Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2010, 07:28 AM   #16
Gravehunter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Regardless of outcome the S10 is solid competition for the BMW and will be good for everyone in the long run!
Maybe it will spark BMW engineers to figure out how to make a reliable FD!!
Old 11-17-2011, 05:31 AM   #17
KraigD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Thumb OLD thread but have 2cents

Bought a 2010 GSA with 1900 miles on it 2 weeks ago. I put 1000 miles on it the first week, I was in love. (PS this is my 14th GS, 27th BMW and my 63rd bike). I took a short trip down to Atlanta from Knoxville Tn. Final drive started leaking at 2900 miles, got it fixed in Atlanta at the last min before the dealer closed for the next 2 days. I would have been stuck, AND PISSED. They got me in and out in 30 min.no problem just the outer seal. Jumped on the bike and hammered out 500 mile. Go to my garage 4 days later and the final drive is covered in oil. Its been at my local dealer for 5 days. I am sure this problem is now fixed and I hope the new owner has no more problems, Bike is SOLD and I am going to pick up a new Tenere. BMW has let me down one to many times, this is not my first final drive issue and the dealer net work is way to small. Looking forward to a Yamaha problem free mount and 20k valve adjustments.
KraigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:21 AM   #18
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,192
Go and look over here http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php

There are a couple of things to keep an eye on. Not a big deal but just things to check, so you don't end up with little preventable annoyances.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #19
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,570
Both these bikes are getting some more competition with the impending launch of the Triumph Tiger1200 Explorer. Should be an interesting fight. And if my Triumph experience of complete reliability is anything to go by it'll beat them both at everything.

And, before anyone also includes the Versys1000 and the Crosstourer. I don't consider them in the same class as they don't have a 19" front wheel so are not intended to venture onto dirt roads at all.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #20
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,203
Several of my friends have the GS. I have ridden the GS and was impressed with
the ride and handling. I admit I've always had a soft spot for Japanese imports.
I worked at a shop that sold both BMW and Honda/Yamaha.

I bought the Tenere. So far I've really enjoyed it. Probably been a little more
aggressive off road than I should have been. Bent both wheels. I don't blame
Yamaha and can't wait to get the wheels back from Woody's to do it again.

It was a combination of many little reasons I went with the Yamaha. Dependability
being tops. I can't think of a single failure I've had on my Yamahas. My Strom too.

Dependabilty is important to me. I buy the things to ride, not to worry about.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #21
JHa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
And, before anyone also includes the Versys1000 and the Crosstourer. I don't consider them in the same class as they don't have a 19" front wheel so are not intended to venture onto dirt roads at all.
Check the facts first...Crosstourer: front 110/80-19 and rear 150/70-17.
JHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #22
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraigD View Post
Bought a 2010 GSA with 1900 miles on it 2 weeks ago. I put 1000 miles on it the first week, I was in love. (PS this is my 14th GS, 27th BMW and my 63rd bike). I took a short trip down to Atlanta from Knoxville Tn. Final drive started leaking at 2900 miles, got it fixed in Atlanta at the last min before the dealer closed for the next 2 days. I would have been stuck, AND PISSED. They got me in and out in 30 min.no problem just the outer seal. Jumped on the bike and hammered out 500 mile. Go to my garage 4 days later and the final drive is covered in oil. Its been at my local dealer for 5 days. I am sure this problem is now fixed and I hope the new owner has no more problems, Bike is SOLD and I am going to pick up a new Tenere. BMW has let me down one to many times, this is not my first final drive issue and the dealer net work is way to small. Looking forward to a Yamaha problem free mount and 20k valve adjustments.
Welcome to the group, Kraig

I rent Beemers in my travels, respect what they can do, and know the bikes pretty well. By tech specs, the Beemer wins in almost all ways other than price, and I'll never fault anybody for wanting to own one. But my money went to the Yamaha and I'm still glad. I guess that I just never drank enough blue cool-aid to accept the BMW quirks.

It took a thousand miles for the XTZ to break in and the thing just seems to be getting better as it goes.

Checks
Old 11-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #23
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
When it comes to fun, I do not care about fuel consumption but... when traveling long distances on remote areas like Western Texas, Dakotas, etc., fuel economy matters as it heavily dictates the range between stops. Under the same riding conditions, what is the expected MPG of SuperT vs. R12GS ?
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #24
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by olie View Post
When it comes to fun, I do not care about fuel consumption but... when traveling long distances on remote areas like Western Texas, Dakotas, etc., fuel economy matters as it heavily dictates the range between stops. Under the same riding conditions, what is the expected MPG of SuperT vs. R12GS ?
They're nearly the same, with 40-ish or less when riding fast or hard twisties, 50-ish if commuting gently.

Kinda figures since they are pushing roughly the same size hole through the air, have similar displacement in the engines, roughly similar weights, and use the same tires.

Tank size-wise, they roughly similar as well and I plan for 200 mile ranges in both, even though I can nurse either into the 250-ish range without much trouble. It just means slowing down and keeping a constant throttle hand.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:28 AM   #25
KraigD
Gnarly Adventurer

Not sure the GS or GSA can get 50mpg. I get 37 to 42 tops. The tenere has a 6.6 gallon tank At 40 mpg on the tenere I should be able to pull off 225 miles with a few more to go. I like to stop every 200 miles or so anyway. But If your final drive goes out MPG does not matter. I might wait till the snow starts to fall or the end of the year is near and try to get a great deal on the Yamaha.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #26
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Not sure the GS or GSA can get 50mpg. I get 37 to 42 tops.
It's pretty easy to get 46mpg on the S10. I've seen as high as 49, and others have reported over 50. Around town it dips into the 30s, but then my Vee gets into the high 20's on the same commute, so the S10 is still ahead.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #27
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Not sure the GS or GSA can get 50mpg. I get 37 to 42 tops. The tenere has a 6.6 gallon tank At 40 mpg on the tenere I should be able to pull off 225 miles with a few more to go. I like to stop every 200 miles or so anyway. But If your final drive goes out MPG does not matter. I might wait till the snow starts to fall or the end of the year is near and try to get a great deal on the Yamaha.
The Tenere has a 6 gallon tank. I get on average about 45MPG(city/highway driving). If I'm in a hurry,then this goes way down. Yep, I start looking for a gas station after riding about 200 miles to be on the safe side.

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #28
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,045
Quote:
I might wait till the snow starts to fall or the end of the year is near and try to get a great deal on the Yamaha.
Sent you a PM about a good deal on one in the southeast.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #29
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
I might wait till the snow starts to fall or the end of the year is near and try to get a great deal on the Yamaha.
Not sure where you are, but Romney Cycles WV, will do you one for $12750 (as of October). Don't think time of year is going to matter at that price...

Trevor
Old 11-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #30
KraigD
Gnarly Adventurer

Picked up a new 2012 Tenere today with 4 miles on it for $12,200.00 Out the door. Now I did buy it in SC so I will need to pay sales tax in Tn. But no freight or set up. I think that has to be cost or darn close. I hear the Tenere is going to have a price increase soon. Think I got a great deal. Now time to buy all the cool stuff.