User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2015, 11:12 AM   #1
Peels OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
HELLO & help with gas hog 1150r.

Hey folks. I ride a 2002 R1150R it just clicked 20k miles. I Never joined this lovely site, because, I never really considered myself an advrider. More of a poser/garage adventurer. LOL But...EVERY single R bike google search I do eventually leads me here! LOADS of info.

so...well Iv'e been riding it a ton more, Plus I have a 1000 mile round trip NEXT weekend. so I'm here now.

Over On the 1150 site, I have been working on sorting out low MPG. I consistently average in the low LOW 30's with normal commuting 90% highway. 32 right now. Its never achieved what others report. Best Ive got was snuck up and kissed 40mpg on a FULL Highway trip. And after reading others MPG reports, It's absolutely driving me bats**t crazy, and I'm obsessing over it now. For my trip I wanted to see 40, but Im budgeting 35. which is sad to me.

I'm looking for specifically "what would you do next?" Without adding parts preferably. something is seemingly wrong with it, I don't need mods. If i put $ into it, it ill be to repair it.

list already done/checked in the last 3 months.

- brakes ruled out, had a draggy hot rear disc(abs hacked out last weekend-sick of the whine, lines checked and flushed)no drag.
-valves adjusted to within c-hair tolerance of spec
-TB so synced(4 times), pubic lice wouldn't see the difference.
-cleaned screws, and injectors.
-cleaned throttle bodies
-Motronic reset many times.
-3923 autolite spark plugs
-canister removed.
-air filter newer, but cleaned.
-QD replaced.
-fuel pumping fine
-engine/trans/FD oil changed
-also, lets not discuss RPM. I rode this thing like a sissy little b**ch for a month and achieved same results.

OH yesterday, in a haze of frustration, I pulled the yellow CCP and reset motronic again. I expect it to not change, or get worse but I had to try something LOL

Sort of lost, here.

AGAIN, thanks for the wealth of info Iv'e already gleaned. And for any future help. I love this motorcycle, I want to keep it.

-Eric

Peels screwed with this post 05-22-2015 at 11:19 AM
Peels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #2
Mr.JAJA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
2004 GS1150 Adv

With knobby's and riding easy I get 36-38mil/gal. At 280 the light comes on and I still have 1 1/2 gal left. rune out at 330 miles.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:02 PM   #3
Peels OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.JAJA View Post
With knobby's and riding easy I get 36-38mil/gal. At 280 the light comes on and I still have 1 1/2 gal left. rune out at 330 miles.
Cool, you have 8 gallons, I have 5 lol. that would be sweet.

thanks for the info.

Im riding straight roads. commute is 11 miles. 90% highway. 2 stop signs. IT should be better, IMHO.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:13 PM   #4
race24x
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Peels,
I am with you. I have the same issue. I have the Adventure model but I have been getting 32 with a best of 35. I do not have knobby tires they are more llike 80/20 street. I have the Cat delete on mine. Wednesday I ran out of gas because I thought it had a 9 gallon tank and I didnt beleive the light. Turns out even out of fuel I could only get 8 gallons in it. Anyway ran out dry at 275 miles. I dont drive like a sissy, but I dont beat it bad. Why do I hear about people getting 48 MPG and I cant even get close. I live in Maine so it cant be stop and go driving... Mine has new Air Filter new plugs. I havent gone as far as you have with trying to find it, but it sure would be nice. I dont have the aluminum boxes on it right now and I have the stock windscreen.
race24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
Peels OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by race24x View Post
Peels,
I am with you. I have the same issue. I have the Adventure model but I have been getting 32 with a best of 35. I do not have knobby tires they are more llike 80/20 street. I have the Cat delete on mine. Wednesday I ran out of gas because I thought it had a 9 gallon tank and I didnt beleive the light. Turns out even out of fuel I could only get 8 gallons in it. Anyway ran out dry at 275 miles. I dont drive like a sissy, but I dont beat it bad. Why do I hear about people getting 48 MPG and I cant even get close. I live in Maine so it cant be stop and go driving... Mine has new Air Filter new plugs. I havent gone as far as you have with trying to find it, but it sure would be nice. I dont have the aluminum boxes on it right now and I have the stock windscreen.
yessir. it's quite frustrating. especially being stock. the reason this reared its head, originally..... I pined for, then eventually bought the bike, got excited, told my buddy with a Harley, Id get 200 out of a tank (4+ gallons)

We went riding, I had to stop, when the harley didnt. My ego was destroyed.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:57 PM   #6
FearedFactor
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I have the same motorcycle, 02 R1150R 42k + miles. I consistently get high 30s to low 40s mpg. How fast I drive is the biggest factor in my fuel economy. If you're riding with a big touring wind screen and panniers then low 30s sounds about right.

I've been playing around with different grades of gasoline to see if one gives better performance than the next, but I'm not looking for mpgs.

It sounds like you have sorted through the common gremlins, here's what I would check next: wheel bearings, compression check, final drive binding, clogged catalytic converter and clogged fuel injectors.

Run it for a few more thousand miles, at 42k miles I consider mine halfway broken in, yours is a baby for what these bikes can do.
FearedFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:04 PM   #7
Peels OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearedFactor View Post
I have the same motorcycle, 02 R1150R 42k + miles. I consistently get high 30s to low 40s mpg. How fast I drive is the biggest factor in my fuel economy. If you're riding with a big touring wind screen and panniers then low 30s sounds about right.

I've been playing around with different grades of gasoline to see if one gives better performance than the next, but I'm not looking for mpgs.

It sounds like you have sorted through the common gremlins, here's what I would check next: wheel bearings, compression check, final drive binding, clogged catalytic converter and clogged fuel injectors.

Run it for a few more thousand miles, at 42k miles I consider mine halfway broken in, yours is a baby for what these bikes can do.
thank you feared factor. great reply.

-injectors are clean, got a rig to do that.

-final drive binding, wouldn't that be clunky? or is there a bearing in there that can go?

-wheel bearings....sound smooth and clean. to me....at least

-clogged cat.... is that common?

-compression check...I dont wanna know.

low mpg or not, Ill be running it. I just know I'm pissing away $, and it makes me crazy. even though I love the ride so much. I usually forget about it when riding, just think about it on days I need gas LOL

Old 05-22-2015, 02:05 PM   #8
race24x
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I will try to change my driving style a bit and see if that helps. I do normally drive 65-70 MPH on most roads. It is a great country drive in where the speed limit is 55 most of the way to work.
race24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:14 PM   #9
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 17,740
My 1100 gets upper 30s ( 38ish) mpg most of the time, I have gotten as low as 27, and as high as 41-43 I think ( poor memory)

also using the speedo on the bike, is sort of inaccurate for this, its off by a decent margin ( a real odometer will probably make your actual mileage even worse!)
Old 05-22-2015, 02:42 PM   #10
Peels OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
My 1100 gets upper 30s ( 38ish) mpg most of the time, I have gotten as low as 27, and as high as 41-43 I think ( poor memory)

also using the speedo on the bike, is sort of inaccurate for this, its off by a decent margin ( a real odometer will probably make your actual mileage even worse!)
MY speedo is off about 2 mph at 90. :/ gps....

Hey.... "NW arkansas" is where IM headed next weekend. :)

After that trip, Ill decide if its worth tearing into deeper.... if im in the 40's highway(not doing 100mph of course), ill feel much better.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:27 PM   #11
thirsty 1
Rider

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post

The r1100r speedo drive on a 1150 gets this closer to real life correct?
Old 05-22-2015, 04:14 PM   #12
FearedFactor
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Compression test could determine if you have bad rings, poor valve seat etc etc. Easy test to eliminate bad problems.

Bad catalytic converter can happen although it is uncommon.

Some other things I thought about was a bad O2 sensor and throttle position sensor. Higher mileage oilhead have problems with the bearings in the throttle bodies but you shouldn't have that issue.

If you were closer to south Georgia I'd say come on by and we'll swap out parts to trouble shoot. My r-r is down waiting on parts right now.
FearedFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:45 PM   #13
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 17,740
thirsty,

I've read about correcting the speedo, I think
I am not concerned enough really to care

as far as the compression check and plugged cat, to me if the bike is making power like it should I would not even bother with those checks....
Old 05-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #14
jsb223
ADV Rookie

Oddometer: 1,233
Did you buy the bike new?

Any ECM mods or power commander?

Exhaust mods?

What kind of windscreen?

Luggage?

How big are you?

Buying your gas at the same place all the time?

And pure gas stations near to try running sober?

I use 40mpg for my trips calculations as I generally get better
fully loaded GSA 200lb rider plus 100lb gear and riding like a jack rabbit.

My worst highway mileage was blasting down the IH at speeds
of (edited for content) well ridiculous. 38mpg
jsb223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:26 PM   #15
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 240
Same problem.

I have exactly the same problem -- 2002 R1150R, no wind screen, always has the side cases on, about 160# rider, consistently gets 28-31mpg. That just seems really low to me.
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote