ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2015, 05:20 AM   #1
Bhart89 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
What are my options to get a new Yamaha 660 Tenere in the US?

As a U.S. resident, what are my options to get a new Yamaha Tenere 660? Can I import one? Are there dealers that specialize in selling bikes not made for the U.S. To the USA? Is the 660 sold in Mexico or Canada? If so, can I buy one there and bring it back?
Bhart89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:36 AM   #2
Morgan Steele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Tough sledding ahead. But, if you're committed, you can start here:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...g-a-motorcycle. I think you'll also be dealing with EPA, NHTSA, and your local motor vehicle department who will provide you with varying levels of aggravation. Good luck.
Morgan Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:36 AM   #3
Spaggy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Not sold in Canada. Yes, available in Mexico.
Check this web site to see if it's admissible.http://www.bordercenter.org/chem/vehicles.htm
Spaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:10 AM   #4
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhart89 View Post
As a U.S. resident, what are my options to get a new Yamaha Tenere 660? Can I import one? Are there dealers that specialize in selling bikes not made for the U.S. To the USA? Is the 660 sold in Mexico or Canada? If so, can I buy one there and bring it back?

In theory the answer is yes. In practice, the answer is no.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
Lowcountry25
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I know they are here because I passed one in the rain last spring, headed west on I-65 in Mississippi. It was brown. I was so shocked to see it that I didn't think to look and see where the plate was from, but it was definitely an XT660Z.

Lowcountry25 screwed with this post 01-16-2015 at 12:07 PM Reason: added stock photo
Lowcountry25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #6
ViperJustin
Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer: 697
Yes, it has its faults. But the Tenere 660 is my dream adventure bike.

Bhart89, if you import one, can you keep this thread up to date? Thanks!
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:35 PM   #7
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 19,403
Establish residency in Mexico (actually not hard to do) & still live in the US.
You still have a US passport but are granted resident status & thus can buy a vehicle in Mexico.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com.mx/xt660tenere.html

I still think there is a US state out there that you could register the bike as a kit or home build.

Financially it's gonna cost alot. You could buy a TR650 or KTM690 cheaper in the end or buy a completely moded DR650 with pumper carb and all.

Japan Inc. is just not interested in selling fuel injected 650 dual-sports in the US.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 01-16-2015 at 05:41 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:03 AM   #8
Bhart89 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Thanks for all the great info.
Bhart89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:30 AM   #9
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,949
The bike you saw would have either had a manufacturer demo tag, or one from another country. If you are not a registered (NHTSA) manufacturer, you can't get the former. The latter are only good for one year and there is no renewal without taking the vehicle out of the US.

As an individual US citizen, it will prohibitive to try to import one yourself and get it on the road. The EPA testing alone for the exhaust will cost about what the bike is worth and possibly more.

Besides, the 660 is a bit aged when compared to a number of bikes currently offered.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:00 PM   #10
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 19,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
The bike you saw would have either had a manufacturer demo tag, or one from another country. If you are not a registered (NHTSA) manufacturer, you can't get the former. The latter are only good for one year and there is no renewal without taking the vehicle out of the US.

As an individual US citizen, it will prohibitive to try to import one yourself and get it on the road. The EPA testing alone for the exhaust will cost about what the bike is worth and possibly more.

Besides, the 660 is a bit aged when compared to a number of bikes currently offered.
There have been several RR of Euros touring the US on 660. More than likely it was one of those riders. RTWpaul tried to stop in at Yamaha NA in Cali with his 660 and they could not give a damn and told him don't bother.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:23 AM   #11
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 15,224
Quote:

Like what? The only bike that could be considered newer tech is a KTM 690 and it's just an evolution of an engine they stole from Husky by way of Husaberg back in the 90's.

The 660 is miles ahead of the KLR650, DR650 and XR650L.

Suspension could be considered dated compared to a 690, but on par with current Japanese offerings in the USA.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:04 AM   #12
Bt10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I looked at doing this for a car awhile ago. If I remember correctly, your already owned, personal, "used" car was significantly easier to import than a new one. Hope you find a way.
Bt10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:59 AM   #13
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Like what? The only bike that could be considered newer tech is a KTM 690 and it's just an evolution of an engine they stole from Husky by way of Husaberg back in the 90's.

The 660 is miles ahead of the KLR650, DR650 and XR650L.

Suspension could be considered dated compared to a 690, but on par with current Japanese offerings in the USA.
I've rented a 660 and ridden the 690. The 660 is a great in-town street bomber on tight roads in Europe, but has the weight of the current generation of twins. The biggest advantage the 660 has is the bigger front wheel than most of the twins.

In singles, the KTM you seem to dismiss as old tech is 34 pounds lighter AND has a lower CG so feels MUCH less. Plus, the KTM has nearly half again the horsepower of the Yamaha. (67 vs 47). It's FAR more fun, nimble, and can still do the light touring bit. While the Yam costs less where both bikes are sold, it's not massively less (8-10%).
Old 01-23-2015, 08:40 AM   #14
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt10 View Post
I looked at doing this for a car awhile ago. If I remember correctly, your already owned, personal, "used" car was significantly easier to import than a new one. Hope you find a way.
Being as I'm a nice guy! If bhart89 buys a bike in the UK I'll thrash it round for a while and get it looking all used and dirty. Then he can ship it to the states
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:02 AM   #15
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 15,224
Quote:

In singles, the KTM you seem to dismiss as old tech

I was trying to dismiss the entire brand.

I'm still baffled as to why the three 660 models aren't sold in the USA. I don't own a single cylinder motorcycle right now, I want to, but the current offerings don't interest me.