Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #1471
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace1 View Post
nice but personally I think the rear fender looks a little incomplete
I tend to agree. I like the Hammarhead Jackpine Scrambler a lot, and I think this Ural looks pretty cool too. But, IMO, a bike like the Ural, while it's fine to look cool and spartan like that, I still think it should have some practical utility. I mean it isn't exactly going to set the world on fire with it's sporting prowess, now it is?

But, seriously, while the aluminum fenders look good and I like the recessed light in the rear, I still would prefer some sort of parcel rack on the back. You know, just a place to strap a small tail bag or maybe mount a box of some sort. Perhaps something could be added to the subframe to hoover over the rear fender but I wouldn't want a load on the aluminum fender itself.

Other than that, I like it.

Not enough to pay James Loughead's price for a dressed up Ural... Although it does give ideas for a nice project bike, doesn't it?
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #1472
pachap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Been looking around a lot lately and I cannot make up my mind on which bike I will be buying this summer. It is so frustrating to me because I am usually decisive and quick to make an informed decision. I am completely stuck between an FX6R and the Ninja 650 and cannot choose which one. If I were to walk into a dealership to buy today it would be a toss up decision.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #1473
woodwelder
The Metal Art Man

Oddometer: 69
bird

Today I want a Blackbird, late 90's.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #1474
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
HD Road King

I must be mad. Even earlier models with bendy frames cost the earth.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #1475
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
I must be mad. Even earlier models with bendy frames cost the earth.

I will say that on my recent cross country, by far, the majority of bikes I saw out doing miles were H-Ds; only a couple of 'Wings and a scattering of Beemers.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:24 AM   #1476
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post
I will say that on my recent cross country, by far, the majority of bikes I saw out doing miles were H-Ds; only a couple of 'Wings and a scattering of Beemers.

jdg
Had one. Beautiful bike. Very comfortable on the road. All the raw visceral performance of a 4 cyl minivan.

Lots of people love them so I'm obviously the odd one here. Just get ready to double the price if you want to make one as fast as a 3 generation old 600cc sport bike. IMHO of course.
seantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:35 AM   #1477
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,664

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #1478
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantx View Post
Had one. Beautiful bike. Very comfortable on the road. All the raw visceral performance of a 4 cyl minivan.

Lots of people love them so I'm obviously the odd one here. Just get ready to double the price if you want to make one as fast as a 3 generation old 600cc sport bike. IMHO of course.
I'll agree with you. I never could grasp the attraction either until I started riding slower bikes and just sort of be-bopping around at sane speeds.
I get it now.
I still can't stand the volume of open pipes, so I'm still a weirdo in that respect. But, it's a fun experience to just kick back and let the torque pull you along without having to bend time-space everywhere you go simply because you have 140+hp on tap.
It's a different ride for a different mindset.
I still prefer a big 4, in fact. But, a v-twin cruiser isn't near as awful as I used to think it was.
The mid-80's Dodge Caravan acceleration curve does concern me in traffic though.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #1479
vicvegas
eager beaver

Oddometer: 186
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attack Pug View Post
Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE
Ditto on the matte green Griso se!
vicvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #1480
MoreCheese
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bull View Post
Yesterday it was a Drz400, today I've moved onto a Moto Guzzi V7(booked a test ride for saturday). Next week I'll be back to Triumph where my heart belongs.
Nice bike lusts Little Bull. Goto tell me how that Moto Guzzi V7 test ride goes. I sat on a V7 Racer, haven't ridden one, and loved the stance but wasn't sure the engine had enough gusto. The Griso looks awesome too but I have never even seen one in person.
MoreCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #1481
40cu.in.of.furey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCheese View Post
Nice bike lusts Little Bull. Goto tell me how that Moto Guzzi V7 test ride goes. I sat on a V7 Racer, haven't ridden one, and loved the stance but wasn't sure the engine had enough gusto. The Griso looks awesome too but I have never even seen one in person.
I've been drooling over Guzzi's lately saw one or two Griso's at the crud run, I would love the stelvio, but the Griso is 5k cheaper, either way I can't spend 10k on a bike, and have learned people who own Guzzi's don't sell them so the used market is tiny unless you want the California...meh
40cu.in.of.furey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #1482
MoreCheese
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cu.in.of.furey View Post
I've been drooling over Guzzi's lately saw one or two Griso's at the crud run, I would love the stelvio, but the Griso is 5k cheaper, either way I can't spend 10k on a bike, and have learned people who own Guzzi's don't sell them so the used market is tiny unless you want the California...meh
Darn, missed the Crud run as I was fixing my truck. Would have been nice to see some Guzzi's, talk to the owners and maybe sit on a couple to see if my body would fit.

As far as prices go, if you don't mind used, they show up allot cheaper than new on the used market especially in the non riding season. You've probably heard of Moto International, cheaper prices for a Guzzi or Aprilia. I even found a Guzzi Grisso last winter for less than $5k (many states away). Hard to jump on a large dollar purchase with no way of deciding if it would work out though.
MoreCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #1483
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cu.in.of.furey View Post
If you want one of the new Griso SEs, then, yeah, you're going to pay close to MSRP as those are running out the doors of the dealers. If, on the other hand, you'd be happy with an older 1100 Griso, you can pick up a Demo or New left-over for around $7K (Moto International) with a fly and ride program that covers most, if not all of the cost of your flight to Seattle. The new Stelvio is also in demand, so again, yeah, they are going for close to MSRP.

NOS Norges are going for right around $9K-$9.5K, but the new Norge has a waiting list at all the dealers I know of.

It's a nice change for Guzzi - not so good for those looking to buy the latest, but hopefully it will make Piaggio think just maybe they can sell a few more bikes and need to beef up the dealer network.

As for used, they are around, but you do have to keep you ear close to the forums (wildguzzi and GuzziTech).

Happy hunting.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:16 AM   #1484
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,445
I want the bike I already own.

But I want about $2500 to put on all the mods and farkles I can pile on, like exhaust, cams, pistons etc...

Then time off from work to ride the damn thing.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #1485
Gyrene84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
I would love to find a 1999-2002 Honda CBR1100XX with low miles.
Gyrene84 is offline   Reply With Quote