User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #316
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,941
Any man that has been to sea, on a racing sailboat knows that there are few places more beautiful, inspiring, threatening, dangerous and rewarding as the open ocean.

The most beautiful things I have ever seen were at sea, other than the births of my children.

The most frightening natural forces I've ever experienced were at sea.

The most exhilarated I've ever been was surfing a Santa Cruz 50 in 40knot winds, at speeds approaching 30 knots. It was also, on this very sail, that we crashed, the spinnaker sheet fouled, and we were dragged through the surf, sideways, on our ears, until someone, dove under about 6 - 8 feet of water to free the sheet and we popped up. During this "maneuver" I was standing on the stern pulpits starboard rail, holding on to the port side of the rail and up to my armpits in green water.

My greatest accomplishment was winning a major ocean race that took an entire year of planning, practice and a major portion of my life savings to do.

I think that motorcycling and sailing hold somethings in common. The purity of focus needed to survive, the solitude of open ocean or the endless road before us, the forces of nature, and the knowledge that getting home alive requires your full attention, expecially when things are roughest. While it's not something that sailors or riders are consciously thinking about, all the time, it is what we do, out of necessity, in order to simply do what we love to do. It is not a death wish, it is not an adrenaline rush, it isn't even a challenge to nature, while you're doing it. It isn't until after it's over that you realize that you've experienced all of that, automatically, instinctively, and the satisfaction and peace that come from the experience is what drives us.

R.I.P. to the five that perished, doing what they love, at the highest possible level of their beings. You will be missed, even by those who never knew you.

To the three that survived, feel no remorse nor guilt. You did nothing to contribute to the loss of your friends. The immutable forces of nature simply proved, again, that we, mankind, are not capable of competing with the forces of destiny.

We all try, in our own individual ways to prepare for the worst, whether that's ATTGATT, or full safety equip while on board, but we have no concept of "worst" until we have experienced it and the loss it can produce.

Ride safely! Bless you all.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #317
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,203
This is a really good video and shows a bit of what it's like to sail the really big boats.

Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #318
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
The most exhilarated I've ever been was surfing a Santa Cruz 50 in 40knot winds, at speeds approaching 30 knots..
welll written but......
30?

your knot meter resemble this maybe?

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #319
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

A few weeks ago they had an event for Sail Newport (community sailing) in a theater in town.

At one point the director of Sail Newport (Brad Read) got his brother Kenny on the satcom. Kenny is the skipper of Puma's entry in the Volvo Round the World Race.

This was during the southern ocean leg. Kenny was talking about their high speeds. Apparently they use a sonic speed sensor that is embedded in the keel bulb. He explained that they didn't know that the display stopped at 30 knots until this leg when they came down a few waves and the unit went blank until they decelerated.

This is on a fully tricked modern VOR 70.

I love the post. From my own experience once your back on land the waves were bigger, the wind was stronger and the boat went faster.

So California, good on ya, I get your post. What was the major race? Congratulations on the win, it's sweet isn't it?
Old 04-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #320
nomiles
Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer: 3,995
Quote:
Any man that has been to sea, on a racing sailboat knows that there are few places more beautiful, inspiring, threatening, dangerous and rewarding as the open ocean.

The most beautiful things I have ever seen were at sea, other than the births of my children.

The most frightening natural forces I've ever experienced were at sea.
+1

This is soooooooooooo true.

Psalm 107

They that go down to the sea in ships, and occupy their business in great waters. These men see the works of the Lord; and his wonders in the deep...
Old 04-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #321
California
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
welll written but......
30?

your knot meter resemble this maybe?

On the way to Hawaii, in the trades, surfing, we regularly hit the mid 20's and occassionally, even though we didn't witness the knot meter read it out, we were too busy screaming with joy and fear, we know we reached 27 or 28, and maybe higher. Somewhere, I have a log of the highest speeds reached by all 8 aboard, and it was awesome! Everytime we'd catch a great big wave, we'd all scream and urge her forward, then write in grease pencil on the cabin what we reached

Bt the 6th day, whoever was at the helm would complain and bitch if they weren't getting the good waves and gusts and anything under 20k seemed boring......

California screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 03:27 PM
Old 04-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #322
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Quote:
On the way to Hawaii, in the trades, surfing, we regularly hit the mid 20's and occassionally, even though we didn't witness the knot meter read it out, we were to busy screaming with joy and fear, we know we reached 27 or 28, and maybe higher. Somewhere, I have a log of the highest speeds reached by all 8 aboard, and it was awesome! Everytime we'd catch a great big wave, we'd all scream and urge her forward, then write in grease pencil on the cabin what we reached

Bt the 6th day, whoever was at the helm would complain and bitch if they weren't getting the good waves and gusts and anything under 20k seemed boring......
Is the Transpac the race you won?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #323
Beamklamp
Velvet Burrito

Oddometer: 3,818
Damn nooby here, I want to learn to sail and I doon't mind starting small.
Would that be hobiecat's? Living in landlocked NM we still have lakes generous enough for for all sizes. Just don't know where to begin..I be more than happy to deliver,help setup launch, take sharp directions, throw up on command. Not ready to throw large dollars at it........just looking for a place to learn basics and up.

You may have suggestions?
Please advise the dryfoot........Tell the desert dweller.

tank you bery muches
Old 04-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #324
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamklamp View Post
Would that be hobiecat's? Living in landlocked NM we still have lakes generous enough for for all sizes. Just don't know where to begin..I be more than happy to deliver,help setup launch, take sharp directions, throw up on command. Not ready to throw large dollars at it........just looking for a place to learn basics and up.

tank you bery muches
I know nothing about community sailing in the lakes but if you really, really want to learn to sail I'd say take a vacation to participate in J-World of Steve Colgate's Sailing School.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #325
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamklamp View Post

tank you bery muches
The very first thing you can do is hoof it down to the library and get books on sailing that will help you understand the language. You'll be expected to be able to grab a jib sheet and not mistake it for a boom vang.
I started the poor mans way; I hung around the local marinas and introduced myself to sailboat owners and shared my desire to learn to sail. Eventually I started getting rides and finally bought my own boat.
I'm sure the good-sized reservoirs in your area have sailing clubs that welcome noobs and god knows you got wind in NM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #326
California
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
Is the Transpac the race you won?
Yes, 1983, 1st Class A on corrected time. Oaxaca, Santa Cruz 50. Also 3rd overall finisher

Old 04-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #327
nomiles
Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer: 3,995
Quote:
Yes, 1983, 1st Class A on corrected time. Oaxaca, Santa Cruz 50. Also 3rd overall finisher
Fast is Fun!

Old 04-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #328
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomiles View Post
Fast is Fun!

not being able to go upwind can be extremely tedious....

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #329
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Quote:
Congratulations!

As Bill Lee always said, Fast is Fun!

Edit: doh 205'd, beaten to the quote!
Old 04-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #330
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
not being able to go upwind can be extremely tedious....
That's why folks got paid to sail back, or if you tell 'em you can do the round trip you have a much better chance of scoring a ride.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: