User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2004, 02:44 AM   #1
a_k_nicholls OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
R65 G/S Project

Ok I have been thinking about an Airhead G/S, Looking through the spec's that I can find there isnt alot of difference between the R65 R80 & R100 G/S's

The gear ratios are the same except for the final drive, Engine power is similar. The major difference is the wheel base but thats probably due to the longer swing arm.

My thought was to convert my old R65 into a G/S, I can then set it up as I want it & definately have something different.

So what am I missing here, Can anyone see why this wouldnt work. Also before anyone says why dont you just go buy one, I have thought of that but hey where is the fun in that

Words of wisdom
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Go soothingly on the grease mud, As there lurks the skid demon. Press the brake foot as you roll around the corners, And save the collapse and tie up.

F650GS Dakar in Australia
a_k_nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 07:14 PM   #2
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,062
I have heard that the XT600 front ends are good to put on, although it can be tricky in the steering head. Also, some people reinforce the head and a few other weak points with extra welds. Also something about re-welding the rear dual shock mounting points forward to make for an extra inch of clearance.
It sounds like a blast, I want to do it, too.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:26 PM   #3
a_k_nicholls OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
I have heard that the XT600 front ends are good to put on, although it can be tricky in the steering head. Also, some people reinforce the head and a few other weak points with extra welds. Also something about re-welding the rear dual shock mounting points forward to make for an extra inch of clearance.
It sounds like a blast, I want to do it, too.
Hey Stagehand

You know I always figured that there would be a set of forks off a dual sport of some description that you could fit on with out too much agro, Im thinking it may be time to go look into that a bit closer. As for the rear shock I was thinking about getting a pair of something dual sport as well & just making the mounts as needed, At least that way the valving & springs may be a bit better suited to use on dirt. Im just not overly sure how the drive shaft will take the extra angle though. I also agree that the frame does look reasonably week in a few areas too, Nothing a bit of welding & gusseting cant solve though.

Hey if you decide to do yours too we should swap ideas on the way around & see what we come up with.

Cheers
Andrew

Words of wisdom
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Go soothingly on the grease mud, As there lurks the skid demon. Press the brake foot as you roll around the corners, And save the collapse and tie up.

Old 11-07-2004, 09:57 AM   #4
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,062
I think even an old R45 or R60 would provide reasonable power. These things are torque machines, of course. and under 500lbs, usually. I was also thinking and talking to people about the drive shaft angle, and some say that a little extra angle will of course put added strain, but its a toss up between clearance and shaft life. Still probably get at least 30-40K miles before it blew up. Cant expect it to last like a factory setup. But you could have a lot of fun before it went.
The steering head always presents a problem. I have a friend say he managed to use the top bearing from the BMW, and the bottom bearing from the Yamaha, but I got confused... I have also heard people machining new races, because the BMW is larger diameter than the other, and then they use some stock bearings that fit. This part is the part I really cant wrap my head around yet.
I cant really see rotating the engine with new mounts to ease the driveshaft angle. Too many other problems crop up. Can we reasonably expect 4-5 inches of full travel on the rear? if so, the drive could probably take it.
If I hadn't just Cafe'd the old R60 last week, I would try turning it into a monster bike. Thinking of getting an old R45, or 60 with front end damage to fart with.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:07 AM   #5
NAVIGATOR
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_k_nicholls
Ok I have been thinking about an Airhead G/S, Looking through the spec's that I can find there isnt alot of difference between the R65 R80 & R100 G/S's

The gear ratios are the same except for the final drive, Engine power is similar. The major difference is the wheel base but thats probably due to the longer swing arm.

My thought was to convert my old R65 into a G/S, I can then set it up as I want it & definately have something different.

So what am I missing here, Can anyone see why this wouldnt work. Also before anyone says why dont you just go buy one, I have thought of that but hey where is the fun in that
That´s a very interesting priject, if you go ahead with it, please post your ideas and building pics, I am very interested in your project, good luck
NAVIGATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 12:42 PM   #6
a_k_nicholls OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
I think even an old R45 or R60 would provide reasonable power. These things are torque machines, of course. and under 500lbs, usually. I was also thinking and talking to people about the drive shaft angle, and some say that a little extra angle will of course put added strain, but its a toss up between clearance and shaft life. Still probably get at least 30-40K miles before it blew up. Cant expect it to last like a factory setup. But you could have a lot of fun before it went.
The steering head always presents a problem. I have a friend say he managed to use the top bearing from the BMW, and the bottom bearing from the Yamaha, but I got confused... I have also heard people machining new races, because the BMW is larger diameter than the other, and then they use some stock bearings that fit. This part is the part I really cant wrap my head around yet.
I cant really see rotating the engine with new mounts to ease the driveshaft angle. Too many other problems crop up. Can we reasonably expect 4-5 inches of full travel on the rear? if so, the drive could probably take it.
If I hadn't just Cafe'd the old R60 last week, I would try turning it into a monster bike. Thinking of getting an old R45, or 60 with front end damage to fart with.
You know I agree, The power & torque is more that adequate for the job & getting it to be under 400lbs cant be too hard either. I would really like to try to find a longer swing arm though, Probably wont change the front driveshaft joint angle much but will make getting more suspension travel a bit easier. I did see a longer swing arm advertised for sale a while ago & I probably should have bought it, But Im not sure if it was a standard part or one that had been modified. Do you know if there are different length swing arms on the different models by any chance.

With the front fork set up, It probably isnt too hard to make up bearing spacers but wonder if it would be just as easy to fit a fork set up off a wrecked G/S & have it bolt straight on. The only other thing that would be nice is to fabricate a set of bar risers, I really think the bars are too low & too far away to make it comfortable standing up.

Hey post a few pics of your R60, I love seeing other people toys & keep your eye open for an old Airhead coz Im sure this will be a fun project.

Cheers
Andrew

Words of wisdom

Old 11-07-2004, 12:45 PM   #7
a_k_nicholls OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVIGATOR
That´s a very interesting priject, if you go ahead with it, please post your ideas and building pics, I am very interested in your project, good luck
Hey Navigator,

No problem, I will keep the ideas comming & get a few pics when I get started.

Cheers
Andrew

Words of wisdom

Old 11-07-2004, 12:50 PM   #8
O'Hooligan
Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer: 594
I saw a R65 GS that a friend of mine converted and if I remember right, he had forks off some sort of KTM on it. It was/is a great looking bike.
O'Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 02:07 PM   #9
a_k_nicholls OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Hooligan
I saw a R65 GS that a friend of mine converted and if I remember right, he had forks off some sort of KTM on it. It was/is a great looking bike.
Hey Hooligan, You wouldnt have any pics of that floating around by any chance.

Cheers
Andrew

Words of wisdom

Old 11-07-2004, 02:17 PM   #10
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,984
Hi,

for info about swingarms, driveshafts etc you need to talk to paul rooney in Nth NSW. He builds GS specials with big mods from both boxers and and he makes a K75GS. Im sure he could help with info. I'll try and find his phone No for you.
Greg
atgreg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 02:23 PM   #11
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Have a look at

http://www.geocities.com/fwarner_au/...gbmwk75gs.html

and

http://www.users.bigpond.com/rto/gs_...#GS%20Motorrad
Old 11-07-2004, 02:27 PM   #12
a_k_nicholls OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg
Hi,

for info about swingarms, driveshafts etc you need to talk to paul rooney in Nth NSW. He builds GS specials with big mods from both boxers and and he makes a K75GS. Im sure he could help with info. I'll try and find his phone No for you.
Greg
Hey Greg,

Sounds like Paul is the man to talk too as this is really the only thing Im worried about, I would really appreciate it if you could find his number. You know I have always thought that a K bike would make for a better G/S, Its cool that he has made a few.

Cheers
Andrew

Words of wisdom

Old 11-07-2004, 02:33 PM   #13
a_k_nicholls OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Greg,

I knew Frank had the K75 G/S but didnt know of RTO's site, I havent seen Franks bike yet but I think he bought it with the suspension mod's didnt he.

Thanks for the info so far

Cheers
Andrew

Words of wisdom

Old 11-07-2004, 03:33 PM   #14
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_k_nicholls
Thanks Greg,

I knew Frank had the K75 G/S but didnt know of RTO's site, I havent seen Franks bike yet but I think he bought it with the suspension mod's didnt he.
Franks bike was built by Paul Rooney, actually dropping Frank an email may the quickest way to find Paul Rooney's contact.
Greg
Old 11-07-2004, 03:37 PM   #15
Tanami
Under The Weather

Oddometer: 278
Paul Rooneys Work

My Bike was built by Paul Rooney. I contest to the attention to detail and knowledge of this man. I first saw pauls work almost 10 years ago..since that time for me there was no other option...I will keep this bike forever...I believe it is the 15th he has built. not for nix...but a shitload cheaper than HPN.

see:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46935

for a ride report (sorry about pic quality..but we are on dial up at home). Happy to discuss this job/expectations-realities costs/ etc..and will be at Toowoomba GS Day...

cheers,

Stu
Tanami is offline   Reply With Quote