Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #3571
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
I had a wide glide also. Sold it to a guy in Florida! Is your name Randy?
BAck when I had it, it didn't bother me with my legs out front but hey...that was many moons ago...it might be different now. I know I *had* to put forward foot rests on my goldwing, on the standard pegs my legs are about at a 70 degree angle and that is not comfortable for long periods of time.
Nope. I got mine brand new (leftover stock).

I think being stuck with just one set of footpegs can be a bad thing. No passenger pegs, or highway pegs, or mid pegs means you essentailly are stuck in one spot, which I think would bother anyone.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #3572
Mikey Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjensen641 View Post
+1 I have been trying to forget this bike since my test ride last week. I've asked the folks over in the Stripple form how it stacks up against my current twisties weapon (modified SV650S). The conclusion was that the riding experience would be slightly better, but probably not worth $10K.

I have been reading on the various triumph forms of how crappy the mirrors are, how the seat would need to be changed etc etc. I still can't quite get it out of my head! And damn is that thing sexy!
Mirrors and seat are easy to change. I LOVED my old Speed Triple but I felt it was almost too much power for such a crisp handling and nimble bike. Had a few 'almost' high-sides from getting on it too soon. From everything I've read and heard, the Street Triple is the way to go. 107 BHP in a 399 lb package with the smoothness and torque of the triple. I just can't see any reason to get rid of either of my bikes for one and I definitely can't get a third bike.
Mikey Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #3573
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 994

It ain't fast, but neither am I. Haven't had a British bike yet, and this seems like a cool start.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #3574
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlemdog View Post

It ain't fast, but neither am I. Haven't had a British bike yet, and this seems like a cool start.
Nice looking bike, but somehow I think it would look a lot better without the rear fender and funky looking tail light/turn signal assembly... Something about that just looks a little incongruous with the solo seat cowl, IMO.

I'm sure it's just a legal thing though, and could probably be easily rectified for those so inclined....
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #3575
DJGypsy
Ewok Taxidermist

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Nice looking bike, but somehow I think it would look a lot better without the rear fender and funky looking tail light/turn signal assembly... Something about that just looks a little incongruous with the solo seat cowl, IMO.

I'm sure it's just a legal thing though, and could probably be easily rectified for those so inclined....
i'm with you. the fit and finish on my bonneville has only one sore sport, and it's the signals/brake light. not only are they a complete stylistic failure on the bike, the signals are plastic coated chrome, and they droop like granny's boobies. the aftermarket is waiting to receive your money to fix this. i changed mine and never looked back.
DJGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #3576
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,492
Quote:
My couch (my real couch not my goldwing) reclines and I am sitting in almost exactly the same position.
You don't have to steer your couch.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #3577
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
You don't have to steer your couch....
... and your couch supports your upper torso as well as distributes your weight over a much larger area than just the soles of your feet, tailbone and pointy parts of your pelvis...

... and your couch doesn't go over bumps where being able to load the pegs, unload your ass and use your legs to absorb shocks is a really nice thing...

... and I'd bet you don't sit on your couch with your arms outstretched while trying to maintain against a constant 70 mph headwind either...

My couch is very comfy, and my bed is even much more so, but that doesn't mean that either position is well suited for riding a motorcycle over any length of time, or under any condition other than just cruising down a straight and smooth road...

No, it may be a "best compromise" for people with certain limitations, or to allow taller people to fit on a bike that is really designed with an excessively short seat for their height and leg length. Or maybe some people just think it looks "cool". But it's not the best position for the task of riding a motorcycle. If it were, that would be the standard ergonomic template used by motorcycle manufacturers the world over. Instead, this "laid back" riding posture was one perpetuated by the HD cruiser and chopper phenomenon. About the only other bikes that use it are copycat bikes from other manufacturers trying to cash in on the popularity of the Harley thang. Think about it. How many more progressive motorcycle designs have we seen in the last 75 years that use that ergonomic template and don't also use the traditional styling cues of cruiserdom?

Of course that's just my own opinion and obviously not shared by everyone. And as I like to say, and really do feel, to each their own...

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 05-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #3578
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
I apologize for derailing the thread a bit and some of the arguments it created. The Gynocycle comment actually pertains to the guys that absolutely must get their feet up on the crash bar mounted highway pegs as soon as they pull away from stops because it looks "cool". To me it looks like the chair with stirrups.

Aaanyway....

Here is a decent looking cruiser and has mid mount controls. Dunno why Dyna's seem to get no love, but I'm not a Harley guy. Maybe SOA can help change the "cool" bikes to mid controls rather than forward! Too bad they killed the XR1200R. Now that was a good looking Harley!

Past Rides: '82 GL500, '00 YZ426, '01 DRZ400S, '04 ST4S
pjensen641 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #3579
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjensen641 View Post
+1 I have been trying to forget this bike since my test ride last week. I've asked the folks over in the Stripple form how it stacks up against my current twisties weapon (modified SV650S). The conclusion was that the riding experience would be slightly better, but probably not worth $10K.
That's exactly my issue with the street triple. A SV gets your 90% of the way there for 10% of the cost, it's a no brainer. SV oozes character (especially with an after market exhaust) as well so the Triumph doesn't even have that advantage.
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #3580
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
That's exactly my issue with the street triple. A SV gets your 90% of the way there for 10% of the cost, it's a no brainer.

Really? Where are you finding nice SVs for a grand? I'll take a couple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
SV oozes character (especially with an after market exhaust) as well so the Triumph doesn't even have that advantage.
No argument from me on that one. My bud had a '99 SV with a nice Yosh full exhaust a few years back. Sounded AWESOME! Not quite but almost right up there in Ducati land, IMO. ST is still an awfully good looking bike though. Probably run a pretty close second to a Monster in my book...

Old 05-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #3581
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,570
its a goldwing....I have a back rest, huge seat and a giant windshield. It can rain lightly and I dont even get wet. We are comparing the forward controls on the HD models and my wing with forward foot rests. It is comfortable to me. I can't say, from recent experience, that the HD is comfortable, but the one I had in the past was.

Quote:
... and your couch supports your upper torso as well as distributes your weight over a much larger area than just the soles of your feet, tailbone and pointy parts of your pelvis...

... and your couch doesn't go over bumps where being able to load the pegs, unload your ass and use your legs to absorb shocks is a really nice thing...

... and I'd bet you don't sit on your couch with your arms outstretched while trying to maintain against a constant 70 mph headwind either...

My couch is very comfy, and my bed is even much more so, but that doesn't mean that either position is well suited for riding a motorcycle over any length of time, or under any condition other than just cruising down a straight and smooth road...

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #3582
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
its a goldwing....I have a back rest, huge seat and a giant windshield. It can rain lightly and I dont even get wet. We are comparing the forward controls on the HD models and my wing with forward foot rests. It is comfortable to me. I can't say, from recent experience, that the HD is comfortable, but the one I had in the past was.
Ah yes... mis-que on my part then. I thought you were discussing this pic that you posted back a few pages ago...

But those are completely different animals really. A Street Bob and a Goldwing.

With that said, I'm not knocking HD either. I love my Sporty 48 and find it pretty comfortable. But only after replacing the forwards with mids, and upgrading the crappy stock lowered suspension with full travel versions. The custom seat helped some too, but it was done more because I liked its looks than anything, and once I ditched the forwards the stock seat that everyone complains about wasn't too bad at all. Of course, I'd bet that most that can't stand the stock 48 seat also keep the stock forward controls. That combination didn't work for my bony butt for the reason I alluded to in my post above. Even still, and while it is comfortable for the shorter rides that I have this bike for, ergonomically, IMO, my R1150GS is far superior for any "serious" riding.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #3583
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,570
Quote:
With that said, I'm not knocking HD either. I love my Sporty 48 and find it pretty comfortable. But only after replacing the forwards with mids, and upgrading the crappy stock lowered suspension with full travel versions. The custom seat helped some too, but it was done more because I liked its looks than anything, and once I ditched the forwards the stock seat that everyone complains about wasn't too bad at all. Of course, I'd bet that most that can't stand the stock 48 seat also keep the stock forward controls. That combination didn't work for my bony butt for the reason I alluded to in my post above. Even still, and while it is comfortable for the shorter rides that I have this bike for, ergonomically, IMO, my R1150GS is far superior for any "serious" riding.
you have a 48! How is that front tire ride? I like the 72 but I like the front end and tire on the 48 and the gas tank on my wing. So thats what lead me to the Street bob. No back rest on that I see....wonder if it would be as comfortable as my FXWG used to be. I will never know, I am broke. I stopped by an HD dealer the other day and they had a red SB. Nice. I did not even sit on it for fear of becoming hypnotized into signing the papers.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #3584
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
you have a 48! How is that front tire ride? I like the 72 but I like the front end and tire on the 48 and the gas tank on my wing. So thats what lead me to the Street bob. No back rest on that I see....wonder if it would be as comfortable as my FXWG used to be. I will never know, I am broke. I stopped by an HD dealer the other day and they had a red SB. Nice. I did not even sit on it for fear of becoming hypnotized into signing the papers.
Yeah, I have a 48. You can search for my username in the "Go Sportster" thread to see my impressions and modifications so far. So as not to sidetrack this thread too much, you can ask any question you'd like in that thread.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:07 AM   #3585
zataomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
I want one of these:

Perfect size and weight for me, simple, classic styling. This is the only new bike I've been tempted to go out and borrow money to buy in a long time.