hit the road.. Man, that bag was heavy

I decided to head down Highway 101 since I was leaving so late.. It's still scenic and I figured I'd stop in the Santa Barbara area.. I didn't want to spend 10 hours riding today Largely an uneventful ride.. Weather was in the low 60's most of the time with it reaching probably the low 80's before getting to Goleta where I ended up. I did notice a little oil leak at one of the oil-pipe junctures... And I was suspect to whether I had tightened that bolt enough. So I stopped at a station, tightened it up just a nudge.. A hundred miles later.. SPOTLESS!

My Adventures

Trip through the American Northwest - Maybe - 2010
San Francisco to San Diego Quickly - 2010
My First Big Mexican Ride - 2009
Northern California for 4 Days - 2008

Current Ride
Suzuki 2002 - DR650 (Anna)

MSF BRC Graduate '07

motosaint screwed with this post 06-02-2010 at 12:33 PM
motosaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,246
Those old beasts just keep on thumping! Let's hope the fix holds.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
motosaint OP
LTLYLTL!

My night in Goleta.

I've stayed in Goleta plenty of times.. My last time being back on New Years eve on my way back from my Mexico trip.. Goleta is about 10 miles north of Santa Barbara, but the university is right there. Nice college town, quiet and clean. I also like the area cause if I need anything, I can load up here.

So I find the Motel 6 that I usually go to when I'm in town and thankfully, I don't have to pay the holiday-rate since today was Memorial Day. They raise the nightly rate $10/night cause it's summer time. It's one of the more expensive Motel 6's, but location is great and I'm exhausted. I don't want any hassles or surprises tonight.

After a bath (it's one of my Beta male sins) and a nap, I head out for dinner. It's about 8pm and it's quiet outside..

Goleta at 8pm.

It's usually this quiet any day of the week except maybe Friday and Saturday. I was thinking of riding to Santa Barbara, but I was just too beat. It's time to forage for food..

I swear.. Denny's should be paying me This place is just a 10-minute walk up the street and it's open..

Hey, where's that smoke coming from?

My treat for a long day...

And I didn't feel guilty that it was over 700 calories.. Oh yeah, that didn't include the English muffin either

I'm learning how to take better pictures and use all the functionality out of the cheap and seemingly crappy camera I have. I'm playing with it's functions.. Somehow, I liked this picture and it has an artsy feel to it.

I take my education seriously! Seriously, if I'm by myself, you'll always catch me reading something while I feast.

Finished with dinner and I spot this outside.. I always associate gun-shops on the main strip to be sort of redneck'sh.. I would never figured from this town.. Last town I would suspect this.. BTW, I have absolute no problem with guns There's just a place for everything...

My home for the night.. Highly recommended.

This Motel 6 is especially good. I love the iPod lookin' entertainment center There's even a table/work area not pictured here.

I really shouldn't be such a mess when I unpack.. I'll do better next time

It's about 12:30am before I hit the sack.. Now time to recuperate for tomorrow!

My Adventures

Current Ride

MSF BRC Graduate '07
Old 06-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #4
motosaint OP
LTLYLTL!

Day 2; A So - So Day.

Got up at a reasonable hour quite refreshed actually. Yesterday was a long day, but I felt good about it.

Goleta at 8:30am.. Not much different than at night time..

I hadn't started by ride report yet so I thought I can bang it out during breakfast... But where is there WiFi and breakfast together?

Denny's!!! I bet most if not all of you didn't know that Dennys offers free WiFi. Most of the time they don't advertise it. I think they are still implementing it chain-wide and don't want people to expect it everywhere they go.. Or maybe they don't want people to sit in their restaurants all day either.. Either way, it's very convenient.

I'm there for an hour and really, I only finish about 2/3rds of it Maybe only half. I think the Manager of the place is eyeing me kinda funny.. So I think it may be time to go I hate when that happens.. There's a group of women that have been here longer than me..

So I go back to my hotel room and spend probably another hour finishing the day's report. I BARELY make it out of my room by checkout time of noon. It just took a long time for me to get everything ready.

I wanted to check oil-level and for any leaking.. NADA Everything looks so clean and 100 miles after tightening an oil channel, it looks all good. Yay Anna!

For 300 miles, she looks awfully clean.. Oh yeah, that's an In 'N Out sticker on my gas tank.. Love that place.. Went there for lunch on Day 1 of the trip.. But they need better stickers.. I've only had that one for about 3 months and it's bubbling really bad.

All dressed up and ready to go. I'm wishing I used panniers instead of my duffel bag. To get it setup where the bag isn't blocking the taillight is a real hassle. I also spent a good 30 minutes trying to figure out which hotel I'll be staying at tonight. I really like La Pensione hotel in Little Italy. The location rocks and it's really cute. I didn't know before , but there is also a Motel 6 on the other side of Little Italy. There's a $30 difference between the two if you include the $10 parking fee at La Pensione. Oh well, I got about 200 miles to figure it out.

The weather is pretty good today. It's overcast, but warm. It's 12:45pm when I get on the road and traffic is totally fine. When I reach Ventura County, the sky opens up and it's a perfect blue with some high clouds. It's a great day. But I'm nervous about getting stuck in rush-hour traffic in the afternoon. Not sure which time it starts.. I DO NOT want to be stuck on Highway 5 during rush hour.. It sucks

Okay, rush-hour is already in swing by 3pm.. But a silver-lining appears...

Jerry's Famous Deli! I love this place! It's very NY-style Jewish Deli.. The last few times I've been in the area, I've been trying to make it in here.. Food is really good and generous servings. It's also a really great place to go to if you're having a good time late at night Just remember.. Take the Balboa exit

They've cleaned the place up.. It didn't look nearly this nice the last time I visited.

See what I mean by late?

The menu is also a lot more slick. They have like 10 pages for the menu! Last time, it took an 11 x 14 double-sided sheet to fill their menu..

It's very comfortable inside.. Lots of Hollywood industry-types come in here. Lots of old-money too. The restaurant is located in Encino which is a major Jewish community.. If you've watched the original Karate Kid movie, you see this notoriety between people in Encino and Reseda, which is in the opposite direction of the Balboa exit.. Reseda is quite poor.. It always weirds me out how much difference 3 - 5 miles can make in an area.

Oh yeah, that's my waitress.. Really nice lady.. But she reminded me of this bi#%@ that I know at home, so it was kinda fun having her serve me...

A Mexican-Chicken Caesar salad. Hmm, didn't look like the picture.. It was okay.. Way too much dressing.. I'm a little disapointed, but at least I got my Jerry's fix.. Now I can go.

Okay, gotta run and errand.. So I gotta continue the report in a few hours.. See you then!

My Adventures

Current Ride

MSF BRC Graduate '07
Old 06-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
ADV Fool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Allright, Another motosaint Report

Glad to see you back with another RR. Really enjoyed your last report of your trip throughout Mexico. I'll be standing by. . . . .

ADV Fool (Formerly ADV Randy)
2010 HD Ultra "Limited"
ADV Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
motosaint OP
LTLYLTL!

Part Two of the So-So Day.

My errand was in Tijuana.. No, nothing interesting.. Just my returning my tourist visa from last December. Took all of 5 minutes.. Took almost 2 hours to get back over the border So back to the report...

I left Jerry's Famous Deli at about 3:30pm.. I know I'm screwed.. Traffic was backing up for quite a bit before I got there and I know I still got a couple of hours ahead of me.. This morning's ride to San Diego should only take 3 hours... I've done 2.5 and I'm not even halfway there.

What I was wishing for.. Not getting stuck on the I-5 during rush-hour faded quickly.. It's bumper to bumper for miles. I'm lucky if I'm dong 40mph and finally, those awesome commuter lanes that become available the closer you get to San Diego.. You HAVE TO do 75mph so you don't piss people off behind you.. Normally I wouldn't be bothered.. But I know I'm needing a valve adjustment and the buzzing is a little annoying. Really, thumpers are no big deal to me... I sometimes averaged 90mph on my way back from Colorado last year.. Now THAT was fast

I get to Little Italy around 6:30pm and I'm wiped.. The traffic in the first half of the ride and the speed in the second half has done it for me. I really want to stay at La Pensione, but the cost is a little off-putting.. So I check out Motel 6.. It's not bad.. I'm not thrilled by all the construction-related trucks in the lot but that's not the catcher... The planes coming into land at San Diego International are literally about 300 - 400' above the hotel I think it's kinda funny and entertaining.. But I'm not sure I'd feel that way late at night.. Plus the location at La Pensione is so perfect.. Okay, La Pensione it is.. Heck, I'm here to relax after all

I'm a little bummed that the hotel is going under renovation.. It's in a bit of a mess and there's noise. It's 7pm an they are still working... Not too bad, but not that great either.. I'm so tired, that I don't really care.. A shower and crash for a little while. And boy, did I crash.. I completely want to veg out and I don't want to leave the room for a while.. In fact, I don't get out until 10:30pm Though, that salad I had at Jerry's didn't sit well with me and I think that's bothering me.. But I'm still hungry. I need to find something to eat...

Not much open right now.. I find a little pizza place up the street.. I keep forgetting that actual European-immigrants ACTUALLY live and work here. The guy working here has a heavy Italian accent and it's a little difficult to understand him.. I order a couple slices.. He tells me that they are closing in 10 minutes.. But to take my time.. No problem. Cool.. Pizza is really good too.

I'm a little bummed.. It's been hard getting here, I'm spending more on a hotel that I wanted to and I 'm tired... But I remember a saying that I heard once... "When life hands you a lemon.. Make lemonade!" Yes.. I'm going to MAKE some fun!

I have my camera and I do some site seeing.. I've never been more than 4 blocks north of the hotel and I've never seen the wharf oddly enough.. Weird since I've been here several times already.. So here are some pictures and having some fun

By far one of the more eccentric Denny's I've seen.. There were a couple of businesses here.. You can see this place from several blocks away

One of the cool camera tricks I've learned... Not too shabby for a cheapy...

A little bit of the San Diego/Little Italy skyline..

I completely forgot about the timer function.. Here's with me on the wharf.. It was quite warm actually..

Another artsy-fartsy shot..

Another one.. I really like this one..

Okay.. I don't need to explain anything about this picture to those who really know me This was one of the big pluses to the Motel 6 I was thinking of going to.. Seriously, I didn't go in.. For many reasons... Oh yeah, and I found out on the Internet that it sucked..

There is a light-rail system that runs through the city.. And they run quite late.. There was a train that passed by around midnight.. Very cool.

Earlier when I was by the wharf and setting up picture shots.. A couple saw me and crossed the street. I thought that was a bit odd.. Not so unbelievable when I look at this picture

Look! I can disappear!

Okay, a nice, non-threatening pose

The pizza and diet coke I had earlier totally amp'd me up and I don't get to bed until 2:30am.. But I'm mentally fried.. Still, I had fun walking around and taking some funny pictures.. Scaring some people too Now I gotta get to bed and get to the border tomorrow... And return that damn tourist visa from December!

My Adventures

Current Ride

MSF BRC Graduate '07

motosaint screwed with this post 06-02-2010 at 02:34 PM
Old 06-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
motosaint OP
LTLYLTL!

Day 3; San Francisco - San Diego Quicky

Okay, now the main reason why I came to San Diego.. To return the damn Tourist Visa I got back in December. Really, I would've rather just let them charge the card for not returning the visa than making all this effort.. But since I may venture back through here again in the future . I didn't want to have any issue coming back through here.

Here's the cafe I hang out in the morning.. Okay, I feel a little tired.. But really, it's a 'happy' tired!

Check this out... My hotel is about 15 miles from the Mexican border.. It took me all of about 30 minutes to travel to the border, cross it and deal with immigration.. 30 minutes! There were like 2 people working in immigration and I was the only one in that whole office.. I was like "all this effort for 30 minutes?" I wonder why there was so little traffic coming into Mexico.. I thought there would be so much more.

Anna looked so pretty when I went to go get her.. I had to take a picture.

Here is a picture of Anna in the Immigration parking lot... I think I was parked in the second row... Last November, this lot was almost full.

I forgot how the lack of city planning there is in Mexico... I noticed I didn't hear any gunfire either. It was relatively quiet and peaceful. Just keep a lookout for those crazy cab drivers

Okay, I knew it was too good to be true.. It took me at least an hour just to get this close to the U.S. entrance of the border AND I was cutting through some traffic to do it. It would've taken me another hour at least if I was being a nice guy.

At least they know how to keep you entertained and informed.. The sign to the right was electronic and had lots of advertisements.. There was even a Mexican proctologist advertising that he specialized in "ano, colon and intestino" cancer. I leave that up to you to translate

It took me 1.5 - 2 hours to get back to Little Italy.. And I was haulin' ASS to get back.. It got so hot waiting in line and without hauling my duffel bag in the back, I was doing a lot of high-speed maneuvers In the right hands, a DR is pretty impressive

Yesterday really wiped me out and I didn't get much sleep the night before. I had shaved my head or face in a while and I wanted to be pampered.. I found this pretty cool barber shop up the street from the hotel.. I had to wait cause he was working on someone else already. Even though the shop is in a hip'sh area, it's still a 'real' barber shop.. Complete with Playboys and all other necessary men's magazines.. I did notice Penthouse and Hustler missing.. Not that I was 'reading' them.. Really I just bought a photography book from a shop down the street.. But I was still just too tired to engage my brain. I succumbed to my fatigue and listened in on the conversation the guys were having...

Okay, my image of San Diego may be a bit tainted... The guy getting his hair cut... I'd say upper 30's - low 40's, typical good-looking San Diego guy with just a bit of arrogance attached to him. Just a nudge. Could be a good guy to hang out with I guess.. So, he was saying how a lady-friend of his set him up with a friend of hers.. She was a knock-out and successful business woman.. He thought they had a nice time.. Not sure why he didn't ask for her phone number, but later asked his friend what her friend thought of him... Her friend said that he wasn't tall enough.. Okay, she is 5'9" and he is 6'.. We all laughed to the height issue and of course started talking about how he makes up for it in 'other' areas

I was just kidding about the 'tainted' I've heard MUCH worse in northern California and supposedly we're much less superficial. Heck, when I was on match.com, I read about MANY women who wanted a guy that was at least 6" taller than her. There are certain statements a woman can make that say VOLUMES about her.. Height requirements are one of them. Dude, that was probably just the tip of the iceberg with that woman.. Really, my chit-chats with the women I've met down here have been incredibly sweet.

When it's finally my time, I told him that I wanted my head and face shaved. It was advertised outside that they did that. He told me that the guy that has the chair next to his did that and he doesn't. I was bummed, but I was cool with the time I hanged out and the conversation.. It was all cool. The barber was around my age and when he saw that it was my motorcycle parked right in front of his shop, he quickly chatted up about it. Gosh, we probably talked for a good 30 minutes about each of our motorcycle adventures. Told him I went to Mexico for several weeks and how he wanted to do it. I was just like 'do it do it!'. Of course, he's a little concerned about leaving his motorcycle outside during a travel. Then his previous client came back and they went to do lunch. Looked like he'd rather do lunch with me and keep chatting about bikes. But he IS one of his regulars so...

I went back to the hotel, camped out in the cafe downstairs and got some work done. i consider myself 'traveling' and not on vacation. so I don't mind putting in some time for work. I try to limit it to 3 hours during the day and if I have some energy at night, maybe put in a few then too. I gotta figure out how I can make this work for when I'm on longer travels and need to develop a system.. To have the right combination of work, travel and fun. And not to over-extend myself so I don't feel I'm putting too much pressure and sacrificing the travel too much. I met a Canadian couple in Mexico last time and they did the same.. They worked at night in their hotel room. They were totally cool with it.. Oh yes, and they were on a BMW motorbike going as far south as they could before they had to get back in February. They were a great couple.

After a few hours, I went back to my room to take a nap and shower before dinner... I saw this really fun-looking Italian restaurant up the street and the prices looked reasonable. I love shrimp and ordered this.. Shrimp with spaghetti.. I wondered about the tin-foil and the waiter said that the dish I ordered.. Is cooked in tin foil to bring out a certain flavors.. I did feel the spices were a little grittier.. Interesting.

This was really good.. I highly recommend it.. Good pricing, great service and the food is very good.. Potentially a good smoochy-koochy spot. I'm glad I went.

I didn't get to see the pier during the day.. So here are some pictures I took.. The lighting was really cool..

Oh yes, there is a naval base here... Sorry folks.. But I think allowing those sailboats so close to these ships pose a SERIOUS security hazard. At least it was a pretty picture.

Here is a public administration building.. I thought it was pretty cool...

Other side of the building.. I risked life and limb for this shot

Shot from the pier... I think it's over-developed.. But that's just me...

A shot of the light-rail and Amtrak station... Way cool if I can take Amtrak from Oakland straight to Little Italy.. I'm going to have to research this some more

I was researching real estate in the area.. This is one of the places that had units available.. God, I'd love to have something here...

My hotel room at night.. It's small but cozy.

I had a call that evening so I went to hang in my hotel room for a little while.. Afterwards, I went back out to get some desert... This frozen-yogurt place across the street was awesome.. This cup of vanilla and strawberry yogurt with fruit cost me less than $2

It was about 10:30pm by now and thought it was time check eMail and watch "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad" on my computer. I was thinking of going to a bar and drinking myself into oblivion.. But everything was dying out and I didn't want to go to the Gas Lamp area with all the tourist..

That's it for now... Gotta get some work done now!

My Adventures

Current Ride

MSF BRC Graduate '07

motosaint screwed with this post 06-03-2010 at 10:31 AM
Old 06-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
waltwhitman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by motosaint
Got up at a reasonable hour quite refreshed actually. Yesterday was a long day, but I felt good about it.

Goleta at 8:30am.. Not much different than at night time..

I hadn't started by ride report yet so I thought I can bang it out during breakfast... But where is there WiFi and breakfast together?
cool pics
waltwhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
motosaint OP
LTLYLTL!

1200 miles and it did!

I'm so happy this was all good. Other than the very-minor oil leak that required a bolt to have a nudge of tightening, it was all good. Everything else was awesome. I need to do a valve adjustment tomorrow and it will be all perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Those old beasts just keep on thumping! Let's hope the fix holds.

My Adventures

Current Ride

MSF BRC Graduate '07
Old 06-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #10
motosaint OP
LTLYLTL!

Days 4 - 5; The Road Home

Okay, I don't want to leave San Diego.. Everything about Little Italy is amazing.. The people, food, architecture, scenery and the weather. Just amazing. I have to make enough bank someday to afford a little condo here for my escape spot. I might be able to live here and be happy..

Adios Little Italy It was a great two days and you know I'll be back soon. I check out of my hotel at noon and it's about 12:30pm before I get moving. I'm going to visit some relatives today and it's not a big jump.. Only about 2.5 hours to the San Fernando Valley on Highway 5. I should just barely miss rush-hour by the time I get close to their place...

A largely uneventful ride.. There is some traffic along the way which gives me the opportunity to open my visor and enjoy the fresh wind.. Um, well not really.. I can't leave my visor open for more than a few minutes cause my eyes start to sting Yes folks, it's the freakin' pollution! Seriously, I don't know why Angelians don't do something about it... At least I make it to my relatives house safe and sound..

I leave the next day at around 1:30pm. A little later than I wanted to.. But some unexpected guests came by and we had to chat. Totally worth it. I'm just a little concerned about making it to Santa Barbara before rush hour.. 1.5 hours away. If I can do that, the ride should be relatively quick... Not the most fantastic ride... But I take Highway 5 up to Highway 126 to cut across the valley and head over to Ventura County. My goal is to make it to Paso Robles and check out some of the wineries. According to Google, it should take about 2.5 hours if I go straight on Highway and cut accross. But I'm taking a slightly different route. How much longer should it take. Right?

Highway 126 is only about 44 miles, but it's pretty cool. There's farmland and wineries along the way. Even some interest places to go eat it looks like. A nice ride at least.

Along Highway 101, it's seriously overcast all the way to Santa Barbara.. Could it be this way the whole way? That would be weird.. But I keep thinking "With all the money Santa Barbara has, they probably bought nice weather".. Sure enough, it TOTALLY clears up for SB! It's absolutely beautiful and where I intend to get some lunch. I'm sure there is a geographical reason why it's clear.. I just thought it was funny.

I saw this place out of the corner of my eye.. It's almost hidden.. It looks really cool and there's a good number of people inside. Gotta check this out.

They even had motorcycle parking

Okay, the items on here are really inexpensive. But there's a quality to how even the menu looks. It's just not written down in some half-ass handwriting.. Lots of potential here. I get the tri-tip tacos...

Okay, I didn't take one of the food-shots that I do. But it was pretty good. Even their hot-sauce was of respectable hotness. I'd definitely come here again. Nice crowd. You know if rich people go to a cheap place to eat, it's gotta be good.

I check Google before my phone dies and it says that I'm 2.5 hours away from Paso Robles! This sucks... But I thought it might take a 'little' longer.. I won't get there until 6pm at the earliest...

Just a few miles north of Santa Barbara, the winds pick up. It's usually breezy - windy when heading north on highway 101 in the afternoon in this area.. But it's really bad.. My head is getting knocked around and my hands are getting tired holding onto the handlebars so tightly. I have to concentrate just to hold a straight line. The wind actually turns one of my mirrors. It's a mirror that gives me problems. But still...

Considering the wind, I make it to Paso Robles at 6pm. On time amazingly enough. But I'm BEAT! I need gas and there's a Denny's across the street. I'm debating whether to get a room here or to keep going north. I really wanted to check out Paso Robles for it's wineries and back-country roads.. After dinner, I check out some of the hotels and the minimum cost is $74/night. Sorry, that's just a little too much. I dread it, but I head back onto the road and back into that wind.

I just don't want to deal with it anymore.. 1.5 hours up the road, I stop in Salinas. I'm about 2 hours from home, but I'm exhausted. If I can find a cheap hotel room, I'll take it.. I was going to stay at Motel 6, but there was just a little too much ghetto (didn't want to deal with noise), and there was this really weird dude just down the hallway from me. So I decide to go to the Days Inn across the street. It was only $7/night more and it included Internet. So really, it was only $3 - $4/night more than Motel 6 cause Motel 6 charges extra for Internet access. I think it's pretty comparable to Motel 6, so I'll keep these guys as a backup. Hey, a few bucks here and there makes a difference over days/weeks!

Well the night was uneventful, which is good. And the weather looks pretty good. Not much of a breeze that I can tell.. Actually, it's kinda hot out.. I'm starting to sweat and I haven't even gotten on the bike yet.

Anna has been completely awesome! She needs a valve-adjustment when we get home and I want to add a smudgen of oil, but that's it. The engine work I did was first-class.. Replace that stupid mirror and all will be good

I like to stop off at the infamous Alice's before I go home when I'm coming back from a trip.. So I decide to take a way that I haven't before.. Up Highway 101 to 85 North, then up Saratoga Avenue, 35 North... Saratoga Avenue is actually a really nice twisty road all the way up to 35.. Completely lucky that it landed me directly on 35 which goes directly to Alices..

And there are a TON of bikers on the road today... You know it's summer time. I got a 'Ricks' meal and hung out for a while. God, I should've taken a picture with my server.. She was cute as a button.. And all of the servers were wearing tank tops and shorts Okay, you know where my mind is....

Add 110 miles because I reset the odometer at that mile and you got an idea of how long the trip was.. About 1200 miles. 300 miles a day.. That's just a little too much for me... And some of those days were HARD... Goleta to San Diego, San Fernando to Paso Robles.. HARD days.. When I got home, I slept for about 3 - 4 hours.

But I'm so glad I got away. Especially when I go to San Diego. Thinking on the road and visiting San Diego. Puts things in perspective, prioritizing things, thinking about my future goals and wants... Re-energizes me!

Even if it's a short ride.. And it may be hard.. Just do it! You'll be surprised how much better you'll be at the end...

My Adventures

Current Ride

MSF BRC Graduate '07
Old 12-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #11
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,167
Hey man, I cross the border every day on the bike, and anything more than 10 minutes is just crazy. If you do this again, just go to the front. They're used to it. Just sayin. Thanks for ride report!!
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:28 PM   #12
motosaint OP
LTLYLTL!

Thanks for the advice.

I guess the regulars are used to motorcycles cutting through to the front and they can care less. I usually will wait in line for something like this out of courtesy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Hey man, I cross the border every day on the bike, and anything more than 10 minutes is just crazy. If you do this again, just go to the front. They're used to it. Just sayin. Thanks for ride report!!

My Adventures

Current Ride

MSF BRC Graduate '07