ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #1621
Tip Over
Whoopsie!
 
Tip Over's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 1,011
I got really focused in on a Road King Police, and because of that, I wanted to back off, and re-evaluate my precise two wheeled transportation needs. And I like to go non-traditional routes when I do.

Out of all the bikes I've looked at today, The BMW F800 GS definitely got my attention. Looks comfy, all the power I need, and at a price low enough to buy brand new and some fancy farkles. Only downside, a chain drive.

Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #1622
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer
 
PeteN95's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Muk, WA
Oddometer: 2,551
I've thought about this and it looks even better without the big pipes coming out of the seat, but it pisses me off that the Busa is not only more powerful, but lighter too?!?! I'd probably just streetfighter a turbo Busa and have a much lighter and faster bike.

__________________
"If you ain't slidin', you ain't ridin'"

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #1623
Half-Fast
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Houston
Oddometer: 196


Half-Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #1624
jdgretz
Looking for new places
 
jdgretz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Fast View Post


Wow!
__________________
'07 Norge - the fast red one
'03 Honda Shadow 750 - Rocky
'99 Honda Helix - Little Zippy
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #1625
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,612
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #1626
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer
 
conchscooter's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Florida Keys
Oddometer: 1,729
Sprint GT

I read the Motorcycle.com review again for some reason and lust is raging within my bowels. Bugger.

__________________
http://www.keywestdiary.us

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #1627
Tip Over
Whoopsie!
 
Tip Over's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 1,011
Mine changed quickly under influence of how freakin' expensive maintenance is on a BMW.

I'm glancing closely at a V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure. Crash bars, hard bags, fairing/windshield, and about 5 grand cheaper then what a Road King costs... I'm gonna have to look at one, and talk it over.

Don't think my pops will like it. He isn't one for anything that ain't a huge engine, v-twin, cruiser. Momma will like the idea though, of saving that money.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:04 AM   #1628
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlemdog View Post
Mine changed quickly under influence of how freakin' expensive maintenance is on a BMW.

.
Everyone has their own taste in motorcycles. But, learn to do your own maintenance and not only will it save a ton of money over your motorcycling career, but it will free you from such considerations and therefore limit your choices much less.

IF you're using a dealer for everything then yeah, the BMWs are going to cost. I have an'03 R1150GS and since new it's been to the dealer's exactly twice. Once for the initial service and once, very early on, for a warranty repair. The rest has been taken care of in my garage. Not only has it saved a TON of $$ but I find it's actually quicker, easier, and requires less downtime than making appointments, transporting it to the dealer, going back to pick it up, etc.. Of course I do live about an hour away from my nearest dealer and would have to trailer it up and back. So, figuring in dealing with the trailer, loading and unloading, the drive back and forth, twice... Yeah, much quicker to just do it myself, not to mention that I trust myself to take a little more time and do things "right"...
__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #1629
MikeJansen
Lost
 
MikeJansen's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Essex, UK - Still looking for home
Oddometer: 110
K1300s

That Moto Guzzi is spectacular.

I want this



Took a test ride a few weeks ago. Now watching what I eat to save money to buy one next winter/spring.

M
__________________
"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu
MikeJansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #1630
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlemdog View Post
Out of all the bikes I've looked at today, The BMW F800 GS definitely got my attention. Looks comfy, all the power I need, and at a price low enough to buy brand new and some fancy farkles. Only downside, a chain drive.

Yeah, it would be much better with BMW's TradeMark self-imploding
shaft drives.

__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #1631
DJGypsy
Ewok Taxidermist
 
DJGypsy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: near Orlando, FL
Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
it's just paint and stickers. now go get yourself a standard, SE or T100 and have fun
__________________
-Dan
it's not the destination, it's the journey
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...3012175630.jpg
DJGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #1632
Tip Over
Whoopsie!
 
Tip Over's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Everyone has their own taste in motorcycles. But, learn to do your own maintenance and not only will it save a ton of money over your motorcycling career, but it will free you from such considerations and therefore limit your choices much less.

IF you're using a dealer for everything then yeah, the BMWs are going to cost. I have an'03 R1150GS and since new it's been to the dealer's exactly twice. Once for the initial service and once, very early on, for a warranty repair. The rest has been taken care of in my garage. Not only has it saved a TON of $$ but I find it's actually quicker, easier, and requires less downtime than making appointments, transporting it to the dealer, going back to pick it up, etc.. Of course I do live about an hour away from my nearest dealer and would have to trailer it up and back. So, figuring in dealing with the trailer, loading and unloading, the drive back and forth, twice... Yeah, much quicker to just do it myself, not to mention that I trust myself to take a little more time and do things "right"...
Funny thing is, that's what I'm going to school for (well, not BMW, specifically). It's just something that I like to keep in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Yeah, it would be much better with BMW's TradeMark self-imploding
shaft drives.

I have never owned a bike that didn't have a shaft drive. Chain kinda puts me on edge, even though it's probably nothing to actually deal with.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #1633
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGypsy View Post
it's just paint and stickers. now go get yourself a standard, SE or T100 and have fun
Look closer. There is a bit more to it than that that would be quite spendy to replicate.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #1634
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC
 
McCormack's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: NH
Oddometer: 6,312
I made the mistake of going to a Triumph dealership last Saturday.

I want a Scrambler in a bad way.

So, do I sell the DL1000 first, or just buy the Scrambler and sort it all out later?
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #1635
jas67
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Oddometer: 768
This:
__________________
2013 Ducati Monster 796
Moto Guzzi: 2013 V7 Racer, 2006 Breva 1100
BMW: 1973 SWB R75/5 "Toaster", 1994 R100R Mystic, 2003 F650GS Dakar
Honda: 01 VFR800, 93 VFR400R(NC30), plus many vintage Hondas.
Scooters: 2007 Vespa GTS250ie, 2009 Kymco Agility 125
jas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014