ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #1
Phat Ham OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
What is typical tire runout?

Got new tires (Michelin Anakee 3) mounted on my tiger 800 roadie. Immediately felt the dreaded "tiger bounce," which I was not getting previously. I took the bike back to the shop and asked if he could rebalance the front tire. He put the front wheel on his balancing machine and showed me that it was reading "0". I did notice that while the wheel/tire was spinning on the balacing machine the tire looked to be out of round. To my naked eye it looked like maybe a 1-2 mm variance between the highest and lowest spots on the tire as it spun. I mentioned it to the tech and he said that was normal. Does anyone know if this is normal for a motorcycle tire? What is the typical tolerance for runout? Is there a tire runout spec for the tiger 800?
Phat Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,330
If it ain't round, it isn't round..... I think you would feel it on the front of any bike, not just on Tigers.

If I'd bought them new from and fitted by a shop I'd be asking for a free refit, or free replacement of the offending tyre.

The shop's balancing machine may be off and need recalibration (used to have to check our car wheel balancers periodically when I worked in tyre shops decades ago).

But if you can see it is out of round just by eye I don't think the machine will be the problem.

To answer your original question, I don't know what (or even if there is) the accepted tyre run out is for them, sorry.

Hope you get it sorted.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 748
Tires are never perfectly round.

You are talking only 40 to 80 thousands.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
Phat Ham OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
You are talking only 40 to 80 thousands.
To be honest I've never taken a close look at a spinning tire so I don't know what is normal.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:44 AM   #5
Phat Ham OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just an update in case anyone finds this thread in a search:

I took the bike to a second shop and they measured the runout at 2.5 mm. They said that was way out of spec and it should only be a few thousandths at most (2.5mm is about a tenth of an inch, or 100 thousandths). They tried re-seating the bead but that didn't help. Turns out it was a defective tire. Replacement tire was covered under warranty by Michelin.