Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #3211
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
What a shame it took Yamaha to make a real sportster again.

Guess I don't see how that's any more of a "real sportster" than the ones H-D is producing. Same overly low seat height, same lack of ground and cornering clearance. Just looks like Yamaha copied the same current styling trend as H-D to me.

In fact, I think H-D even did a better job of it with my 48, IF you can take the concessions that the current "slammed" look brings to the table...

As much as I like my 48 for what it is, IMO, a "real Sportster" should be more "sporty" and not just another bar hopper...

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #3212
ViperJustin
Aerial Gunner

Oddometer: 554
After test riding a GSA a couple days ago, that's all I can think about. This is not good for my MegaMoto.....
08 MegaMoto #99529
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #3213
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Same overly low seat height, same lack of ground and cornering clearance
Bolt has more of that than any Sportster model offered.
It's not a pipe grinder made to hop bars.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #3214
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
vs a 15k norton clone? you're paying for a cheap copy either way, the triumph is just cheaper. At least the trumpet has halfway decent dealer support and a growing aftermarket and pretty much the same performance. The "norton" has... a name?
Not really a clone or copy? That would be a bullet or ural. The triumph/norton are modern evolutions of a classic style. The Triumph is nothing but a boring and painful pretty ride to me. The Norton really seems like something I'd enjoy riding and looking at. I'm sure for the money a evo monster, 1000ninja or even street triple would be a much better choice but the exclusiveness and look of the Norton is worth something to me but I'd at least need dealer close. They will most likely never see our shores anyway...
Old 03-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #3215
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,101
I really want to see what EBR has in the works. They have a questionnaire about the upcoming sportbike: https://ccfdo.wufoo.com/forms/m7p7a7/

I filled that out and got to thinkin' about their new models. I want one (not a sportbike, but an ADV Uly type).

There was a used ZX-14 on CL the other day. Can't say I wasn't tempted. Always wanted one... if I had seen it about 6 months ago or hadn't just spent so much money on the recent Scrambler project I would have almost certainly have bought it.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #3216
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,018
Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #3217
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
I really want to see what EBR has in the works. They have a questionnaire about the upcoming sportbike: https://ccfdo.wufoo.com/forms/m7p7a7/
Link no worky.

Tried that and going to the ebracing.com website both.

dmac57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #3218
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
This:

with this:
Old 03-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #3219
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldhippie View Post
Not really a clone or copy? That would be a bullet or ural. The triumph/norton are modern evolutions of a classic style. The Triumph is nothing but a boring and painful pretty ride to me. The Norton really seems like something I'd enjoy riding and looking at. I'm sure for the money a evo monster, 1000ninja or even street triple would be a much better choice but the exclusiveness and look of the Norton is worth something to me but I'd at least need dealer close. They will most likely never see our shores anyway...
The 961 nortons have essentially the same power as the current triumph twins, with far weaker dealer support and almost zero aftermarket. sticker price is much higher, too. It appears you pay ~7k more for a name.

If that works in you and you can afford one, more power to you. Just don't delude yourself into thinking you bought a superior machine.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #3220
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
The 961 nortons have essentially the same power as the current triumph twins, with far weaker dealer support and almost zero aftermarket. sticker price is much higher, too. It appears you pay ~7k more for a name.

If that works in you and you can afford one, more power to you. Just don't delude yourself into thinking you bought a superior machine.

The term "superior machine" is very subjective, dontcha think?

Lots of things are "superior" in objective measures like performance, power, etc... But those things rarely if ever factor into the equation of what I enjoy most... Sometimes it's just the lust that a machine incites that makes it "superior" in the mind of those that matter most; the owner, or the admirer... Sometimes it can be a certain feel, or a certain look, or just the exclusivity of a particular machine.... Lots of bikes are "better" than either the Triumph, or the Norton, or my Sportster for that matter... But obviously, for ME, and at this point in time, the Sportster is "superior" to most others, or else I would have bought one of those others...

Besides, the $7000 is buying more than just the name anyway... You're also getting vastly superior suspension components with the Ohlins forks and shocks in place of the dimestore damper rod forks and crap shocks on some of the Triumphs. And then there's the radial mount Brembo brakes... Priced any of those separately? The dry weight figures don't sound too bad either...and the chassis geometry... There's much more to a bike than just how much power the engine makes...

Just a different perspective... Not that I would buy one... but if money were no object... and that's all relative too... If you can afford what makes you smile then more power to ya!

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #3221
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,636
You ladies play nice, now...

dmac57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #3222
Crocker
just passing through

Oddometer: 3,509
Moto Guzzi Norge.

Had a chance to pick one up an 08 last summer, passed and decided to keep my r1150gs.

I've been regretting it ever since that test ride. Nothing wrong with the beemer, it just rides a little too refined for my tastes, hitting the slab I feel like I'm in a passenger jet.
Crocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #3223
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,692

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #3224
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,493
That SV classic was a cool bike. Only sold in Urp.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #3225
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
That SV classic was a cool bike. Only sold in Urp.
I think it was available in US in 2003.

I got 2 good ones in the local ads, both worth more or less as much as
my scooter..

Do you feel my pain?

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote