http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743886
Saso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #77
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saso View Post
No shit. When you read all this opinion crap you realize the only one that counts is your own.

There are several reasons I didn't buy the BMW. None were based on others opinion.

What is up with wanting 9 gallon gas tanks? Really? People bitching about weight
and wanting to run to 7-11 with 54lbs of gas. I've never needed more than an extra couple
gallons running to Prudhoe. True hard cores will run an aux tank. I think the rest of us
can survive with a jerry can on those rare remote rides. Wait, that's just my opinion.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #78
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
No shit. When you read all this opinion crap you realize the only one that counts is your own.

There are several reasons I didn't buy the BMW. None were based on others opinion.

What is up with wanting 9 gallon gas tanks? Really? People bitching about weight
and wanting to run to 7-11 with 54lbs of gas. I've never needed more than an extra couple
gallons running to Prudhoe. True hard cores will run an aux tank. I think the rest of us
can survive with a jerry can on those rare remote rides. Wait, that's just my opinion.
pluric, you're right. Those jugs windshield cleaner comes in? Used those to haul gas many a time. Go 50 miles, dump the jug in the tank, flatten it then burn it at night in the camp fire(can go WOOOSH tho).
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:01 PM   #79
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by roarin calhoun View Post
pluric, you're right.... (can go WOOOSH tho).

WOOOSH is fun though. Lot cheaper than the GSA tank going WOOOSH.

In Austrlia we call it tailkinn' shit and taking the piss.

You get a bunch of S10 and XT660 owners together and you get the same thing, except mostly it's just fun around the campfire.
Maybe it's just different at Starbucks where peoples manhood is on the line along with the 29.9 litres of fuel left in the tank.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 11-22-2011 at 10:14 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #80
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Yeah Graham,this dual sportin with yer pals is a lotta fun,ain't it---where ever you are. Talkin bikes & dirt is too. Interesting. Keeps the horrible boredoms away.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:20 AM   #81
CajunRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Yeah Graham,this dual sportin with yer pals is a lotta fun,ain't it---where ever you are. Talkin bikes & dirt is too. Interesting. Keeps the horrible boredoms away.
Boredoms??? When you're on a trip with a bike???

Man... pack up the tent and go ride some more!! THAT keeps my boredoms away!!
CajunRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:12 AM   #82
Bain Dramage
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
It will be interesting to see if anyone enters the The Iron Butt Rally riding a Super T.

Lots of GS and GSA bikes have entered and made it to the finish line.

Just sayin...
Bain Dramage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:47 AM   #83
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain Dramage View Post
It will be interesting to see if anyone enters the The Iron Butt Rally riding a Super T.

Just sayin...
jap bikes are extremly reliable (personal experience, Ive owned many).I dont know why you would even question their ability to finish.
high dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:16 AM   #84
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:

Just sayin...
The FJR has become a staple of the Iron Butt and so many of us come from the FJRs that there will inevitably be Super-Tens. Having done a Saddle Sore the week before last, to me this is a no brainer. The bike is easy to set up for LD, too.

Gotta git me a cruise control mounted......
Old 11-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #85
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:

Just sayin...
Lots have NOT made it too. And I've seen reports of some carrying a spare final drive for a quick roadside repair...

Trevor
Old 11-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #86
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akita Man View Post
That is the most awesome video I have seen EVER. Unfortunately I feel like the most inept rider of all time. I no longer want to hear your guys complaining about the lenght of travel or quality of your suspension...This guys has exactly 0.00" of travel on his and is taking 12' drops backwards!!!

I sve this to favorites...Thanks for sharing.
You are welcome. Thought everyone would enjoy it.
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #87
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Heck no I haven't. I read books mostly,not mags. The response I made which you determined to be evidence of my"head in the sand" was to posts by one Podman who declared he saw where the GS was superior to the S10 in dirt.He gave no specifics & offered NO stinkie linkie(at least any I saw.If I missed one,my badd). Seems to me if you're going to declare something on a blog, support it. Unsupported assertion is troll gruel. WHY is the GS better in dirt than the S10. ALL my opinions on the subject are formed from hands-on experience in the Rocky Mountains with BOTH bikes(nearest magazine stand is over 100 miles away). My opinions can be wrong,often are(I have witnesses)that's why I'd like some SPECIFICS posted on here so they can be discussed. That is all. Til somebody shows me why I'm wrong,I think the Tenere is at least the equal of the GS on dirt.At least. One thing about jap bikes vs BMWs I've seen stated is BMWs have character while jap bikes often seem "neutral". I experienced that sensation once between a new RT & a new ST1100. I bought the RT. Big mistake. After I corrected it & got the ST it dawned on me that "neutral" is competence, "characater" ain't"--my view only. I could be wrong. WHAT is it the magazine scribblers claim is better about the GS in dirt than the S10? Just askin.
Ok RC let us get just a few things straight. First off my name is mike but yes I go by podman ( I'm a foot doc) no brainer on that one. Second, I did not declare anything and go read my posts again. MCN issue out dirt/street and how MCN saw it period. Not my opinion but MCN's opinion. Holy crap it was like I insulted the queen by some of the responses I got. I'm a "BMW salesman, a BMW rider, a child, a shithtead(I know that)". Read my profile it's there- my bike, profession and age - I really have nothing to hide. I have had lots of bikes in my 41 years of riding. I have enjoyed them, crashed them, slid them, worked on and fixed them, hated some but still have a passion for them and hope to for a few more years. Nough said.

Mike
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #88
AL-58
BMWs make good landfill

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Maybe it's just different at Starbucks where peoples manhood is on the line along with the 29.9 litres of fuel left in the tank.
Might be why we pretty well don't have Starbucks here any more Graham.

Al

AL-58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #89
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL-58 View Post
Might be why we pretty well don't have Starbucks here any more Graham.

Al
Explains the need for the large tank. How far did they move it to?
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #90
AL-58
BMWs make good landfill

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Explains the need for the large tank. How far did they move it to?
Closed most of them in Australia due to lack of business/profitability. They didn't provide anything that wasn't already available(good coffee is easy to get here), only kept the profitable locations and closed the rest. There are 2 left in my state.

Only had one experience of Starbucks myself and that was to meet someone in Edinburgh(Scotland).

Al

AL-58 is offline   Reply With Quote