Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2010, 04:57 AM   #16
Master OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Allright, the fog inside my head is beginning to clear up now.
Thanks to all!

I'll check with the embassy and look for a company to help me out with my bike. I checked with my insurance agency, but my insurance only covers for the european mainland. Have to find a solution for that, maybe there are other companys who cover the world.
Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #17
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,899
You mentioned harvesting in your first post. Can you operate equipment? If so, you'll be fine. I have a friends all over the mid west that would give you a job, a place to stay and recommend neighbours daughters.

PM me if you want some more info.

Also, before you mentioned that you had US citizenship, obtaining a H2A visa for this sort of work is easy after you find someone to sponsor you. There are a ton of agencies doing this sort of work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASgAzoto3Tg
Old 06-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #18
Master OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker
You mentioned harvesting in your first post. Can you operate equipment? If so, you'll be fine. I have a friends all over the mid west that would give you a job, a place to stay and recommend neighbours daughters.

PM me if you want some more info.

Also, before you mentioned that you had US citizenship, obtaining a H2A visa for this sort of work is easy after you find someone to sponsor you. There are a ton of agencies doing this sort of work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASgAzoto3Tg
Thanks for the offer man!
I have never operated equipment, but I'm a fast learner :-). I will not leave sooner than in a year, because I want to finish my studys first, but if the offer still stands over a year, I'll PM you when I'm ready to leave!
Old 06-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #19
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,643
If you want to have fun riding, stay away from the big cities. Also if you post a planned itinerary in advance, you will probably get all kind of offers for places to stay and free meals- that's even cheaper than camping . If you do a ride report on the road and keep it updated you will likely get a big following and lots of offers. The ADV community is really great! Good luck on your trip.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #20
Noone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master
So, here's the plan:

Next summer, I will (finally ) be graduating from university and I have this dream to do a year of motorcycle travelling through the USA. My intention is to do it very low budget (tent and sleeping bag). Since I'm from Europe, I have some practical questions I'd like to ask.

-How do I get my bike there at a very low cost? I intended to find a ship that wants to take me and my bike in exchange for me working on board (maybe in the kitchen or something). Anybody with experience on this matter?

-Can I ride my bike for an entire year with my Belgian License plate or do I have to register to get a US one?

-What about insurance? Do they cover foreign bikes when you have no social security number? Are there other legal matters to be taken care of?

-Is it easy to find temporary jobs to earn some money to live along the road? I'm thinking harvesting or working with cattle or in supermarkets or...

-Any suggestions on things I just have to see or do? Routes to follow? I want to see as many different things and meet as many different people as possible along the way.

-Any other concerns/thoughts/advices/...?

Maybe this might never happen, but I like to keep the dream alive, and making plans somewhat more concrete certainly helps!
I have not done what you plan to do (as I live in the US) however I know a couple of Brits (the UK variety) who air freighted their bikes over. They went through Canada and then rode down. They said it was much cheaper and less hassle than directly shipping to the US.

Also, considering the length of time you wish to be here, it might be a lot cheaper to just buy one here and sell it before you go. I don't know if you need a visa or how long you may remain in the US. Lots of rules have changed since 2001.

I would recommend you visit the nearest US consulate and find out what you may and may not legally do. Make sure to obtain an international driver's license WITH motorcycle endorsement just before you depart. As I remember they are good for one year usually. Some states DO NOT accept licenses from other countries but all will accept an international license.

If you decide to buy a bike here, spend time on the computer to find out which state makes it easiest to buy, title and register a bike. Some states just have too many rules and it isn't worth the trouble.
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #21
Martian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Master, if you're looking to earn some money for the "kitty" the best places are tourist areas in season. You'll be in places that everybody wants to see. There are always more jobs than people to fill them. You'll get to meet and party with women from all over, and nobody goes on vacation to save money so the tips are great. Your language skills will be a big asset in a tourist area, and your accent will open doors that otherwise may be stuck. Learn a transferable skill, such as bartending or waiting tables, and you'll find plenty of work. I traveled by sailboat working as I went; there is always work to be had if you're willing to do it.

EDIT: Oh yeah. If you get to Kansas, I've got a place for you to crash.
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
http://frommars.smugmug.com

Martian screwed with this post 06-09-2010 at 04:41 PM
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #22
Z50R
Not lost yet

Oddometer: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master
I don't know about the translator thing: I do speak Dutch, French and English, but I don't have a language degree (will have a master's degree in veterinary science) so I don't know if one would hire me. Besides, I don't plan to stay in the same place for long.
If your native language is something other than English and you can hold a conversation in English than you should have no problem getting hired as a translator. I'd second looking on Cragislist for "gigs" (anything other than adult) for the type of work you are looking for. I have a friend who goes on there all the time for odd jobs despite having having a good job and an engineering degree. It is kind of an adventure for him and adds $ to his bullshit budget. If you pass by Boston (or want to stay around for a while) let me know and I can at least give you a couch to crash on.
Z50R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:01 AM   #23
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,547
3 or 4grand isn't out of the question to get a bike here and then back to eupore. if your bike isn't that special buy one here and sell it latter. 2 to 4 grand buys a good running bike. 4 grand gets you an older bmw, triumph etc. Not that hard to buy one and insure it here. there are lots of threads about doing that.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:17 AM   #24
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,341
So now that you've peaked our interest, what do you ride at home? And what would you be willing to ride here in the US?
Old 06-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #25
Master OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker
So now that you've peaked our interest, what do you ride at home? And what would you be willing to ride here in the US?
Hehe...
This is my Katie, I love to ride her :

And of course, I'd like to take her on this trip I'm dreaming of, that's why I'm so desperately trying to find a cheap way to smuggle her in.
I did not think about other bikes yet. Guess it would have to be something reliable and cheap if I have to buy one over there.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:32 AM   #26
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,547
I wonder if you could work on a cargo ship for pasage of you and your bike? Honestly there isn't any cheap way there I ve ever heard of flying or shipping a bike there and back.
Nice bike you ve got. You can search for a bike here using
http://www.searchtempest.com/ . it searches all of craglist or by state etc.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:55 AM   #27
Martian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Its been awhile since I did any shipping overseas, but it wasn't all that expensive if you crated it and had it put in a container along with other stuff.
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
http://frommars.smugmug.com
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote