mcmann OP
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,690
New 2015 Versys 650 LT/ABS

Hopefully, we can start a new Versy LT model thread:

Current ETA in the U.S. Feb 2015.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8ZBSFZSvY

http://www.kawasaki.com/Press/Releas...VERSYS-650-ABS

The Kawasaki Versys 650 has seen a long list of revisions for 2015, from its styling to its engine, and is being offered in both LT and ABS versions. Some of the revisions are directly aimed at quelling the noticeable vibrations of prior models, primarily rubber-mounting the engine and using rubber-isolated handlebars. Dynamically, the 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT and 650 ABS are carbon copies, the LT version receiving Kawasaki Quick Release hard saddlebags and hand guards in order to bolster its touring resume. The saddlebags reportedly offer 28-liters of storage.

The 649cc Parallel Twin of the Versys is inherited from the Ninja 650 and reportedly has been tuned for greater torque. This is accomplished by changes to the ECU and a new one-piece exhaust aimed to boost power in the upper ranges. The 2015 Versys 650 LT/ABS also receives a new fuel pump and Kawasaki Air Management System radiator air duct system. The latest 650 Versys also runs a bigger 5.5-gallon tank, up a half-gallon from 2014.

In the suspension department, the rear sees a new KYB shock with a remote preload adjuster while an adjustable Showa fork supports the front. Damping and spring functions are split between the fork tubes to provide the adjustability and to shave a little weight. The outer fork tubes are also longer than before in an effort to improve rigidity on the front end. Additionally, the 2015 Versys 650 received a new subframe to go along with its rear suspension in order to increase the payload it can support. In the case of the 2015 Versys 650 LT, the subframe supports the hard saddlebags.

In the braking department, Kawasaki went with new Nissin block-style calipers and brake pads. The master cylinders are new as well and Kawi bumped up the size of the rear disc, too. ABS comes standard on both versions while the bike is shod in different rubber in the form of a set of Dunlop Sportsmax D222 tires.

The fresh styling starts with a new cowling and twin side-by-side headlights that replace the former stacked set. The new design of the front fairing includes a chin spoiler under the headlights to create more downforce at higher speeds and air passages on the side cowling to redirect air around the rider. Kawasaki says the windshield is now almost twice the size as before and can be adjusted up by 2.4-inches sans tools. Footpegs on the 2015 Versys LT/ABS are 15mm lower and 20mm further forward in comparison to last year’s model. The tail has been tweaked as well and outfitted with a new LED taillight.

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS Specifications
Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder parallel twin
Displacement: 649cc
Bore x stroke: 83 x 60mm
Compression ratio: 10.8:1
Cooling: Liquid
Fuel injection: DFI with two 38mm Keihin throttle bodies
Ignition: TCBI with electronic advance
Transmission: Six-speed with positive neutral finder
Final drive: Sealed chain
Frame: Double pipe diamond frame constructed from high-tensile steel
Rake / trail: 25 degrees / 4.3 in.
Wheelbase: 55.7 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 41mm hydraulic telescopic fork with stepless adjustable rebound and preload / 5.9 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: Single offset laydown shock with remote adjustable spring preload / 5.7 in.
Front tire: 120/70 ZR17
Rear tire: 160/60 ZR17
Front brake: Dual 300mm petal-style rotors with two-piston calipers and ABS
Rear brake: Single 250mm petal-style rotor with single-piston caliper and ABS
Overall length: 85.2 in.
Overall width: 33.1 in.
Overall height: 55.1 in. (windshield low) / 57.1 in. (windshield raised)
Seat height: 33.1 in.
Curb weight: 476 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 5.5 gal.
Colors: Candy Lime Green, Pearl Stardust White
Warranty: 12 months
Optional Kawasaki Protection Plus: 12, 24, 36, and 48-month plans are available
Accessories:
The Kawasaki Genuine Accessories program is available at authorized Kawasaki dealers. The range of options includes KQRTM (Kawasaki Quick Release) 28-liter Hard Saddlebags with the Kawasaki One Key system, as well as a new KQR 47-liter Top Case (with the same One Key system), which can accommodate two full-face helmets and can be used alone or with saddlebags. There is also an optional LED Light Bar, a 12v DC Outlet to power electronics, Grip Heaters, a low Gel Seat, Tank Bag, Knee Pads, Frame Sliders, Windshield and a Gear Position Indicator, to name some of the items offered as Kawasaki Genuine Accessories.

At $8,699 . . . Too good to pass up. Ordered a white LT:

'14 V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure "The Train"

mcmann screwed with this post 12-02-2014 at 11:15 AM
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Congrats. I was hoping they'd go the other way and maker it lighter and more sporty, along w/the whole smoother, more efficient theme. Alas, they made their choice. I suspect it'll be an awesomely good, understated and underappreciated bike. I loved mine and found them much preferable to the Wee, especially on the street.

Good luck and keep us posted.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,871
Very nice. Great looking bike.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Looks great. I've been "this" close to purchasing a Versys a couple times. Test road one and thought the handling was superb for a bike in this price range. It seems like the jury is unanimous that it's a great commuter and lite tourer that leaves everyone feeling it's worth 10-15% more than the price tag.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
Schroeder
Schroeder

Oddometer: 18
I really like this bike! would love to test ride one when they come out.
Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
JoshM
2015 Wee-Strom

Oddometer: 151
Woohoo... they finally released pricing!
$7999 for the "base" model is superb. It's going to be a tough decision between the Weestrom and Versys when it comes to my next purchase in a few months.
Which leads to my next question... when's the release date??

JoshM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #7
JoshM
2015 Wee-Strom

Versys Forum has two guys with confirmation from separate dealers expecting 1000s in January. Hopefully 650s will be around that same time frame as well. Or earlier...?

Old 11-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,695
i like this bike. it seems Kawasaki finally figured the Versys out and went with the tall sportbike aesthetic. this bike looks good, and sleek. the last one is frumpy even by last generation standards. or any standard. just look at the thing. i mean all due respect to owners, but seriously, folks

the new bike is much better looking imo. it looks sporty and kind of badass

Old 11-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #9
mcmann OP
Motorcycle Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshM View Post
Woohoo... they finally released pricing!
$7999 for the "base" model is superb. It's going to be a tough decision between the Weestrom and Versys when it comes to my next purchase in a few months.
Which leads to my next question... when's the release date??
My local dealer was guessing by the end of the month for the 650 LT. He received his order forms this morning . . . I rode down at 9:00 to put a deposit on a white LT.

It looks and sounds like they made some nice improvements.

I tried to make my last V into an Adventure-Style bike via spokes and 19" front wheel . . . Which messed it up for the paved curves. I bought a Wee2 for Adventure rides, the V is my mid size Sport tourer.

My second V:

My first V:

mcmann screwed with this post 11-05-2014 at 04:54 PM
Old 11-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
JoshM
2015 Wee-Strom

Well, I hope you're able to get your hands on one. I'd like see a review from someone who owns a Wee-strom and '15 Versys. Besides, my PCX won't be paid off until late Dec.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #11
Jeephoto
Low Post Old-Timer

Oddometer: 430
I was ready to pull the trigger on a holdover '13 V650 but I wanted ABS. Since I saw the white '15 LT with the new fairing design and other touring upgrades, I can't wait to get my hands on one. I'm looking for better road/street capability for commuting & light touring than my KLR650 gives.
'99 KLR650 (soon to be For Sale)
Jeephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
My first V:

I kind of miss that bike. And the 2011 I had.
Fireman1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #13
mcmann OP
Motorcycle Maniac

Yep . . . I keep coming back to V's & Wee's . . . enjoying my FZ too . . . I think they will make a nice set of bikes for retirement . . .

mcmann screwed with this post 11-05-2014 at 07:39 PM
Old 11-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #14
Jeephoto
Low Post Old-Timer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
Yep . . . I keep coming back to V's & Wee's . . . enjoying my FZ too . . . I think they will make a nice set of bikes for retirement . . .

I thought you were considering the new Yamaha FJ09? What changed your mind?

For the past couple of days I've been back-and-forth between the FJ09 triple and the Versys 650 LT. But I'm now leaning toward the Kaw because it looks like you get more "bang for your buck".
'99 KLR650 (soon to be For Sale)
Jeephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #15
mcmann OP
Motorcycle Maniac

Since I already have a FZ and really enjoy the super light weight . . . I decided to try the new V. Plus, it is definitely the most bang for the buck.

The V has a beafier rear frame and plenty of zip for me. I really enjoyed my last two . . .

My FZ-09 OEM rear rack has a maximum load limit of 5kg. Which is why I only use soft bags on my FZ.
The FJ-09 uses virtually the same light weight frame . . . with additional support for hard bags . . . has a warning about adding a rear top case.
WARNING
Hard Saddlebags and Top Case not recommended to be used together on FJ-09 due to increased risk of overloading the motorcycle.

The warning may be referring to total gross weight overloading . . . not the rear frame . . .

For comparison:
the 2015 Versys 650 received a new subframe to go along with its rear suspension in order to increase the payload it can support:

Plus, more leg room: Foot-pegs on the 2015 Versys LT/ABS are 15mm lower and 20mm further forward in comparison to last year’s model.

I plan on rotating my 3 bikes . . . They all have different characteristics . . . Life is good.

mcmann screwed with this post 11-05-2014 at 09:08 PM