ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #3151
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
OMFG!

Whoever did this to a Shadow should be killed with extreme prejudice!
Yeah, let's see... take a great classic engine and let's see how we can waste it in a totally useless chassis....

1" of rear suspension travel. Check. A terrible "springer" front suspension with no damping. Check. An extreme steering head angle that makes it steer like a heavily loaded wheelbarrow. Check. A useless butt wedge of a seat. Check. What appears to be cable actuated bake calipers from a bicycle. Check. Forward controls, combined with an extreme forward placement of clip-ons for a back wrenching riding position. Check. A head light that only lights up the rear of the front tire. Check. No apparent means of chain adjustment. Check. Nice wheels, a small, long, sleek tank and pretty black paint,. Check.

Yep, we have a winning combination! If we're trying to build a piece of livingroom sculpture/trailer queen show bike, and not a REAL motorcycle...

__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #3152
Mulewright
Old Fart/Journeyman
 
Mulewright's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: West Monroe,Louisiana
Oddometer: 128
While technicly interesting, I agree
__________________
Mulewright.......
"Streaching the Limits of Performance & Good Taste" since 1967 .
Mulewright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:14 AM   #3153
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic
 
ZZ-R Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Far East of the Western World
Oddometer: 461
I am REALLY wanting this Bike today!

2014 Bolt from Yamaha
__________________
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes ...
ZZ-R Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #3154
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy
 
nhbubba's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Southern NH
Oddometer: 435
Yeah, what the hell, why not one of these today.

__________________
2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL650A
nhbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #3155
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,909
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #3156
kraven
Hegelian Scum
 
kraven's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Oddometer: 4,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-R Rider View Post
I am REALLY wanting this Bike today!

2014 Bolt from Yamaha
Yep. I'm digging the green R-Spec, but I like how clean the white looks.
__________________
So there I was walking into a biker bar in Chattanooga with liberty spikes on my head and a drag queen beside me... - bcurvin
kraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #3157
DJGypsy
Ewok Taxidermist
 
DJGypsy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: near Orlando, FL
Oddometer: 466
after saturday's demo rides, i want both of these in my garage, for their obvious intended purposes.

victory hardball


yamaha R1



really annoying discovery about my bonneville vs the R1...bonneville makes 65 hp at the crank, and needs valve re-lashes every 12k miles. R1 makes 180+/- at the crank, and needs valve re-lashes every 26k miles. fuck you, triumph. resting on your laurels much?
__________________
-Dan
it's not the destination, it's the journey
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...3012175630.jpg
DJGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #3158
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer
 
mrbreeze's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Tennessee
Oddometer: 8,425
I'm diggin' this version of the Bolt

__________________
2013 Suzuki DL650 Adventure

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #3159
vicster
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,020
Jonesin' BAD for new leftover 2012 KTM 990 Adventure. At $13K before you start dealing, they seem like a lot of bike for the dough. My perfect stable would be the 990 and the street legal 500 KTMs.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #3160
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Flyinace1's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: So Cal
Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Yeah, let's see... take a great classic engine and let's see how we can waste it in a totally useless chassis....

1" of rear suspension travel. Check. A terrible "springer" front suspension with no damping. Check. An extreme steering head angle that makes it steer like a heavily loaded wheelbarrow. Check. A useless butt wedge of a seat. Check. What appears to be cable actuated bake calipers from a bicycle. Check. Forward controls, combined with an extreme forward placement of clip-ons for a back wrenching riding position. Check. A head light that only lights up the rear of the front tire. Check. No apparent means of chain adjustment. Check. Nice wheels, a small, long, sleek tank and pretty black paint,. Check.

Yep, we have a winning combination! If we're trying to build a piece of livingroom sculpture/trailer queen show bike, and not a REAL motorcycle...

And the really crazy part is I would actually ride it...regularly. I'm odd like that and I'd probably really enjoy it.
__________________
Anti-Murphy's Law:
Whatever can go right will go right

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #3161
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Flyinace1's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: So Cal
Oddometer: 381
oh and for today this awesome collaboration between Radical Ducati and Dragon TT
__________________
Anti-Murphy's Law:
Whatever can go right will go right

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #3162
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGypsy View Post

really annoying discovery about my bonneville vs the R1...bonneville makes 65 hp at the crank, and needs valve re-lashes every 12k miles. R1 makes 180+/- at the crank, and needs valve re-lashes every 26k miles. fuck you, triumph. resting on your laurels much?
Comparing a Bonneville to an R1

Talk about annoying.

That Bolt looks good but for the price you can get the one they copied (if you can find one) and it will hold its value much better. Either way, FUN bikes. I wish I were not so damn tall.

__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib

DAKEZ screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 03:49 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #3163
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Comparing a Bonneville to and R1

Talk about annoying.
The only comparison was the frequency of valve checks. Both are DOHC shim-and-bucket systems. The bikes themselves weren't being compared.
__________________
15 BMW RnineT
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #3164
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer
 
mrbreeze's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Tennessee
Oddometer: 8,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Comparing a Bonneville to an R1

Talk about annoying.

That Bolt looks good but for the price you can get the one they copied (if you can find one) and it will hold its value much better. Either way, FUN bikes. I wish I were not so damn tall.

well, I am not so damn tall, but I am too big for either the Iron or the Bolt, I'm sure. I see your point about the Iron, but I can tell you the HD dealers around here are all about gouging their customers. They may be close to the same MSRP (I'm not sure) but Harley will not come off their price and Yamaha will. And anytime the HD dealer has a model that is in demand, he is probably adding $1000 or more to the price tag just because he knows people are dumb enough to pay it. And if you have a trade, he's going to offer you way less than wholesale for it. And if your still dumb enough to go to the sales manager's office, there's going to be a big fat doc fee added to the cost of the bike. The last time I check, the local HD guy was demanding $600 just to do paperwork.
__________________
2013 Suzuki DL650 Adventure

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #3165
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
well, I am not so damn tall, but I am too big for either the Iron or the Bolt, I'm sure. I see your point about the Iron, but I can tell you the HD dealers around here are all about gouging their customers. They may be close to the same MSRP (I'm not sure) but Harley will not come off their price and Yamaha will. And anytime the HD dealer has a model that is in demand, he is probably adding $1000 or more to the price tag just because he knows people are dumb enough to pay it. And if you have a trade, he's going to offer you way less than wholesale for it. And if your still dumb enough to go to the sales manager's office, there's going to be a big fat doc fee added to the cost of the bike. The last time I check, the local HD guy was demanding $600 just to do paperwork.
Things are different out West I guess. Freight and set-up fees vary from store to store but they are now and always have been a valid additional fee.
Check out this from 1956, It has always been the case that set-up charges should be charged and buyers have always complained about it.




__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib

DAKEZ screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 08:45 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014