ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #3436
richarddacat
abnormal character
 
richarddacat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Home of AndrewJackson
Oddometer: 3,444
+1 on the MG Stone

Nice and basic.
__________________
* 05FJR/88K75c/97M3 *
Mid-TN Tag Riders
richarddacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #3437
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 7,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
+1 on the MG Stone

Nice and basic.
We all need a bike to get us to the local coffee shop, DAMNIT!
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #3438
CajunRider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
We all need a bike to get us to the local coffee shop, DAMNIT!
I thought the BMW GS series was made for that??
CajunRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #3439
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer
 
0ldhippie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento
Oddometer: 578
I swear there are more Guzzy folks on this forum than the number of bikes Guzzy sells??? Pretty much an Italian sportster in my mind??
__________________
I've forgot more than you kids ever knew!
Retired and living off the interest on the money I owe.
0ldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #3440
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer
 
dmac57's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunRider View Post
I thought the BMW GS series was made for that??
__________________
"Everybody's got to believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer."
- W. C. Fields
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:19 AM   #3441
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer
 
MookieBlaylock's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: IntheeaglewingpalaceoftheQueenChinee
Oddometer: 2,581
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:24 AM   #3442
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunRider View Post
I thought the BMW GS series was made for that??
Yeah, they are! I do like to make a stop for coffee somewhere along the route when I take a really long ride someplace. Making coffee over a campfire is just too much hassle for this "hipster".
__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #3443
jas67
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldhippie View Post
I swear there are more Guzzy folks on this forum than the number of bikes Guzzy sells??? Pretty much an Italian sportster in my mind??
The only thing the V7 has in common with a Sportster (aside from having two wheels) is a V-twin engine, but with completely different character, and that is mounted with the crank longitudinally, instead across the frame.

The V7 has shaft drive (Sportster = belt drive), "standard ergos", and is at least 150 lbs lighter than a Sportster. Now, with "mid-mount" controls, a Sportster is fairly "standard" in it's ergos, but still more cruiserish. The character of the engines is completely different. The V7 motor makes its best power above 4,000 RPM (the 2012 and early motor are happiest above 4,500 RPM), and the Sportster motors are tuned more for lower end torque, and are perfectly happy to cruise at 3,000 RPM (esp. the 1200).

Now, every any HD fans get their panties in a twist, I'm not dissing on the Sportster, I'm just pointing out that the V7 and the Sportster are very different bikes.

For that matter, all Guzzi engines are very different in character than HD engines. Guzzi engines (very early single cylinder models excluded) are all 90 degree V-twins, where the HD motors are 45 degree V-twins. This leads to very different exhaust notes and vibrations. The 45 degree twin is what gives the HD the "potato-potato" exhaust note that fans loves so much. A 90 degree V-twin has near perfect primary and secondary balance, where the 45 degree V-twins are far from it. Guzzi engines' best torque curve is typically about 1,000 RPM higher than HD engines. The new California 1400's torque curve starts out much lower, more like a Harley, but still revs quite nicely.
__________________
M796, 250 Monza, V7R, Breva 1100, VFR800, F650GS Dakar, R100R Mystic, R75/5 + others.
jas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #3444
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 7,101
I don't think he meant that comparison in such a literal way..
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #3445
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas67 View Post
The only thing the V7 has in common with a Sportster (aside from having two wheels) is a V-twin engine, but with completely different character, and that is mounted with the crank longitudinally, instead across the frame.

The V7 has shaft drive (Sportster = belt drive), "standard ergos", and is at least 150 lbs lighter than a Sportster. Now, with "mid-mount" controls, a Sportster is fairly "standard" in it's ergos, but still more cruiserish. The character of the engines is completely different. The V7 motor makes its best power above 4,000 RPM (the 2012 and early motor are happiest above 4,500 RPM), and the Sportster motors are tuned more for lower end torque, and are perfectly happy to cruise at 3,000 RPM (esp. the 1200).

Now, every any HD fans get their panties in a twist, I'm not dissing on the Sportster, I'm just pointing out that the V7 and the Sportster are very different bikes.

For that matter, all Guzzi engines are very different in character than HD engines. Guzzi engines (very early single cylinder models excluded) are all 90 degree V-twins, where the HD motors are 45 degree V-twins. This leads to very different exhaust notes and vibrations. The 45 degree twin is what gives the HD the "potato-potato" exhaust note that fans loves so much. A 90 degree V-twin has near perfect primary and secondary balance, where the 45 degree V-twins are far from it. Guzzi engines' best torque curve is typically about 1,000 RPM higher than HD engines. The new California 1400's torque curve starts out much lower, more like a Harley, but still revs quite nicely.
Very good comparo. That are some of the differences, for better or worse, depending on your tastes and preferences. One area that I think the Sportster has the V7 beat is in power. The 1200 Sporties make pretty decent power actually, and their not too hard to make make a good deal more. I love the V7, and maybe one day I'll own one... when and if Guzzi ever gets them to make (what I feel is) sufficient power. Another couple of things would be dealer network and parts availability, both OEM and aftermarket. The Sportster has such a following that there is a huge amount of aftermarket support that allows you to make it be pretty much anything you want it to be, from a laid-back cruiser, to a Scrambler, to a Cafe Racer.








With the MG you're much more limited on the options.

Again, not to "dis" the V7 at all. I think they're very cool bikes.

But, after years of being anti-Harley, I got my Sportster earlier this year and have found it to be much more enjoyable than I ever imagined it could be.



__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #3446
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Very good comparo. That are some of the differences, for better or worse, depending on your tastes and preferences. One area that I think the Sportster has the V7 beat is in power. The 1200 Sporties make pretty decent power actually, and their not too hard to make make a good deal more. I love the V7, and maybe one day I'll own one... when and if Guzzi ever gets them to make (what I feel is) sufficient power. Another couple of things would be dealer network and parts availability, both OEM and aftermarket. The Sportster has such a following that there is a huge amount of aftermarket support that allows you to make it be pretty much anything you want it to be, from a laid-back cruiser, to a Scrambler, to a Cafe Racer.
You might be right about a V7, but there are other Guzzis that I think would do a lot better. Or you might try another V-twin, a Ducati Diavel, the ultimate cruiser. Try to get a demo ride on one sometime. It'll give you a different outlook on twins.

One thing about those Sporty photos, why do they have the same tiny front brake my KLR has? Is it a reflection of the engine power or of the type of rider?
__________________
15 BMW RnineT
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #3447
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Oddometer: 5,381


I still don't love the funky looking headlights, but otherwise it is a badass bike.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #3448
motorat
TBD
 
motorat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: SW WA
Oddometer: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post







i like this one!!!
__________________
to ignore the facts does not change the facts
motorat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #3449
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
You might be right about a V7, but there are other Guzzis that I think would do a lot better. Or you might try another V-twin, a Ducati Diavel, the ultimate cruiser. Try to get a demo ride on one sometime. It'll give you a different outlook on twins.
On the power front, no doubt. But when it comes to dealer and aftermarket support, there's really not much comparison between H-D and Guzzi, or much of anything else European for that matter. And don't get me wrong, I love Guzzis, and Ducatis. I already have a strong predisposition for twins. Of the seven bikes currently in my garage, five of them are twins; one 90* (Duc), one 180* boxer (BMW), one parallel (Yamaha), and two 45* (Buell and H-D). Nothing quite like the feel or sound of a nice v-twin, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
One thing about those Sporty photos, why do they have the same tiny front brake my KLR has? Is it a reflection of the engine power or of the type of rider?
Your KLR has a brake like this?




Wow! I bet that thing stops like RIGHT NOW! I know it works pretty good on my Sporty.


__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #3450
BCinMD
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BCinMD's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Oddometer: 104
The practical and pragmatic side of me would be thrilled to upgrade from my little TU250 to this:




But if the passion / emotion-driven side of me had its way, this would be in my garage...

__________________
'05 Suzuki SV650N - sniff, sniff...so long old yeller | '11 Suzuki TU250 - my fav l'il thumper | '09 Kymco Xciting 250Ri - gone | '96 Nighthawk 750 -gone but not forgotten
BCinMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015