User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #181
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
Three day ride in NB

Here's an option for a three day ride in NB. This trail connects from NS and has 100K or so of pavement. Kent County is MUDDY, BOGGY, bear shit mud that big adventure bikes are no fun in. We can do a loop, or even go to North West NB and over to Quebec to make it longer. I can make a few plans for people who want to continue on from there, but i'm only available for an extended weekend type of ride.

Part of this would follow the same section that DockingPilot and friends were travelling a coupel of years back, and go through some even nicer country.

What say U?
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #182
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdoc View Post
Maybe a general get together just to see who is serious would be in order , for the NB riders say Moncton or Saint John ?

I would be game for a Saturday ride to meet up and discuss
Good most Sat/Sundays for something like this

fastredbike screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 03:40 PM
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:23 AM   #183
fastredbike
recovering

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner32 View Post
Here's an option for a three day ride in NB. This trail connects from NS and has 100K or so of pavement. Kent County is MUDDY, BOGGY, bear shit mud that big adventure bikes are no fun in. We can do a loop, or even go to North West NB and over to Quebec to make it longer. I can make a few plans for people who want to continue on from there, but i'm only available for an extended weekend type of ride.

Part of this would follow the same section that DockingPilot and friends were travelling a coupel of years back, and go through some even nicer country.

What say U?
I think we should use Mount Carleton Provincial Park as a central location or basecamp. It's about 600km from Hali, 500 from Quebec City, less than a million miles from The Rock and <750 from New Hampshire etc. In other words an easy reach for lots of riders in the region. Facilities are great, with cabins, very private campsites and a couple of large group camping sites available. I believe there are also a lot of opportunities for stealth camping nearby if you didn't want to buy a park pass or if the place gets full (and it does book up in summer) - though I can't guarantee stealth camping as a lot of the land is posted by logging and mining companies up there now. There's a town not too far away for fuel and other supplies but the park itself feels very remote.

August 6th is a holiday for many of us so maybe the 4th, 5th, 6th would be a good time - usually the weather's a bit drier in Aug. There are lots of ways to get there and many could be really interesting and a ton of riding around the Mount Carelton area once you are there.

I'm thinking there could easily be groups riding Zaner's "MUDDY BOGGY" routes and others interested in more "genteel" rides then meeting back at a central point to swap lies enjoy a cool beverage.

Those afraid of blackflies and mosquitos should take a pass on the whole area, though, until January or so.

Does anybody else think we should be considering a dedicated thread on this?

fastredbike screwed with this post 04-28-2012 at 06:13 AM
Old 04-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #184
Fundy Rider
Where 2?

Oddometer: 233
First off Zaner32 thanks for taking the time to try and give this thread some direction and movement. It's been quite stale as of late.

I like what Zaner has come up with and willing to do it's just that I'd rather take my ktm 950 than my klr. So much more fun and the muddy boggy riding erases that if it is more than a few spots. I just may decide to take the klr. It's do for a good thrashing, and very curious about that route.

Looking at the loop though it isn't far at all from Mt. Carleton and we could have the best of both worlds. The lighter bikes could do the tighter dirtier stuff but still meet up in Carleton for at least a few beers and maybe some rides with the bigger bikes if they have the time. At least a meet.

From Carleton we could go our different ways and the ones that could go on for awhile longer we could continue on in a westerly direction and end up doing some rail lines and dirt roads and end up just near McAdam at a place Called Spednic Lake Provincial park where it,s in an area that is fantastic for dual sports. Spednic is forty minutes from the St. Stephen/Calais Maine border and five minutes from the St.Croix/ Vanceboro Maine border.

Also any of our American friends willing to come up and heading south or anyone for that matter your welcome to stay at my place in St. Stephen to make your trip home easier without having to set up camp.

Fundy Rider screwed with this post 04-28-2012 at 07:20 AM
Fundy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #185
Fundy Rider
Where 2?

Oddometer: 233
By the way Zaner32 I read a thread about the mitas D-09 and you had a set on your gs 800.

What did you think of them?
Old 04-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #186
zaner32
In over my head

99% of the tracks in the image are doable in a Honda Civic, so even a GSA or big VStrom would have no issue.

I'm only open in September. July is out (Family vacation), August is out (2 week adventure trip on big bikes). But If you guys want to go ahead during summer, I can help with planning and logistics, and possibly pre run some areas.

I've heard lately that there are possible washouts on some of the main roads. While the main are usually fixed expeditously, some spots might require a detour. Forest Service (DNR) requires that the timberland companies fix the roads in order to get access in case of forest fires.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #187
Sawdoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Looks like the August dates would not work for me ( not that it really matters much ) i and an old riding buddy should be making Calgary by then, heading on south to Vegas then back in NB by the 14 or 15 th of August.

But, i really think the meet is a great idea and i would be willing to help out in any way that i can in hopes that it becomes a annual thing. I live North of Fredericton and have done Mount Carleton many times on my KLR and my GS so i would certinatly be able to assit ( read ride for a day ) with scouting if some of you guys think it necassary.

The other potential camping area (should Mount Carleton not suit everyone ) is Govenors Lodge , they normally arent booked that time of the year and have lots of space to camp if the cabins are full, a great center lodge and gas as well, not to far from the park. There are a few of us from my local area that have hauled bikes in to the lodge midsummer to use as a base camp and were treated really well !

A dedicated thread might just be a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastredbike View Post
I think we should use Mount Carleton Provincial Park as a central location or basecamp. It's about 600km from Hali, 500 from Quebec City, less than a million miles from The Rock and <750 from New Hampshire etc. In other words an easy reach for lots of riders in the region. Facilities are great, with cabins, very private campsites and a couple of large group camping sites available. I believe there are also a lot of opportunities for stealth camping nearby if you didn't want to buy a park pass or if the place gets full (and it does book up in summer) - though I can't guarantee stealth camping as a lot of the land is posted by logging and mining companies up there now. There's a town not too far away for fuel and other supplies but the park itself feels very remote.

August 6th is a holiday for many of us so maybe the 4th, 5th, 6th would be a good time - usually the weather's a bit drier in Aug. There are lots of ways to get there and many could be really interesting and a ton of riding around the Mount Carelton area once you are there.

I'm thinking there could easily be groups riding Zaner's "MUDDY BOGGY" routes and others interested in more "genteel" rides then meeting back at a central point to swap lies enjoy a cool beverage.

Those afraid of blackflies and mosquitos should take a pass on the whole area, though, until January or so.

Does anybody else think we should be considering a dedicated thread on this?

This is also where most people write something insightful ......
Sawdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #188
fastredbike
recovering

so it sounds like finding a spot to put up a tent (or book a cabin), light a fire and open up a cold one won't be a problem as there are multiple good suggestions. There was a lot of interest last time this topic was being tossed around in a rolling-type event so that's probably the best way to go - easy with the suggested locations we have.

All we need is dates. In my experience Aug and Sep usually sees less rain than July. But I've ridden and camped in rain lots anyway and I'm pretty sure I will again - if I'm being honest, I prefer dry.

Does somebody know how to set up one of those survey things so we can post up some options and get some feedback on which dates work best for most? Maybe a new thread in the Canada forum with that as the first post or have people post their preferred dates. I have no idea how you do that survey thing but in reviewing this thread it seems like picking a date is where things get bogged down each time.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #189
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundy Rider View Post
Also any of our American friends willing to come up and heading south or anyone for that matter your welcome to stay at my place in St. Stephen to make your trip home easier without having to set up camp.

don't worrry, I'm watching the thread....
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:20 AM   #190
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundy Rider View Post
just near McAdam at a place Called Spednic Lake Provincial park where it,s in an area that is fantastic for dual sports. Spednic is forty minutes from the St. Stephen/Calais Maine border and five minutes from the St.Croix/ Vanceboro Maine border.

I would like to do a sunday ride sometime in the Spednic area. been looking at it on the maps for awhile....
I'm in the Bangor area so an early rise and I'm across the border in about 2 hrs...

would make a nice loop in the US side in that area, crossing at Vanceboro..
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:08 AM   #191
zaner32
In over my head

Wink No worries

Camping areas are not going to be an issue. Anywhere.
Sears Lake
Mullins Lake
Sheephouse Falls
California Lake
Serpentine Lake
First Lake
Moose Valley
Mt Carleton
Kedgwick
Kouchibouguac Park
Fundy Park... Well you get the idea. No problem where you're going to end up, there'll be camping. These are located in the central/northern areas.

One issue and recommendation... Plan for a place with some cottages nearby. For the folk who are camping adverse or in case of a massive downpour that day. What's nice is that most of the places below are not busy in the summertime but I'd give a heads up to Alyre(Serpentine) or Mark(Governors) ahead of time if you're going there so they can make sure they have enough food for everyone.
Serpentine Lodge
Governors Lodge
Portage Lake Camps
Island Lake Club
Kedgwick

There'd be nothing wrong with having two groups(one leaving the south west region, St-Stephen/McAdam area, and another leaving the Moncton area and meeting somewhere for the evening. Then the whole group could ride together the second ,third ...days. Then, on the last day, split off back to their respective locations or continue their trip as they'd like.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:14 AM   #192
Sawdoc
Adventurer

I think that some of us here in NB and Maine really need to get together, even if just to meet one another and have a reason for a ride, my sundays are generaly free, even today and short notice is not a issue. Maybe do some ralley talk ??

Any thoughts ?

Old 04-29-2012, 05:33 AM   #193
zaner32
In over my head

Let me know when/where... I'll try to make it.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:56 AM   #194
Sawdoc
Adventurer

How about a suggestion of next Sunday after lunch , shall we say Saint John area, that more or less splits the difference between Moncton, Fundy region, Maine ( well its a stretch ) Fredericton and my location.

Maybe we can meet out at the Irving Big Stop , Route 1 near Quispamsis

By the way, i hadn,t intended to leave out the riders from other provinces, just figured it may be a bit of a ride !

Jump in here anytime gents ..........

Old 04-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #195
fastredbike
recovering

next Sunday (May 6th) works, that location would be OK with me.