Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #3466
Oriondk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1/509 View Post

I still don't love the funky looking headlights, but otherwise it is a badass bike.
Oh, yeah! Definitely on my short list.

DAVE
Oriondk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #3467
Oriondk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Now, with that said, I'll admit that the brakes are one thing that I am disappointed in about H-D. Personally, in this day and age, I see no excuse for the brakes that come stock on the majority of their bikes. And, I'll admit that the front brake was one of the first things I upgraded on my bike. A single disc with a single two pot caliper on a 575# motorcycle? Come on guys! Drag yourself into the 21st century!, or even the later quarter of the 20th century.

You said it. My Nightrod Special has Brembo brakes and I went in two years ago to try a Fat Bob. Man was I shocked at just how bad that thing braked. Totally truned me off to the bike. If Harley can put Brembo on the Vrod line and touring line, it's almost criminal to put such crappy brakes on the rest of the line. I don't know if that's changed in the past few years or not as lately I'm lusting after Triumphs and haven't paid much attention to any changes at HD.

DAVE
Oriondk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #3468
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorepedo View Post
My latest obsession. Anything nicknamed the "Widowmaker" piques my interest...

I like this one better...

D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:30 AM   #3469
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriondk View Post
You said it. My Nightrod Special has Brembo brakes and I went in two years ago to try a Fat Bob. Man was I shocked at just how bad that thing braked. Totally truned me off to the bike. If Harley can put Brembo on the Vrod line and touring line, it's almost criminal to put such crappy brakes on the rest of the line. I don't know if that's changed in the past few years or not as lately I'm lusting after Triumphs and haven't paid much attention to any changes at HD.

Yeah, and the thing is, decent brakes aren't THAT hard to do. I put an off the shelf H-D item on my 48 and greatly improved its braking performance. The XR1200's Nissin 4 piston caliper was a direct bolt on and cost me around $150 retail, shipped. To Harley the price difference between it and their standard 2 piston caliper probably isn't much at all, but completely changes the way the bike brakes. I mean, they don't have to go all out with twin discs and top shelf components to make a huge improvement, but to me, "decent" brakes should be mandatory equipment on any bike built in these modern time. There's just no excuse for anything less.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:44 AM   #3470
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,751
Quote:
Yeah, and the thing is, decent brakes aren't THAT hard to do. I put an off the shelf H-D item on my 48 and greatly improved its braking performance. The XR1200's Nissin 4 piston caliper was a direct bolt on and cost me around $150 retail, shipped. To Harley the price difference between it and their standard 2 piston caliper probably isn't much at all, but completely changes the way the bike brakes. I mean, they don't have to go all out with twin discs and top shelf components to make a huge improvement, but to me, "decent" brakes should be mandatory equipment on any bike built in these modern time. There's just no excuse for anything less.
..and then you ask a shop mechanic about people's braking habits and hear
that some never touch the front and use just the rear.. especially cruiser
riders.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:10 AM   #3471
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
..and then you ask a shop mechanic about people's braking habits and hear
that some never touch the front and use just the rear.. especially cruiser
riders.
Well, unfortunately you can't design out stupidity, but for those of us that know where the real braking power comes from, it's relatively easy to design it in.

I don't like to overgeneralize, pigeonhole, or slam any subset of riders, but it does seem that cruisers tend to attract the less knowledgeable, and less safety conscious, group of riders for some reason. Maybe it isn't a manufacturer's responsibility to make a rider safe, but it should be somewhat their responsibility to give those that choose to be, the tools with which to do so.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 05-10-2013, 05:13 AM   #3472
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Yep.

+1

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 05-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #3473
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,667
$6800 trike...

Old 05-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #3474
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
$6800 trike...

Sorry, but while the may be a cool "car", I don't really see that in the same vain as a motorcycle...
Old 05-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #3475
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Sorry, but while the may be a cool "car", I don't really see that in the same vain as a motorcycle...
Legally it is a motorcycle... in this country anyway.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #3476
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
Legally it is a motorcycle... in this country anyway.

Yeah, by legal definition, having less than 4 wheels, it is a M/C here too I think. That may exempt it from certain regulatory requirements such as safety standards, emissions differences, and so forth, but to me if it is fully enclosed, doesn't lean, and/or has more than 2 wheels, it isn't a true motorcycle... Just offers none of the things that I associate with the feeling of motorcycling, IMO...

Sorry, all you Can-Am and other trike lovers.

To me, that thing is just a tandem seat car that just happens to have one wheel missing.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #3477
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel

Oddometer: 1,188
It doesn't require a motorcycle license in California, but I believe it would in Utah. I think it's nice to see weather protected, stable in the snow, new & reliable transportation with that low of a price. Sorry, but the price of new cars has gotten ridiculous.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #3478
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotheadJeff View Post
It doesn't require a motorcycle license in California, but I believe it would in Utah. I think it's nice to see weather protected, stable in the snow, new & reliable transportation with that low of a price. Sorry, but the price of new cars has gotten ridiculous.
Yeah, it could be an interesting alternative form of transportation. Still don't really see it as a motorcycle in any real sense though...

Old 05-13-2013, 03:29 AM   #3479
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Old 05-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #3480
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
ditto