User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
reddogguy1 OP
Flying Under The Radar

Oddometer: 442
Wicked Cali PCH Here I Come!

Long time, no post. My wife said if I refurb the house prior to Oct that I could do something I really wanted. Late September I'm doing something different, for me. I'm jumping on a plane and heading to Cali to ride the PCH. I am going to fly from Texas to Cali and rent a bike in San Jose and ride for 5 days with strangers. I am going to meet up with a group who are all renting Harleys for the trip. I have booked the trip, and nothing else.

Bike rentals are at eaglerider.com. What bike? I have had the DRZ400, Rode the KLR to Colorado, had the FZ6, and now ride the WR2. Not crazy about the 800# bike at all. They do rent the GS. I don't care at all what everyone else rides, what do you think would be a cool steed for the 5 days. I definitely plan on purchasing a heavier street commute when I return. I was thinking the Strom or the GS... I will have a ride report, just thought I'd get it started with the bike choice.

Anything a must do on the PCH?

Let me know, cause I'm gonna drink, smoke, & eat it all. Matter of fact, I'm gonna put it all over the place like a dog out of it's kennel...
Old 06-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
reddogguy1 OP
Flying Under The Radar

Great suggestions, keep 'em coming! Thanks
Old 06-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
reddogguy1 OP
Flying Under The Radar

thread moved
Old 06-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
Ironheadziggy76
What the hell?

Oddometer: 491
I did the same thing back in 07 but rented from a guy in Monterey. Be sure and stop for fish and chips at Lucia Lodge. Great food, but reasonable prices. Food is awesome at the Ventana Inn, but a little more pricey. On this road, any bike is a good bike.

Ironheadziggy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Little town of Casmalia, on the north border of Vandenberg Air Force Base. West side of 101/1. The Hitching Post there has the best steaks anywhere!
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
chilipeppernorm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
San Jose BMW rents various BMW models. Harley is a fine choice if you remember that you'll be limited on the twisty bits, and depending what section of Hwy 1 you're riding the can be lots of curves with elevation changes. Also, be prepared for some significant wind as you're on the ocean. Likewise, sand and lots of ass dragging land yachts. What I'm saying is the Coastal Hwy favors bikes that corner, brake, and accelerate well. Gas up at every opportunity, and layer your clothes as it can be hot or you can have fog and freeze your ass off all in the span of a days ride. Enjoy.
chilipeppernorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
killfile
49/50

Oddometer: 353
Are you planning to ride the entire PCH/1? or just the northern half? Most of the pictures you see are of the southern california 1, but the roads in northern CA are much better in my opinion.

I've ridden the North PCH/1 with everything I've got. DRZ size is great, and my 620 Multistrada is PERFECT. A liter bike is overkill, and a R1200GS would be a little beastly there, I definitely wouldn't want a Harley. In the Southern PCH/1 areas there are a number of spots where you HAVE to jump on the freeway and wring the neck of the DRZ or 620.

The perfect bike would probably be a F800GS? if you ride the whole thing. If you are just in the north, you could happily go smaller and more flickable. Try to stop in Point Reyes Station around lunch time or breakfast. Some good eats there and you'll have plenty of other riders to chat with.
killfile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
reddogguy1 OP
Flying Under The Radar

just had a brief meet w/ the guys, will post iteniary soon, then let the suggestions flow like wine from Capistrano. Leaving for Disney Thursday